New Hubpages Elite Catagory?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (98 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I was just wondering if there were any plans on expanding the Hubpages Elite sections.

Most notably I feel it is wrong that a lot of hubbers have been given Hubpages Elite status for saying hello to new people, but the hubbers who help out a lot in the knowledge exchange and need help catagories do not get anything.

Basically I just want to get one of those little e's on my picture tongue

1. SunSeven profile image62
      SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I second this. We hardly see some of those elite on the forums.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have never even  noticed one.

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am surprised that you would want that - not that I don't think you deserve it, of course you do. But do you think it is an advantage to carry the "Elite" symbol when helping newbies?

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can ask to be made a Hubpages elite.

http://hubpages.com/elite/

4. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being elite does not make anyone of us better then another, I applied to become a greeter because I love welcoming newbies and love writing on HubPages. Just click on the help box and see how to apply if you are looking to get involved, it is a lot of fun. smile

As for the forum I am personally here on occassion but have focused on freelance writing, greeting, reading and commenting more on HP. I am just now playing catch up with writing on HubPages as my cup runneth over. smile

I figured there are hundreds of others who can fill my shoes, on the forums. smile

As for my ego, I am still me but there are those who won't even respond to me because of the "e", **sigh** I sure miss people talking to me , it makes me feel all alone. sad

But I wouldn't give up my "E" because I enjoy doing what I have been doing. smile

1. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love you AE whether you have double E's or not. Always have and always will. You have been tremendous in making people feel at home here and valued.

1. AEvans profile image70

lololo. double "E's" thanks for your kind words. You to are an asset to the community and a joy to be around, I am glad that I can call you a friend. smile

2. profile image0

Lots of hubbers are already pretty humble and almost apologetic when asking for help. I think adding an "Elite" symbol could scare some of them off the help forum.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure any "e's" would scare anyone off in the forums.  People post their thread if they have a question, and that's before anyone see's any "e's".  If an "e" responds on the thread, I'd imagine whoever asked the question would just assume the "e" was interested in answering and trying to help.

(Besides, anyone can find out what the "e" means by either clicking or asking.  What they find out is that these are Hubbers who are particularly interested in helping new people.)  I don't know....    New Hubber or not, I think most people realize writing on a website doesn't involve dealing with people of the "potentially intimidating level" of, say, heads of state, the Pope, or Royalty.  lol lol  )

3. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would respond to the e anytime tongue

I have to admit I have never linked being an elite member to being elitist, which are two very different things.

I also don't think there are many people who use the 'e' ad an ego boost, most elite member are some of the friendliest and most helpful people on the forum.

4. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi!  How are ya?  big_smile

1. AEvans profile image70

Surviving and I am glad to see you here too! smile

1. Rafini profile image82

smile  Nice to see you again. big_smile

5. katiem2 profile image59
        katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your a super hubber and I myself would find it fun and interesting greeting new people. 

The E won't keep me from responding....

Peace smile

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i see some hubbers who have the little e and they don't even come to the forums, which makes no sense at all.

i mean, if you have that title, there should be some responsibilities that come with it, i would think. and i'm not talking about amazing hubbers like Darkside who write useful hubs and help people all the time. i'm talking about hubbers who don't appear to do anything to justify the little e beside their name.

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The "e" category/volunteer aspect has varied purposes most of which have nothing to do with the forums.

each of the categories have descriptions which would make this clear - ie. greeter, 30dc - etc.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cosette, being an "elite" member isn't about helping Hubbers out in the forums.  If you look at the elite page, you'll see they're all involved in specific volunteer activities, not all of which are particularly visible. 

I'm sure that's why the "elite" badge was invented - as a way to highlight the contribution of these Hubbers, which we'd otherwise be unaware of.  I just think the word "elite" was ill-advised.  V for Volunteer or H for Hub Helper would've been better.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Who says "HubPages Elite" isn't growing in numbers?

Your question sounds like you want appreciation(elite status) for what you do. And, that is ego, selfishness and based on a desire to be noticed more.

I understand your question from many views, however, HubPages has been great with their entire platform. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm sure HubPages is already ahead of you. wink

1. SunSeven profile image62
      SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Thats harsh. It was only a light-hearted jab I feel. No need to get worked up smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Truth usually hurts SunSeven.

