Is it just me, or has there been less activity on Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (48 posts)
  1. profile image0
    marcuscaineposted 5 years ago

I have noticed that the number of forums and interaction between hubbers has been declining over the past year. What do you think is causing it?

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Plenty of action on the Topical boards: https://hubpages.com/forum/topical

Go there at your peril big_smile

Over here, well we're all busy writing our socks off.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94
        EricFarmer8xposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I respond to certain topics. Other than that I am focusing on writing more.

As for the topical forums there are plenty of places to argue about things online like Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, etc. I don't see a reason to do that here if I wanted to.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We have a member who called someone a liar and someone else stupid just within the last 24 hours on the forums.

He has spent years stalking, harrassing and bullying other members without consequences. It discourages other people from posting, which encourages him to keep doing it.

HP has an extremely loose policy about forum behavior. You have to do what they very narrowly define as a personal attack before you get into trouble for it. Reporting the behavior rarely helps.

As raggededge says about the topical forums, "Go there at your peril".

That says it all.

2. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I've also felt that interactions between hubbers on the forums has seemed to decrease in the past year or so (at least the general forums as I stay away from the topical ones).  Not sure if people are just trying to focus more on their writing or if the writers that went over to Maven might have something to do with it (it seems like at least a few were some of our more vocal members if I remember correctly).

3. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I don't think it is as safe to comment or start a thread as it used to be. I've had Hubbers email me and ask direct questions or comments or concerns because they don't want to get attacked on the forums.

1. Natalie Frank profile image92
      Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've had that as well.

2. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've had that happen too. But yeah, a lot less posts these days.

4. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago

I lurk.  Secretly.  Just don't tell anyone.

1. ziyena profile image90
      ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol!

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

To lurk? Or not to lurk? That is the question. big_smile

6. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I think a lot of people lurk. They want to see what's going on, but they don't feel like they have anything to add to the conversation, they are unsure of their answer and don't want to embarrass themselves, or they think their question is dumb and don't want to be ridiculed.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
      Urbane Chaosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Somewhat.  For myself, I usually skim posts, but most of the time I simply don't have time to read in-depth.  When I do have time, I'm usually checking out my feed and reading through other hubs.  I used to be a lot more active in the forums several years back but once I got more involved in my community revitalization efforts, the amount of extra time I had dwindled. 

Several years back, the forums were hopping.  It has dwindled a bit since then, but I haven't noticed any major change over the last year.  This time of year it seems things always slow down though.

2. ziyena profile image90
      ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here Here

7. Kenna McHugh profile image91

It's because a few Hubbers have complained about posts despite HP's policies. That has caused others to feel uncomfortable about posting. Hopefully, one of the staff will chime in and tells us if the numbers are low and how low.

8. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

Newbies are pretty much safe over here unless they are plagiarists big_smile And then we are lenient if they simply didn't understand it is wrong.

But that other place... mad

9. Kenna McHugh profile image91

You can ignore the stalking, harassing, and/or bullying. He will eventually go away because he feeds off the feedback. I understand some are compelled to try and put him in his place. It never works in social media.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Some of us have tried to ignore the behavior multiple times without success.

Bullies usually back off when people stand up to them.

Some of these people also post seriously false statements about important subjects and link to sites that are filled with propaganda.

So it begs the question of whether or not we also want HP to be known as a fake news site. We can't post the truth if we don't challenge the falsehoods.

10. Kenna McHugh profile image91

The idea is that people are bullying. We need to ignore. We need to keep ourselves educated and not ignorant of the other stuff.

11. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 5 years ago

I'm not well enough to make much of a contribution at present. I have good days and bad days.

Also, it makes me so angry that HP (or Maven) screwed up the niches after we all put in so much work. Best not to get too involved.

I reckon some of the others are just scared of our new overlords, though I would never say that, of course.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I hope your health improves, Will. I don't know what the medical facilities are like where you are.

I can see why you are annoyed. Your hubs are well written and accurate but you are getting punished for things outside of your control.

I'm not sure if the Amazon and Owlcation/info/fact style hubs are ever going to fully recover. They certainly don't make much money any more.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The RemedyGrove hubs are still in the toilet as well. I have written to staff to suggest moves of hubs to other niche sites, but these missives were lost to the wind.  I have not had responses to any emails sent in months.  This too is different and discouraging.

2. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

In fact, I am going to take this moment to go off topic here. The mindless removal of Amazon capsules is killing income, and there seems to be no adult in the room to appeal to.  As far as google goes, I often find that the number one article on my search brings up a collection of Amazon links to products. That being the case, I am not sure how this strict philosophy of removing Amazon capsules from any new hub is sensical. Lighten up.

