How Much Do You Earn?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Blue and Gray profile image72
    Blue and Grayposted 6 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I am curious as to how much you earn for the articles that you publish here in Hub Pages. I am a new "hubber" and I want to know everything that I need to know in this ecosystem. Thanks smile

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, welcome.

It's against HubPages rules to share how much we earn in the forum. However, I can tell you that a few people earn over $10k per month.

If you want to learn more about HubPages, spend some time at the Learning Center:

https://hubpageshelp.com/

You'll see a tab at the top of the page labelled, 'Making Money'.

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Actually it's not against the rules to tell how much you earn. That was clarified in another forum thread. What is against the rules is telling what your CPMs are.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

That is correct, however, it still shows as a TOS issue.  I have asked the team to get rid of that statement if they are not going to enforce it because it's unfair to writers to make them think it's against the TOS when the team is choosing to ignore it when someone shares earnings.  Also, you cannot share CPC OR CPM numbers.

2. Blue and Gray profile image72
        Blue and Grayposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the link. Great help.

3. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
        Matt Wellsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hubbers are allowed to disclose their earnings, but it is against TOS to reveal CPM and CPC.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94
          EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I made about $22 last month and this has been my best month so far. I will earn enough money to cash out for the first time this month. I know this is pretty small compared to some people but I am happy so far. My goal is to get to my first month where I earn over $50 and I can cash out every month. I have calculated that I would need to double my current amount of views for this to happen. I think I can get this done by the end of the year as long as I pick good topics.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
            lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You'll get there. Just need to repeat what you are already doing.

2. NateB11 profile image89

Yeah, Brandon's right. You're doing well considering you've been here about a year and a half and have 18 articles.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94
              EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Really only five months actually. I made my account a year ago but I didn't do anything with it and just let it stagnant. I only really started to use my account in November last year.

I had an account years ago but I wasn't very motivated to write as I didn't really know what I was doing. I found it recently and deleted it. I didn't really have anything noteworthy from that time anyways and everything was unpublished.

Well, then you're doing really well. It took me a couple years to even reach payout on this account. But after that I started writing on another account and used what I'd learned about writing online over the years and was able to make payout within months. And that account has considerably less articles on it.

2. robhampton profile image94
      robhamptonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I saw on a post not long ago from a staff member (it was in yellow) that it's ok to post our earnings. They said just don't post cpm amounts. I don't trust that and will take no chances violating the TOS. I can say that I can now easily see how people are breaking that 10k mark. I'm not there yet, but don't see any reason why I can't be eventually. I am a "seasonal" writer (swimming pools) last year during peak (May-Sept) traffic was between 3,000 - 5,000 impressions/day and equalled decent money. But that's when the CPM was much lower. My traffic has already increased and I expect during peak season this year, I will make a VERY substantial monthly payout for several months. I've added a few more articles since last year so it helps traffic. Between the increase in CPM and increase in traffic, I could easily quit my day job, unfortunately my traffic is extremely seasonal. I'm now seeing a massive global increase in traffic, meaning that my pool articles are getting popular in other countries "summer" that is starting to make up for the lack of traffic on the US winter. Not even close to what's coming, but here's a screen shot of yesterday's difference from last year
      https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13979309.png

I saw that same post which is what prompted me to email the team.  This is where I found out that the team currently is not enforcing the TOS statement about not sharing earnings or their derivatives, which also made me nervous.  If you're going to have a rule, either enforce it or dump it.

this is a great insight for a new Hubber like me. Thanks smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

This is the wrong day to ask. lol

Ha ha... I'm just waiting to take our Easter Sunday roast dinner out of the oven big_smile

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image93
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

Enough that it's the same as if I had a part time job, except I don't have to find child care - whoohooo!

Theraggededge gave you a good link, read up there smile

That is good to hear. I like to write, but at the same I am also looking for passive income. Thanks for your comment.

You'll have to write a lot before you can generate passive income. I think I had around 70 hubs during my non HP writing period.

4. blueheron profile image92
    blueheronposted 6 years ago

I make enough that I get a payout every month--and sometimes it's quite a few buck over the $50 minimum payout. It took time to get to that point, and I made few contributions for two or three years after I first launched with a large number of initial contributions.

I think there are several factors for reaching decent earnings. The first one would be to write subject matter that is of interest to a known and large audience.The second is to write it well and with knowledge and expertise. Other factors are some skill in SEO, and some ability as far as promoting your hubs.

