Finding Success on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Paddygsound profile image93
    Paddygsoundposted 5 years ago

I've just finished boot camp recently and I feel like I have started my journey.
    I have yet to achieve any meaningful kind of traffic to my hubs, but I figure I'm just starting out and these things take time.
    My question to everyone is how do you find the most success on HubPages.
    What resources should I wrap my head around to become better at this all?
    I just want to at least find some success as I don't want to get too disheartened just yet, so any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Learn how to write good quality articles that will make it to the niche sites and more than satisfy search queries. Then write more. Make them evergreen if you can so they will endure. Take setbacks in your stride and persevere. The most successful writers on HP have put in, and are still putting in, a lot of hard work.

Listen to good advice, learn from these great comments, follow the rules and if you stick at it you may eventually reap the rewards.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do what everybody else here said.  There are no shortcuts and everything you write matters, including images, polls, videos, etc.  Read articles from those who have posted here to get an idea of what all of them are talking about and stay away from topics that have a lot of competition. The more unique and original your work, the better you will do.  Good luck!

Paddygsoundposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the hints. Good thought about everything matters when it comes to our hubs!

3. Sherry Hewins profile image91
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Keep writing, and learn to enjoy the small achievements. Before I made any substantial money, I watched my traffic grow. Set small goals for yourself; if you're only getting 60 views a day, watch them climb to 100.

I remember the first time I made a dollar in one day, I was very excited. Eventually I made a dollar every day, then I went for 2 dollars.

While you are looking at your stats, notice which subjects are getting the most attention. As you learn which articles are successful, you will get better at writing successful articles.

Thank you for your kind words

4. CWanamaker profile image93
      CWanamakerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It took me over a year to make my first payout on HubPages.  By then I had written over a 100 articles. 

My recommendation is to focus on quality.  Quality is king above all else. 

In addition, here are some tips that have helped me to be successful here:

1. Edit, Edit, Proofread, and Edit Your Articles.  It's tempting to post them "real quick" so you can start earning money.  Resist that temptation.  I usually let my articles mellow out for a few days before I go back and reread them before I finally post them.  It also helps to read them out load.  You'll be surprise how many mistakes you will catch using these tips.

2. Focus on solving a problem or answering a question with your article. This is what people search for online.

3. Keep a running list of every idea that you come up with to write about.  You never know when an idea will come into your head. Things you do at work, interactions with customers, family members, etc can all help with ideas.

4. While SEO is important, I wouldn't recommending spending a lot of time on this.  No matter how much keyword research,  sharing and social bookmarking you do, it may not help much in the long term.   I don't spend much time on this anymore myself. The HubPages platform does a great job in managing a lot of the important SEO elements that are needed to get a lot of traffic.  HubPages wants you to succeed. Google is always changing their algorithm anyways which makes following the changes challenging and time consuming.

5. Develop a system and an environment that facilitates writing.  Use a word processing program to write your articles before copying and pasting them into HubPages.  Create an outline of your main ideas or points for an article and then "fill in" the rest with content. Setup your computer for success.  Get rid of distractions and put on some soothing music (I prefer music without words). Learn to type faster and spend some time making your desk/work station ergonomically correct. If you have trouble typing fast or accurately, try dictation software. Most smartphones will let you use voice to text for emails.  I've written several articles using this method.  You can also enable voice typing in Google Docs for free when using the Chrome browser.

6. Be Patient. Even if you published 100 articles today, it would still take time for the traffic to arrive.

Fantastic tips. I really like the idea of making a space conducive to writing/being creative.  I really fail at that one at the moment.

5. lightingdirector profile image61
      lightingdirectorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Listen to good advice, learn from these great comments, follow the rules and if you stick at it you may eventually reap the rewards.

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LightingDirector, you don't have any articles and your profile looks like you are here to promote a business. That's not going to work.

1. Azalea24 profile image61
          Azalea24posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wonder: do you actually help people or are you just a Negative Nancy?

None of your comments have been constructive, especially this one. Lightningdirector joined a few hours ago. His contribution is in his industry. Which he can tell anyone interested in how to be successful in it.

Lightning: Please don't mind her. Apparently her role is to remind people that they are not as successful as she is and she can't be bothered to actually give a damn

Nice one. Thanks. No, of course I don't help anybody. Not ever. I don't post links to help newbies find the Learning Center. I never make suggestions to help people get their hubs featured. Or to improve their search traffic, or to create better formatted hubs. Nope, none of that.

If you have been here as long as I have you will instantly recognise when someone joins to promote their business. They'll leave forum comments like the one above in the hope people will visit their profile, which is basically an advert.

When you have actually written more than one article, been here for years, helped a few people yourself - then you have the right to judge me.

Cheers.

And the assumptions continue. You assume that because a person is new HERE, that they are new to online writing. You don't know what another person has or has not accomplished on other online sites or in ink.

You yourself are a business. You advertise your expertise in each article written in hope of earning from that knowledge. Or maybe you just like to make people think before jumping in the pool. Who knows.

There isn't anything wrong with helping someone. There is something wrong with belittling someone for not being who you are on 1 site.

