Apparently we haven't been behaving ourselves.

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (79 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Why do I say that? Because I'm guessing something happened that motivated HP to include this in the HubPages Weekly:

*Start*

What Are the HubPages Forums for? Are There Any Rules?

The Forums allow the community to complement each individual Hubber’s talents and interests. We hope they provide a living and growing repository for shared wisdom, mutual support and inspiration. The guidelines outlined below exist to promote this sharing community and give everyone the space to voice their opinions and ask questions.

Stick to the Topic: Please stay on the thread’s topic when replying to an existing thread. If you don’t see an open thread about something you’d like to discuss, please open a new thread.

Respect: Please maintain respect for other Hubbers, even if you don’t necessarily agree with them. Keep your language clean and don’t make personal attacks. By choosing to be civil, you make the discussion better for everyone involved.
    (italicizing was done by me, not HP)

Be Helpful and Supportive: We’re all here to learn, so please be constructive when providing feedback. Harassing, threatening, or intimidating other Hubbers is against our Terms of Use.

Spread the Word: Encourage Hubbers seeking help to visit the Forum to discuss.

*End

Meanwhile... Dear HP, I promise to be good. -paradigmsearch

Who else promises to be good?

And a side note. When I start seeing eyeballs rolling across the floor in a particular thread, I simply depart.

And another side note, regarding HP's second paragraph: for my threads, I don't care where they wander; that's half the fun. big_smile

1. poppyr profile image91
      poppyrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Some people have been naughty! The threads are fun. My experience with the forums has been mostly positive. The worst thing you can really do is rise to someone being rude.

paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run." big_smile

2. Bethieannie profile image91
      Bethieannieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's not a bad idea to remind ourselves that if we want to be treated like experts, then we need to act like experts. People with authority often follow a code of conduct. Being civil to one another shows self-discipline and strength of character. I know it is hard to overcome personal bias, but it's quite healthy I assure you. I don't need to know the gosip, or why they decided to remind us. Instead, I will focus on being the expert I want others to see.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What is your expertise Beth?

1. Bethieannie profile image91

This is my 3rd account. My first does well in the home and garden niche. I am a CDC volunteer, and and ex radiographer (I took x-rays). I have been on Hubpages for more than 6 years to. For the CDC I have assisted in different types of pest control research, and served on the committee for nuclear terrorism and disaster. My second account is in the gaming niche, which is nice if you like having lots of fans, but doesn't produce as well. This account was an experiment, but I ended up writing an article that does really well. Now I am trying to break into the family/kids niche.

I used to post to the forums on my main account. However, for some odd reason someone has a personal bias against me on that account. When I post from it, this person always makes sure to say something nasty to me. When I am on this account, the person is very polite to me.

There was likely one or two bad apples that triggered the reminder, but it doesn't hurt for the rest of us to double check ourselves and make sure we are not being rude to each other.

We need to follow EAT in all arenas, including the forum.

3. ziyena profile image91
      ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

As per the second to last paragraph ... lmao

4. samanthacubbison profile image83
      samanthacubbisonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The HubPages weekly is meant to inform and educate both new and veteran Hubbers alike. So, for the "Pro Tips" section, we choose the most common topics and concerns from the FAQ. This week, it just so happened to be about forums. I promise that nobody did anything so horrible, and it was not warranted by the Illuminati, a banana tree or aliens. ;-)

1. ziyena profile image91

Don't forget ... the Peanut Gallery  wink

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Could it be because of tinfoil hats then?

1. samanthacubbison profile image83
          samanthacubbisonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the tinfoil hats are the only things protecting us at this point.

Between my hat and my Faraday cage, all is well.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
            lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I knew it! We have official confirmation.

Speaking of official confirmation, I noticed Sunday earnings have been reported. The HP Ad Program continues to blow AdSense out of the water. If only Maven/HubPages would develop an HP Ad Program widget we could put on our websites. A win-win. Wait a minute. I think they already do that. Darn that 25K requirement. Maybe someday...

3. Natalie Frank profile image91
            Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

https://hubstatic.com/14322126.jpg

Quiet, kids! CNN is talking about Russia.

3. Bethieannie profile image91

Darn, I was really hoping it was aliens this time, as I'm quite bored with the illuminati (although I don't think that's what they call themselves).

DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

The best recipe for chocolate chip cookies can be found at our alternative web site. Thanks for watching and drive safely.

I think it was the tinfoil hats, microwaves, and aliens in the Hubbies Award thread that triggered the second paragraph. lol

1. DrMark1961 profile image96

Those tinfoil hats work you know! I read about it on the internet.