I'm not good at promoting my hubs. I post them to Pintrest and to Facebook groups that are interested in my subject matter. There are probably many other ways I don't know about.

I would actually appreciate some enlightenment on that last issue.

Apart from Pinterest, I never promote mine. Other people do though big_smile Some get picked up and shared on Facebook and Stumbleupon. I'd rather write than faff about with social media.

1. JanisaChatte profile image90
        JanisaChatteposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How does promoting on pinterest work? I assume it has something to do with linking to your articles using images, but I still don't fully understand.

1. robhampton profile image94

I'm not sure. I still get traffic from Pinterest, but haven't been on there for years. I think it's just a matter of how well something circulates on there

If  you check Google Analytics and go to the overview of social networks you can see how many Pinterest views you get.  Some people do extremely well there.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Here is a recent forum posted from Eric that has a lot of relevant info:
          https://hubpages.com/community/forum/33 … -pinterest
          It is worth spending your time on if you are just starting out. Boa sorte.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

It's very simple, really,  all you do is click on  the P under one of your article photos and a screen opens up giving you the choice of creating a "board" or adding it to a board you already have, either of which you have to label.   If people click on your photo it takes them back to your article which creates a page view for you.

4. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You can make a pinterest board about a subject you write about here. Then post pictures from each hub and it will bring people directly to the hub, and hopefully they will read it.

But don't just go on Pinterest to do that, or they get annoyed. Make sure you post other people's work too, so they don't feel used by you. It's a good way to find people interested in your subjects. Just spread the love around, make a few boards and collect some pictures that aren't to promote your own work. I recently was surprised how much of my traffic comes from there. Good luck.

yeah, I realized that it needs quite some time before I establish myself in this ecosystem. Nevertheless, it's still a good avenue to write. Thanks a lot!

5. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 6 years ago

I make three figures. Would be nice if I could make that jump up to four. Might happen with this new Maven thing. Or I could start writing more articles.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13979317.jpg

1. robhampton profile image94

Your dog should be on a diet lol. What a cute dog!

Lol

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

For the first time since  I've been here, my March figures made the jump to four from three.  Pretty happy about this and am hoping it continues.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

You earn commissions. There is no set amount earned for publishing anything. The amount could be from zero to infinity.

Ignore persons who immediately imagine you are asking questions about CPMs, etc, which you obviously did not ask.

Thank you for the direct answer smile I didn't actually get what CPMs are or what they do, but I think it's something that I should learn over the next days.

CPM is how much you earn per thousand views.

To find it on your earnings reports page, click on the drop-down/filter and click on "ad program" and it will give you stats just for the ad program and will show your CPMs.

7. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

The next few months should be interesting. The boost has been great, just turned March from a bottom earner last year to one of my highest earning months this year.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

March was my all time best month. I am looking forward to April.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Mine too. Encouraging me to write new articles here!  An algorithm change seems to have boosted HP and damaged my little bolg.

8. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 6 years ago

Let me guess---you are not likely to get any straight answers, simply because people don't like revealing their earnings, whether from HP or otherwise.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Ben716 profile image91
      Ben716posted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are right. It's not easy.

9. Ben716 profile image91
    Ben716posted 6 years ago

Currently, I am earning better than the last six years. Getting views of over 500 people is quite encouraging unlike the past years I used to get less than one hundred views in a month. However, I am confident a person can become a full-time writer at HP, or earning on HP will act as supplement income. It's worth it considering the position HP is in Alexa rank.

10. blueheron profile image92
    blueheronposted 6 years ago

I started writing for Hubpages about the time I retired. It makes a nice supplement to a retirement income--and if I'd started sooner, it would be a lot more. I often suggest hubbing to older people (which is just about the only people I know).

Assuming Hubpages will be around over the long haul, there are many young people who could just about retire on Hubpages earnings, if they devoted time to it over the years and gradually built up a large number of hubs. While I probably won't live that long, lots of other people will.

11. huntnfish profile image88
    huntnfishposted 6 years ago

To answer the original question, MUCH more than I ever thought I would. Just find your niche, consider your audience, and provide top quality content.

The easiest way to quickly get consistent, targeted traffic is to effectively answer a question that the internet currently cannot provide an answer for. Ask yourself what you know that the internet doesn't, and share that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)