Opinions are always offered, and when truth be told, it is usually harsh. It is only harsh if those who find it offensive. Again, Ego.

See the point.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ad hominem attacks hurt becase they are cheap shots and often not the "truth".

2. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The idea that useful hubbers get some recognition is clearly a good idea - not only as a mark of recognition for the hubber but also as a sign of some kind of quality in the advice they give - rather than to those who just make thousands of pointless, self promoting posts in the guise of helping people.

Hubpages seem to have the current system about right I would say, the addition of some sign that indicates quality helpers is a good idea.

2. thisisoli profile image70

Damn right, my ego needs a regular massage tongue

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Oli,

FWIW - You absolutely DO help out the newcomers around here, and you absolutely ARE one of the real heroes of HubPages.

Your experience, your insights, your encouragement - all of it means a great deal to me, and I'm sure to many other Hubbers who just never have thought to take the time to say Thank You.  I really do thank you very much.  I hope you get an E; but even if you don't, I hope you will know that you deserve one and you have earned way more than that in my estimation.

Whoaaaa, wowwww, isn't that a halo glowing around your avatar?

3. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well you must be the only person who believes that thisisoli has an ego problem, personally I always find him to be the perfect gent.

1. profile image0

I too have always found Thisisoli to be pretty low key.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

You can have my elite status if you want it. It's just another leak on the page. It gives no other benefit, that I've seen. And I hate the Phrase Hubpages Elite almost as much as I hate HubKarma and Accolades.

I truly feel like I'm in Kindergarten some days, getting stickers from the teachers.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad it's not just me lol.  I suppose the follower feature, accolades, karma etc. are all designed to increase member retention, because the majority of people seem to be wired to need a metaphorical "sticker from the teacher" to keep their interest up in whatever activity they're engaged in.  IMO it's a bit of a slap in the face to those of us whose motivation comes from a different source.

And "Hubpages Elite" has just the faintest, almost indetectable whiff of something fascisistic.

2. Jule Romans profile image95
      Jule Romansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I'm a high school teacher and I give stickers! In class, we all laugh at it, including me, but you should see those kids when they get a gold star.  They even save them. Hee hee! It's fun! HAHA smile

I am all for stickers. Virtual or tangible.  There have been times when I was about to give up here, and one or another positive reinforcement kept me participating. 

Regarding some of the other comments, not the one about stickers:  I think people should know that I  feel kind of intimidated when there are negative comments and veiled insults in the forums. Even when they are directed at someone else, it makes me afraid to share. I wonder what people will say to me if I express myself. I am guessing that other new people feel the same way. I share this only because I think maybe some people don't realize that this might be one of the effects of some conversational styles. It's not just in this thread, so I am not trying to single anyone out.

It's the money that keeps me motivated :p

2. Rafini profile image82

I'd look at the negative forum posts as knowing who to avoid as well as understanding everyone is entitled to a bad day or week once in a while. tongue

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I don't need an "e."  The free t-shirt and mug were great.

I never knew you got a free t-shirt and mug though, I want that Coffee holding device!

2. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I actually turned those down. I'm must be the most anti-social hubber, still hanging out on the forums.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I always have room for black t-shirts.  The mug let me make some cool pics for my iPad Hubs and it fits in with my current agenda of getting rid of plastic cups, water bottles and travel mugs.

Nellie, there are tens of thousands of site users who never come by the forums.  Nothing wrong with that...

2. wavegirl22 profile image48
        wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nellie  . . .. be it kindergarten or not quite frankly sometimes these threads do need a kindergarten teacher in them. And if ever I could choose a teacher it would be you or Relache. Both of you are always so grounded and smart and ALWAYS above and beyond helpful.

And I am sure that is THE reason you both are "ELITE"

Some . . . well maybe they want the "E" and the only reason is their EGOS. .

5. Pearldiver profile image69
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Besides isn't the best form of Elitism the one that carries all the hopes of the Lazy Masses? hmm  lol

6. thisisoli profile image70

Haha to be honest I have got some better responses than I could have ever hoped for on here, I have to admit this was kind of an experiment. (Although I do stand by a lot of my original point).

Glad to hear I have a positive affect thoug Aficionada, thanks big_smile!

7. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

If anyone should get an "E" Oli, it should be you. Just make sure you drink lots of water tongue

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol and avoid alcohol! smile

8. thisisoli profile image70

So what if i were to pose the statement,

Hubpages elite status is granted to those who are active in the introductions thread to new members.  This means that new members automatically see thhese people as 'figures of authority'.

However most of these people have been granted the elite status simply because they are active in the introductions forum, not because of a siginificant level of knowledge in the area of online marketing, SEO, or the english language.

Therefore it seems rather strange that the new members are given the wrong role models by hubpages.

That is not to say all members in the HubsGreet team are deficient in relevant knowledge, I find users such as Darkside have  a firm grasp of the above techniques.

Should elite status not be granted to those who have a significant amount of expertise and knowledge in an area. That way when new people do come to the site, they are able define the correct sources of trust.

In the same vein there are plenty of other hubbers out there who I see as having a great amount of valuable knowledge and techniques that have worked for them, ie. Misha. We also have members who are well versed in the english language.

Creating a group for both internet marketing and creative writing would allow new visitors to not only have a significantly more reliable source of information (See the misinformation threads which sparked much debate) but also have role models for the creative writing aspect of the site. it also seems sendisble to classify the current hubbers who are in the HubGreets team in to more specific roles, since many of them fit in to one of the above two areas of expertise.

1. Shil1978 profile image87
      Shil1978posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agree with Nelle - I haven't noticed any benefit having the 'elite' tag attached to my profile, not that I was expecting any benefit. I knew pretty much what I was getting into!!

If anything, it has been good for HubPages. The milestone feature says that 500 hubs were published as a consequence of my questions - which btw is an essential part of welcoming a new hubber. You have to ask them a question, which of course is open for all to view and answer or make a hub of.

So, I guess it is a pretty selfless job, albeit time consuming. In fact, I've noticed that I haven't written much since I volunteered for this job.

For all my efforts, all I've gotten is a badge. Frankly though, for the best part of 2-1/2 years I went without one, so I really don't see that to be a big deal either.  If I don't have it, I wouldn't cease to exist smile

As for the forums, for the better part of a year and half or thereabouts I didn't even know they existed. Guess I was just dumb or perhaps I didn't look around the site as much. Then, for a brief while, I was quite active. However, some of the threads got too heated and personal and I kind of lost interest. I don't think not being around in the forums often is a crime, or is it?

Guess what I am trying to say is I don't have a big EGO. You can have my 'e' if you want it!!

BTW - do not take this personally.  You are a helpful hubber yourself and I am sure many a hubber has probably found your contributions in the forum to be very useful. However, I thought I should put my perspective on this thread since I too am a member with the seemingly infamous 'e' attached to my profile, so take it in that spirit !!

Thanks for your input, I have to admit that I thought that your role was simply to welcome new members in teh forum, it's nice to know that you guys have a much more integral role in bringing new members in to teh Hubpages community!

9. thisisoli profile image70

Please note that this is not a personal attack on anyone, before anyone takes it the wrong way.  Everyone on the Hubgreets team is there for a reason, I think it just seems wierd that they are classified as greeters, when they could be defined much more effectively.

I would feel akward applying for the Hubpages Greet Team as I don't often post a welcome to new hubbers, but I will help them out if they ask a question.

But hubbers who do welcome new members such as Darkside also offer a vast wealth of SEO information, which I feel shoudl be highlighted.

Darkside is the bomb hey Oli?
      I bet he is a very intellegent guy in all areas in his life.
      He really needs to go on Wheel Of Fortune and scoop the prize. smile

Now I know you are too? You would make a great elite just like myself LMAO.

He has a lot of good information in Hubs and in forum posts on SEO, I think that his hubpages elite status should reflect this tongue

10. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Thisisoli, you said: "Creating a group for both internet marketing and creative writing would allow new visitors to not only have a significantly more reliable source of information (See the misinformation threads which sparked much debate) but also have role models for the creative writing aspect of the site."

Is it your opinion that new visitors currently do not have sufficiently "reliable sources of information"? If so, please elaborate.

They don't necessarily lack the access to the right information, but they might be asking people who do note necessarily know the right answer.

I usually end up reading SEO and internet marketing articles for around 3 hours a day (The joys of self employment) simply so I can keep up with the field when I do consultancy work.

For instance a client might talk to me about setting up a facebook group and inviting all of their friends to promote their business.