If you saw it on the internet, then it must be true.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

But it was all related big_smile

I'm pretty sure I know what triggered the third paragraph. Apparently there was some sort of detonation in the Topics Forums last week. At least one Hubber got forum banned and another Hubber's profile just flat out disappeared.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

I think I know which hubbers profile flat out disappeared. If it's the same person, he deserved to get kicked out. He had my vote for most likely to get banned.

1. poppyr profile image91
              poppyrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, do tell!

lol. I won't take names but the profile pic had horses on them.

2. Jean Bakula profile image91
              Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If HP wants peace, they should get rid of the political forums. There are several right wing people here who can't be reasonable. I can defend myself and ideas, but have been more than insulted, basically attacked, quite a few times for liberal views. I get told I have to practically footnote what is essentially an opinion, while certain men seem to think we are living in the 1950s and women can't have views of their own. I've been treated in a very dismissive way, as have others, and there were several forums going about it a few months ago. You know who should have been kicked off a long time ago, and so should a few others. And it should be for a long time, not the three days it used to be (not sure what they do now). I've reported obnoxious comments and the administration does nothing.

But I don't insult or resort to name calling when I disagree, as some conservatives do and get away with it. The administration knows it's the same handful of people, so it's not fair to blame the whole HP community, a nice one for the most part. I always believed they had favorites.

I know. Quite a few others.

2. Will Apse profile image89

I don't think AHB was much worse than my mother, lol, who happens to be English and in her eighties. You simply need to let the old folks have their say, however annoying they might be.

3. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 5 years ago

Who's forums are they?

I don't know which thread was the detonation thread. I just happened to come across a conversation about it.

My neighbor the banana tree told me that the forums belonged to the illuminati.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I can say that banana trees make fine upstanding neighbours but are not necessarily all that clever.

2. ziyena profile image91

lol

3. Natalie Frank profile image91

I heard the Russians influenced the Hubbie votes!

3. paradigmsearch profile image59

If you mean who owns the pages, DrMark is right.

Ownership is a terrible word to use in connection with a shared space.

4. Will Apse profile image89

Anyway, that's my contribution for a while. Got to go eat.

Bottom line: hijacking important HP business threads can be annoying but not sure "The Hubbies" qualifies as serious.

I've noticed a lot of threads wander off topic, but it's almost always after the original topic discussion has been exhausted. From what I've seen, nobody seems to have minded.

5. Erudite Scholar profile image60
    Erudite Scholarposted 5 years ago

I solemnly swear to be on the square.

6. Will Apse profile image89

I always saw him as the moderate, acceptable face of the American right. Whatever you neighsayers might say.

7. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 5 years ago

The forums are tame compared to the past. It was like jumping into a lion's den! Staff kept well out of them haha

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1 Simone would jump in sometimes to quell the atmosphere. I remember dropping a line and exiting fast. Those were the days, though. big_smile

Oh yeah, I recall Simone jumping in. Yup, the golden days big_smile

Simone had the hat. No one argued with the hat...

2. Will Apse profile image89

Apparently, we need to think of the historical record these days. The cosmic auditors should always be in our minds.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Those who don't learn from history..."

You mean like watching the history channel? (They may not teach you how to behave on the forums, but they do have great programs on how the ancients built tinfoil hats to ward off the aliens that were here to build the pyramids.)

If you're talking about the series: To them, we pray, but keep them at bay. You need to watch season 2. They prove that it was not tin foil hats, but hats made of burnt plastic residue on banana leaves.

Those ancient aliens really knew their stuff. I bet they could have built an amazing forum instead of wasting their time on the Egyptian pyramids.

They helped build the Roman forum, I've been there and it's amazing. Not been to any of the many pyramids yet. I want to check out the ones China has covered.

1. Natalie Frank profile image91

Yes but that Roman forum was brutal!  I can tell you, no one spoke of appropriate behavior there.  And if anyone even thought of doing so, they fed them to the lions!

8. ziyena profile image91
    ziyenaposted 5 years ago

Won't roll my eyes today but ... stage left

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Many of us who remember when the Hub and Topics forums were comingled are not so relaxed about light moderation,  I would not still be here if that had continued.

Hub rules are basically not to verbal attack people in personal, prejudiced or obscene ways.  Not to harass people to sell things.  And to stick to the subject for the area.  Pretty much like in any well managed public park.

10. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I remember playing in the mud as a kid. I came home and got in trouble for tracking dirt in the house. It didn't stop me from playing in the mud the next day.