Says the one making assumptions and belittling me in public. Read what I wrote again. I am referring to writing on HubPages. I'm pretty sure I made no assumptions about your level of expertise other than you have been here five weeks and have one hub.

If you take the time to read the ToS, you'll find that advertising another business here is referred to as self-promotion. That person's profile is promoting their company. It's not permitted. Not my rules.

So knowing that information gives that hubber a chance to change it, if they actually want to write here. Like I said, often they post comments with the intention of self-promotion. If staff don't like it, they'll delete his account.

You don't know me, and I find your insults uncalled for and unnecessary.

2. Natalie Frank profile image92
            Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are brand new here and need to sit back and actually learn a bit before attacking a long time hubber who is likely one of the most helpful on the forums.  She is usually the first to post help, advice and links to other resources that can help out of everyone.  She is one of the hubbers who knows the most in general in terms of how things work here and constantly shares her knowledge with the other writers.  She is pointing out something that might save this person time and effort rather than possibly have them right a bunch of promotional content that will never be allowed on HP since that is considered spam and isn't permitted here.  She is going based on their profile description which sure looks like someone out to sell rather than inform.  If that's not the case then the person would do well to change their profile description to something less self-promotion sounding.  Insulting long term hubbers who you know absolutely nothing about, in a community you know absolutely nothing about is not going to win you friends.  We are an extremely supportive community but we also help keep the site up to the standards that have been set by HP.  We also don't take kindly to having established members who contribute regularly to the integrity of the site and aid writers whenever they can are insulted by members who are brand spanking new.

And again a person brand new on a site does  it mean that they are brand new to earning online. If you have so much greatness to impart you might want to try actually doing that.

You've put in so much effort towards discrediting myself that you have cut your nose despite your face. My original suggestion was to rely on your expertise on this forum. To look around and ask for the experienced Hubbers to critique work. Any newcomer should look the forum over and see if what they have to offer fits into that sites parameters.

You feel attacked as your initial comments (read them) were rude, belittling and not productive. Oh so sorry to call you on what you've put in print.

I admit to being new HERE. But I maintain that looking around and asking for help when needed is a good opening for success. You've put more energy into arguing with me than you have in your comments to someone asking for help.

And frankly I don't care if you "don't take kindly" especially when your own remarks say you help anyone at any time.

However I think we are out living our usefulness in this thread. You don't like being called out on your b.s. but you don't mind dishing it out. You want to be professional and an expert, try acting like one. Your a leader on this site and we should be looking to you for advice. Instead we small talked and a fancy hand wave. Save for charity. You say you are a leader.

Act like one

And this is for the raggededge

Appears you are just looking for a fight. Your accusations are so wide of the mark that your ignorance of Hubpages is readily apparent. I'm out of this one because it's a dead end discussion. Go away and grow up.

2. theraggededge profile image96

Thank you, Natalie smile

2. Azalea24 profile image61
    Azalea24posted 5 years ago

Hello Paddygsound,

Don't feel discouraged. Being a successful writer online is not the easiest thing to do. It can be done though. With some work on your part.

1. Are you commenting on other writers articles?

This is a good way to people to start coming to your Hub. You will get initial comments and feedback. Writing communities are typically very helpful. If you comment and follow, they will do the same.

2. What is your online presence?

Are you on Facebook, Twitter, Google +? These forums will allow you to post a snapshot of your Hub to your followers/ circle. Follow the format and ask people to check it out.

3. How helpful is your material?

Don't get me wrong, you don't have to write How To's to be helpful. Focus on the topic of the article. If it's humor, show some. Informative, give the info clean and clear.

The three major search engines have to trust you. If they don't your article won't appear in search results.

4. Are you asking people to view your Hub?

There are many places where you can add your Hub and start receiving traffic. Also asking people to retweet or like your Hub can help also.

Also pm the members here. Ask them to read an article and give you feedback on how the articles are written.

There is no hard and fast way that works for everyone, but I hope this helps

Good Luck

3. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

The most efficient way of becoming successful on HubPages is to keep writing articles on topics people are searching for.

Social media can help but such traffic is fleeting.

In my experience it's better to spend your time writing rather than commenting on other hubbers' articles. I never follow people unless their work is worth following. I don't comment on their hubs just because they comment on mine.

4. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 5 years ago

1. Read the Learning Center.
    2. Learn basic on-page SEO
    3. Learn to do keyword research.
    4. Write on topics where you are knowledgeable or willing to do the necessary research.
    5. Don't give up. It takes time and hard work to do well here.

You can learn everything you need to know to do well here from online sources. However, because best practices change so rapidly in online writing, make sure you are getting your information from up-to-date sources.

Three resources I suggest:

1. Copyblogger, for learning about online writing.
    2. Whiteboard Friday on Moz, for learning about SEO
    3. Search Engine Land, for keeping up to date on search news.

5. Paddygsound profile image93
    Paddygsoundposted 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your hints and advice. It is really appreciated.

I'll review these resources when I have a moment:
    1. Copyblogger, for learning about online writing.
    2. Whiteboard Friday on Moz, for learning about SEO
    3. Search Engine Land, for keeping up to date on search news.

