HubPages vs. Network Site

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. LindaSarhan profile image91
    LindaSarhanposted 5 years ago

What is the real difference between having your article (hub) on the main Hubpages site compared to being sorted into a network site? In other words, what are the benefits and the cons?

There have been so many changes since I took a step back to pursue a degree in English and Creative Writing. Now that I am back full-force, I am a bit overwhelmed. I know I will get the hang of it, so thought I would ask the writers of Hubpages their opinion. big_smile

Happy writing, Everyone!

L. Sarhan

1. Shesabutterfly profile image94
      Shesabutterflyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The network sites are suppose to bring in more traffic to your articles, because they are content specific and therefore less likely to be penalized by Google. HubPages was losing rank for being a content farm, so the different niche/network sites were created to get away from the content farm style and try to rank higher in the search engines again.

I have not noticed a huge difference in traffic for 99% of my articles that have been moved to various niche sites. The ones that were doing well before the transfer have seen an increase, but nothing major. I only have one that has seen an increase in traffic by over 200 views a day consistantly. Those that were performing poorly still are. I have a few that were getting zero views on HP and now see anywhere between 0-10 views a day while others that had zero traffic get spikes (up to 15) every couple of weeks otherwise sit at 0-2. The vast majority of my top 10 performing articles are still getting the same amount of traffic they were getting on HP.

I have not noticed any con's, but I also would not say I have seen much pro to them either. At least in my experience. My only personal con is that it takes forever to get articles moved to the network sites, but since I have not personally seen a major increase in traffic I'm no longer pushing to get my articles moved quickly. Some of my HP articles ranked very well before the move, lost rank but that rank has since recovered now that it has been a few months. I do not think all HP articles will lose rank, but the site has a whole was losing for quite some time.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

It really doesn't matter because you don't have a choice.  If your hub is chosen to be moved to a niche site, that's it.  However, being on a niche site is where you will earn your money.  HP has basically become a holding place for new hubs.  Niche sites are where you want to be.

I can see how you'd be overwhelmed by the changes here, but take some time and read the info in the learning section.

The basics are still the same...write good, searchable articles with minimum numbers of in text ads (or none)and add good visuals and supportables.

Welcome back!

3. RachaelLefler profile image92
      RachaelLeflerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can't speak for everyone, but most of my articles that were moved to a network site get more page views afterward. I think the network sites are more Google-friendly. And people like to come to sites that are for a specific kind of article. For example, I go to "Reel Rundown" a lot, not just to find my own articles, but because I'm curious about what's being said in the niches of film and anime. Having it all in one place is better for the reader, so it's better for us. Your article will be grouped with similar things. It's very possible that someone could go to the niche site for reason A and end up on your article just because it was there, even if it has nothing to do with A, just because it looked interesting. But yeah, the basics of writing are still the same.

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 5 years ago

The benefit is that the niche sites are more visible to search engines. Anything that stays on the HubPages domain isn't as likely to be found in searches. Therefore niche sites equal a better potential for traffic. Congrats on your continued education!! smile

3. Barbara Kay profile image72
    Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago

I have noticed a significant difference between the hubs that were moved to the niche sites and those that weren't. My traffic is booming on the ones that were moved and I get little at the ones still on Hubpages.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

If I may use a baseball analogy, think of the main HubPages site as the "farm team" and the niche sites as "the majors." If you get called up to the majors you're more visible.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1 More visibility, more traffic, more earnings. smile

5. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 5 years ago

The hubs of mine that are not on network sites get no traffic at all. Only one gets about one Google search a day or so. All of my traffic is from hubs I have on networks.

6. LindaSarhan profile image91
    LindaSarhanposted 5 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the input! Personally, I have seen a few network site articles with increased page views but I have also seen some of my Hubpages articles that have been acclimated yet increase as well. On the other hand, I also keep in mind that some of these articles are seasonal and will wax and wane in page views.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)