11. paperfacets profile image87
    paperfacetsposted 5 years ago

I disagreed once with an opinion and someone thought I was attacking, but I actually felt they attacked. They would not let up. I have not been here since. I think it was a young man by his posted articles. Just guessing on that. The Hub email prompt me to look again at the forum. Maybe I will wet my feet again and join the conversation.

That's a common occurrence on forums because words don't always show intent. It's very easy to misinterpret. Glad to have you back.

12. Kenna McHugh profile image91

All in all, a very few like to squabble, historically speaking. For the most part, we all get along.

13. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Short rant. Both my phone and internet DSL service keep going down in flames when it rains. First year in several where this has happened. Phone company has already confirmed residence wiring/etc is fine and the problem is in their outside 40-year-old copper wiring or network. They informed me they can't diagnose and fix it because of the problem being intermittent. I've got to get them coordinated enough to time a service call on an unknown future day where it has rained the previous day and the wiring/connection/substation is still sopping wet and the service is still crashed. Fat chance of me accomplishing that. And if I did accomplish that and it turns out that it's the 40-year-old buried copper wiring somewhere, they're not going to dig it all up and replace it just for me; they'll simply blow me off and wish me luck. Other phone/internet service options appear unavailable. Give Me Internet or Give Me Death! Rant concluded.

Have you looked into satellite providers? In a lucrative market like California they surely must exist. Mine costs a little more than the super slow service I used to have but it is well worth it as it functions almost all of the time.
      try www (dot) hughesnet (dot) com

Everyone knows those satellite providers are just covers for aliens!  There have been a bunch of suspicious disappearances of people right after they signed up with those companies.

That explains the crop circles out in my soybean field. I think I need help. I wonder if those experts from History Channel do consults?

Don't think so, but have heard those ghost busters haven't been managing to pay their bills and are considering branching out into alien related consultations.  You might want to give them a call.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

Update.

A sincere compliment and congrats to Netflix; they've been able to ram thru the static over 50% of the time. All other websites are less than 10%.

As for the phone/ISP company, am reaching the point of doing a scathing review. And not to brag, but with what I've learned concerning SEO; I guarantee that critter will get traffic.

Ooh. We had this problem once and they dug it up just for us. You got a bad provider. It's sad that you got no other options out there.

It's not over yet. The rains stopped, so my phone should be usable when things have dried out enough. When it is, I'll propose the open-date trouble ticket idea. Maybe they'll go for it and maybe the problem will be something they'll be willing to fix. I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt, which is why I haven't mentioned their name. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, any new detonations in the Topics Forum yet? big_smile

14. BigBrains profile image95
    BigBrainsposted 5 years ago

I generally stay away from the forums. I can struggle to be "constructive with my feedback". Though, as others have said, the forums used to be a bear pit in the old days. Most of the worst antagonists from yesteryear are now banned. I can't say I miss any of them. smile

15. Kenna McHugh profile image91

History Channel avoids consults but I can get you a screener link to their next series.

Another series? I think I am feeling kind of nauseous.

16. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

Did said Hubber's name rhyme with "Fred Swisher" by any chance?

This is who I am thinking about.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Awww, gee, that's a shame. I'll miss his constant stream of random, almost-English political gibberish, and his crimes against punctuation.

Hahaha. I always found it difficult figuring out where he was quoting someone and where he tried to frame sentences of his own.

2. Dean Traylor profile image94
      Dean Traylorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

that appears to be what all the chatter is about. Horsey boy is gone but, unfortunately not forgotten.

Wow, I've really been missing out by not checking out the topical forums!

17. Laurinzo Scott profile image64
    Laurinzo Scottposted 5 years ago

Excellent advice....  more should follow it.... but once when I was attacked by some obviously racist comments...the response in my favor was overwhelming... Good sometimes stands up to Evil and Unjust ways of a few

18. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 5 years ago

Hmm... I think I will write a hub about glass houses. Or, maybe one about Judgement Day.

Wait, maybe one about aristocratic noses too - I could combine them into a trilogy and call it The Chronicles of the Purebloods.

GA

19. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/14320364.jpg

That's about the size of it, lol.

20. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 5 years ago

Something should be done. It ain't right that HP forces some folks to enter those Topical Forums.

Talking about big butts makes me uncomfortable, yet everytime I try to scroll past those topic threads - HP auto-clicks me right through the door.

And what's worse is that HP uses some kind of stealth code that disables my "back arrow" so that I can't leave until my feelings are hurt.

It's like torture you know!

Thank goodness for the Hubpages Community Forums. At least I know I have a safe space to protect me from mean people.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)