1. Natalie Frank profile image92
          Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And for irony, I even have had large amazon ads placed on my articles at times yikes

I feel like HubPages for whatever reason doesn't want to truly embrace affiliate marketing. There is some stigma to it and I think they are worried things will become low quality.

The fact is though outside of HubPages some of the best paid bloggers make the most income outside of ad revenue and with other deals. In fact what they do HubPages would consider spammy or too promotional but it makes big bucks.

3. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thailand has one of the best health services in the world, surprisingly enough. As long you don't value your privacy. Or mind parties in the ICU, lol.

As to writing, I am trying to master populism. Do you think any of these would fly:

20 Countries that still Worship the Devil

100 places to hide a Watermelon

The Health Benefits of Methane

Ten Ways to Tell if your Neighbor is a Foreigner

12. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

I still stop in every day to check my stats/skim the forums/etc. but I simply haven't had time to publish any new pieces since before the holidays. I have at least eight or ten unfinished articles (in various stages of completion) waiting for their turn, but I haven't sat down down long enough to finish any of 'em up and push'em out.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Finally posted my first new article of 2019. Hoping this will inspire me to start digging into the others that are waiting behind it.

13. Kenna McHugh profile image91

PUSH!!!!!!! Does that help?

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And pant....

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Yikes! Doggone it, you made me spill my beer!

14. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

I agree forum activity has declined, more like over the last 2 years. Not as fun or as safe as it used to be to ask questions or pose issues. There were more forum posts about writing, general queries about creating articles. There were also more "frequent flyer" hubber characters who were likable and interesting, threads would go on and on but not so much off-topic. You would have good discussions, bouncing back and forth from one forum to another. Some got popping with conflict but it was different than now. I check the forum list daily looking for something interesting but I don't find as much happening to talk about!

I don't enter any of the political or religious forums (not intentionally) so I don't know what that's like, don't want to know, really. I do miss the old days of the forums and some of the hubbers who have left. Something is missing now, probably never to return. hmm I guess it's called change, transition, evolution. I do think the big change came when the forums were separated and the bulk of the main page posts became "I need feedback . . ."

15. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Jan, I like your way of describing the change. The atmosphere is more about politics, feedback for QA, and comments not based on prior comments.

16. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I suspect the forum decline reflects a downturn in the number of active hubbers as standards increase.  I mean, in terms of forum civility I think it's about as good as it's ever been--so long as you stay out of Topical-land.

17. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago

I tend to agree with psyches. It's got tougher and tougher getting published here over the years, and many of the active hubbers left tend to focus on writing and editing rather than forums.

Apart from looking out for HP announcements and changes, I just do forums for fun and to kill a little time to be honest.

The forums always get more active when there's a Google algo hit, of course, then it gradually dies down again.

18. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Psyche and Paul, That makes sense. I do stay away from Tropics, though it does encroach every now and then.

19. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 5 years ago

Over the last few years, a number of the more forum active members have left, for whatever reason. Marissa, Beth, Mark Ewbie, Relache, Making a Mark, Writer Fox, Crazyhorses Ghost, and a plethora of the Squidoo writers who were very vocal about feeling second class lol. Many of their lively, acerbic or just plain bitchy contributions are missed. The suspension of some members, including PS, may have put a damper on forum participation as well. MaM had a habit of spanking participants for going off topic, and in the moment, I felt she was killing the forum's heart and soul with a school marms yardstick.

I check in to see if there is any news on SEO/tech that might be affecting HP, Google or the internet in general.  Mostly, I find "help me make my article good in English" threads. I don't have anything to contribute to SEO discussions, but I appreciate learning from them and the tools that are being employed. So keep those coming.

I think most Americans are exhausted by the daily news cycle and the barrage of crap flowing from the WH.  I know I am.

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1

20. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

The problem is more new sites and pages keep springing up every day, an immutable trend if I ever saw one.

The odds of ending up on Google's front page are approaching the odds of winning the lottery. At least the getting on Google's front page is partially a game of skill; the lottery of course is not.

21. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Dang. Just when I thought I had this Internet thing taped and mapped out.

22. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

I use Facebook to socialize. I honestly dislike a lot of the people in the political forums here, and so, I only use this website for work.

23. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Wesman, There are times you do post and I appreciate them. big_smile

24. Kenna McHugh profile image91

I knew that BIG PUSH would get you going! big_smile

It must have, cuz I posted my second article of 2019 today!

I wish I liked a genre as much you as. The closest thing to a genre I like is video game soundtracks. I know. Very nerdy and odd but I love them.

I'm an almost-49-year-old KISS fan. You wanna talk "nerdy and odd," that's pretty much the textbook definition. big_smile

25. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Nice going FatFreddysCat!

Thanx! Third & final piece of this long weekend finished up & pushed out this evening.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)