They sound very helpful.
    Cheers

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good luck Paddy. Once you have a basic understanding of how things work around here, I'd suggest you also take a look at a hub I recently published which focuses on On-Page SEO on Hubpages.

Thanks. Will do. My head is practically bursting with things to consider now. haha

6. Cre8tor profile image92
    Cre8torposted 5 years ago

Paddy - You have a lot of good advice here and I don't want to discredit any of it because I have learned from the learning center and having an idea about SEO has been helpful, etc...but I never really got my head completely wrapped around all of it. For me, I learned to write what I know that was useful to others. "Find a need, fill a need." (Mr. Bigweld - Robots - 2005) If you can do that, you'll have success.

Write titles as if you were the one searching and explain as if you were the one learning. (Never forget subtitles are searchable too...same as every capsule available to you.) Try to use original photos to show first hand involvement in the topic and earn trust of readers and search engines. Don't over concentrate on word count. If what you write covers the topic completely, you're done. It seems if you try and extend just to add word count, "they" know it. I have articles that are both short and long that are equally as successful as the other. Update your articles at minimum yearly if not more depending on your topic.

I could run on and on about my experience here but in short, I started knowing nothing about online writing, learned as I've gone but never let learning keep me from writing, and I never focused on social media or other Hubbers being the source of reliable traffic. I've had far more success than I ever thought I would have and have nothing but great things to say about the staff and how available they make themselves to those who effort their way along. It did take time but I started to see "success" within a year, growth every year after, and now, couldn't be happier with the return on my time investment. Best of luck!

I do find titles to be the hardest thing some times.
      I'm certainly trying to curb my sometimes verbose ways with my writing.
      SEO gives me a headache to be honest. LOL. I'll try to get my head around it but I don't want to change how I write to suit it, that is for sure.
      Thanks for dropping by!

1. Cre8tor profile image92
        Cre8torposted 5 years agoin reply to this

...might I add to watch who you take advice from. You'll see quickly that some accounts here are promotional and have little HP experience. If you see one there isn't a need to argue it or point it out...just click the little flag at the upper right of the profile and let HP sort it out. Sure, some have writing experience elsewhere but HP is a higher standard than many/most other writing platforms for internet content creators. Just a little more advice after seeing some of what's transpired on your thread here.

7. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

At first, I didn't take HP seriously but earned money simply by keeping my HP. My articles reflected my lack of interest. For the past year, I've been more diligent, and my HP articles are improving with my rewrites and adding new articles. The key to success is to write as best you can or even better. It takes practice and editing. Getting picked up by a niche site helps. There are no absolutes here and finding out what works for me and HP as a team is what I find successful. I keep applying what is successful. I concentrate on SEO and unique topics. I am fortunate to have contacts in the film industry who send me quality images, trailers, and movie clips. I am still rewriting my old Hubs with a noticeable improvement in revenues. Writing for the Internet is unlike traditional non-fiction writing. It is a technique and skill that requires constant attention.

Thank you for your thoughts for consideration. Noted for the future.
      Contacts in the film industry, that is cool! Can you tell me what is going to happen in the next Avengers movie? LOL. I am busting to find out.
      But seriously thank you for taking the time to reply.

8. Erudite Scholar profile image62
    Erudite Scholarposted 5 years ago

Hi Paddy,
    I also finished boot camp recently.I want to first of all congratulate you on completing bootcamp.I know it is not easy to achieve success on HP.I have written a hub on the  12 Mistakes I made as a newbie on HubPages.You can check it out here
    https://hubpages.com/community/12-Mista … n-Hubpages

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the link. Just reading through it now.

9. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Just wanted to say welcome and congrats on finishing boot camp!  I can't really add anything to the great advice everyone has given but be sure to keep up with the forums and be a regular presence here. You'll be able to see what's going on from staff, questions and answers from hubbers, suggestions and advice and ask for and give feedback on articles all of which will also help you learn the ropes as far as writing for HP is concerned.  Good luck!

Everyone has really offered up some amazing tips. I feel so supported. I wasn't expecting even half of the help that was given. It and all of the support is massively appreciated.

1. Sebraun profile image69
        Sebraunposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paddy,

I'm a complete beginner on HubPages as well and probably would have asked the same question as you at some point! So thanks for doing that for me, it's great to see you got so many helpful tips smile

Sarah

10. dredcuan profile image91
    dredcuanposted 5 years ago

I don't consider myself successful in HP. Yet changes start to happen and I am happy with it. It takes discipline, determination, and hard work to see some improvements to your account. Overall, make sure you love what you are doing so you can enjoy HP.

11. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

There's a thing called the most helpful hubber award on HP. And I know that theraggededge is probably gonna win it this year or at least be right up there as one of the most helpful people here.

I did find this thread funny though, Bev is truly loved by new hubbers.

12. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 5 years ago

Azalea24 - you have succeeded in a very short time in making yourself a thoroughly disliked person here. You have absolutely no idea how helpful thereggededge is to people new to HubPages. She gives very sound advice voluntarily and does not deserve to be abused by you or anyone else.

In case you haven't got the message, your combative attitude is not welcome here. If you want to turn your venom on me, that's your right. But I won't respond.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)