Why Can't We Have a Link to a Page With All Our Articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (32 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 7 months ago

I know there are several issues with this. Firstly, the network sites can't link back to Hubpages because of the reputation of the site and it being sort of a taboo domain to link to as regards Google (Is this a permanent problem, or does a site "get out of jail" eventually?) Also some readers may have no interest in a reader's other work, other than articles that are related to the category of the article they have just read. But a proportion may have, if they like the reader's writing style. Another issue is that Google may determine it spammy if a profile lists lots of links to other articles that are on network sites that are unrelated to the current one.
    So is there a way around this? Could our profiles be on a third party site that acts as an insulator between network sites and Hubpages? As a workaround, I just post the text of my profile on Hubpages.

eugbugposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Edit: I meant "writer's other work".

2. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 7 months agoin reply to this

All of your articles are listed in your HubPages profile. You can set it to include featured and nonfeatured articles.

Is there any means by which readers on the network sites could access a list of those articles, rather than just the ones on a network site?

1. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
          Matt Wellsposted 7 months agoin reply to this

All of your articles are in your HubPages profile: https://hubpages.com/@eugbug

There are no links from your Network Site profiles to your HubPages profile.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 7 months ago

There is a solution, Eugene. You can't link to your HubPages profile for the reason you mentioned. But you can link to your profile on the same network site where your article is located.

You already have profiles on each network site listing all your articles published on that niche site. And that is precisely what you want anyway since readers would most likely only be interested in your articles related to the same niche.

So you can link to your profile on the same network site where you have the article. For example, your profile listing all your articles on Owlcation is https://owlcation.com/@eugbug

Just remember not to link to HubPages from your profile since that would hurt the ranking of the network sites. I see other people doing that.

You mean link from articles? I have done that occasionally using the source box on images. There isn't much point linking from articles if that's what you mean because we already have a link at the top of the page. I have a text link to Hubpages in my profile but it's not hyperlinked because that's not possible.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Yes that’s what I meant—linking from articles. I thought that was what you were asking about. But you’re right, authors' names on top already link to their profile on the niche site. But I wonder how many readers know that’s a link they can click.

That's true Glenn, but we could also link later in an article and clarify that the link is to our profile (Sorry, I guess that's what you meant). Maybe HP could underline the profile link or use some other means of indicating that it leads to a profile. Sometimes text changes colour on websites when there's a mouse hover-over event, but that doesn't even happen. Maybe it's one other thing that can't be done due to limited control over the code for the website, or perhaps it's by design, who knows. It's standard practice on websites from my experience to make hyperlinks look different.  I'll have a look to see how it's done on other sites.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
            Venkatachari Mposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I think Mr. Glenn is right when he says that you can provide a link in your articles at the bottom to your profile of that network site.
            For example "readers interested in viewing my other related articles can view them at this link https://owlcation.com/@eugbug
            So, it helps them or brings them to your articles on that site.

But, you can't bring them to your other network sites or to your HubPages profile as it angers the Google people or even HP staff.

2. eugbug profile image96

That's true, but it's not true to say that people would have no interest in articles on other topics if for instance they're casually browsing rather than looking for specific information. So I'm trying to figure out a mechanism by which they could do that. Also if there was a way of grouping articles by subject on our Hubpages profile, rather than just having a long list, readers could pick and choose articles easier.

Yes, I agree with your idea. Just like we have a a gadget on Blogger sites where we can showcase some of our most read articles (at least 10) or the pages aspect where we put the links to all our articles regarding a certain subject in one page and so on. The readers can click on the buttons at top to enter in to a page of article links and read those articles of their interest.

I wonder what the downside would be of having a separate website to host profiles?

I actually did that—grouping my articles by subject. I made my own “author website” for that purpose so anyone who is interested in examining what else I write about can select a category and see a summary of those specific articles. I include that in the “home” link on my HubPages profile.

Anyone can do the same thing. Get a domain with your name and choose a decent web host. I program my own HTML but people can use Wordpress to make a website if they don’t know how to program.

It does mean extra navigating though. Is there any downside to having our names on the network sites linking to a "third party" website that hosts our profiles?

Yes there is a downside. It’s the same reason why they don’t want linking to HubPages from network sites. If our author sites don’t have decent ranking, then a link to them would negatively affect the network site.

I know my author site does not have good ranking. And that is probably due to the fact that it’s mostly full of short summaries and lots of outbound links to my articles. For that reason, I don’t link to my author side from anywhere except the home link on HubPages. But people see it when they search my name in Google. That’s the only purpose for having it.

Yes indeed. It is a common thing to make links change color on websites when the mouse hovers over them. I’m wondering why TAG chose to not do that. And by the way, HubPages is no longer in control as far as I can see. TAG makes all the decisions. But I could be wrong. It just looks that way.

Anyway, I agree with you to make the profile link at the top stand out as an obvious link. Interested readers would then know they can get more information on an author if they so choose.

That would work on desktop for mouse over events. I'm not sure how it would work on mobile devices. I guess they would have to use some text to indicate our names are tappable links. Underlining can look a bit ugly unless it's text in a paragraph. They could go back to using thumbnails of us and make them tappable, but again, maybe this isn't possible because of the code. A workaround could be to make the thumbnail part of a paragraph wide image, with the thumbnail on a white background so it just looks like a small image on the white background of an article page.

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 7 months ago

I don't know exactly. May be they need to purchase space. And design the format and thereafter the maintenance cost involving in it, etc.

I wonder are they paying to host those network sites and if how much?

TAG own Say Media I think, the company that does the webhosting.

You mean it is this company?
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAY_Media

And, this page on Arena has links to all our network sites.
          https://thearenagroup.net/our-brands/

Yes it’s the same SayMedia. Here is an article about the merger of Maven with HubPages when they included SayMedia for their ads placement.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ … ndependent

However, Matt recently said that TAG no longer uses the same ad personnel that I met at the Maven conference in 2018. So maybe he can chime in again and clarify if that means they no longer use SayMedia.

Yes it’s the same SayMedia. Here is an article about the merger of Maven with HubPages when they included SayMedia for their ads placement.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ … ndependent

However, Matt recently said that TAG no longer uses the same ad team that I met at the Maven conference in 2018. So maybe he can chime in again and clarify if that means they no longer use SayMedia.

3. eugbug profile image96

Yes, but there's no mention of TAG in the Wikipedia article.

Neither that Businesswire newsletter mention any thing about TAG.
            So, where does the name of TAG arise from?

"TAG" is the The Arena Group.

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

That wikipedia article is outdated. It needs to be updated regarding the merger of SayMedia with Maven.

Maybe they sold it again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)