I personally have only ever set up one facebook group for my own business purposes, but I need to be able to talk competently about why marketing a facebook group to your friends could be a waste of time.

This gives me a pretty solid grounding to talk about SEO and internet marketing.  It also means that I see a lot of information passed about on the forums which is not so much wrong, as irrelevant.

On the other hand my actual English writing skills are moderate, I would definitely be the wrong person to ask for any real serious writing gig. 

Journalism I can do, but when it comes to things like indepth technical writing, I have a tendency to get a bit jumbled up due to my innate disorganized nature. Every oen has their strenghts and weakenesses, i jsut think it would be halpful if new hubbers had a marker to see on people who respond or even discuss particular topics.

1. profile image0

Thanks, I wonder what HubPages' lawyers might have to say about that idea.

2. Rafini profile image82

Every oen has their strenghts and weakenesses, i jsut think it would be halpful if new hubbers had a marker to see on people who respond or even discuss particular topics.

Now that's an interesting idea....rather than the Elite have more groups - would it be automatic (like the accolades?) or would you have to apply?

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I told right from the butt that I disagree with this elite thingy. Not that the people who bear this sign now do not deserve recognition, far from that - but the word "elite" itself just does not fit this. Hal Licino is Elite. Isabella Snow. Mark Knowles. That kind of people. And there are way more of them, those just first three that came to mind. smile

You may not have elite next to your name Mish but you are the elite in my eyes. smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

♥ ♥ ♥

12. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I think HP's intentions were good, but I don't think "elite" was a wise choice of words.

I have an "e" for two reasons, I am one of 30 Hubs/30 Days Challenge team members AND a greeter.  I got disenchanted with the greeting because it is very time-consuming to create a question for a newbie that you hope they'll respond to by writing a hub.  We caught a lot of crap from fellow hubbers for filling up the question section because every question we post to them gets sent there for anyone to answer as well.  I still do it from time to time, but primarily assist folks with the 30 day Hub Challenge.

I think there should be another grouping of folks, techies if you will, that is comprised of folks that are familiar with SEO, SERP, online marketing, etc.  Oli would be perfect for this category.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Elite means "a group of people regarded as the best in a particular society or organization." (OED), "a group or class of persons enjoying superior intellectual or social or economic status" (Princeton).

Elite Hubbers are generous, supportive people willing to give their time to support the HubPages community.  Calling them "elite" doesn't describe that function in any way, shape or form.  And as you can see, many of them are uncomfortable with the term although they're happy to do the job.

At best, calling them "elite" says they're "the best" at Hubbing. At worst, calling them "elite" says they're toffee-nosed, superior beings.  Neither is true, so the term is misleading.  A V for volunteer would be more accurate.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES, Marisa, well said.  Volunteers are crucial to any well run organization, and may I say, HubPages is one.

13. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

Wow...I've been here for over three years and didn't even know there was a Hub Pages Elite.

14. Jule Romans profile image95
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

I agree about the  "tech" idea. Maybe a designation offered  to those who are

1) Making lots of money
    2) Getting appropriate traffic
    3) Publish lots of hubs that share up to date and reasonably accurate knowledge about SEO, backlinks, strategies, etc. Bearing in mind, of course, that knowledge in this area is quite fluid.
    4) Demonstrate exemplary respect for others in forums and comments.
    5) Have established X amount of time on HP with no or very few problems with their hubs

They could get a gold star on their profile pic! (see above post)

Hmmm. Maybe lots of those people are already doing the 30 and 60 DC?

1. profile image0

Quite frankly, I think it is an impractical idea unless those experts are employed by HubPages, which must take legal responsibility for the advice rendered. It would be the end of the help forum as we know it. The proper term for it is technical support.

Not at all, hubpages would take no legal liability for simply marking out users who dish out a lot of SEO advice. 

The only way legal action could be taken against someone giving out SEO or internet marketing aadvice would be if they were intentionally attempting to decieve or defraud someone.

Even then it would be against the person, not Hubpages.

1. profile image0

Once you make semi-official "experts" out of people giving advice about serious technical matters, the advice becomes almost indistinguishable from technical support. Which is why HubPages will never go along with your suggestion. That was my point.

Maybe, however Hubpages would certainly not be the first online presence to put markers against members who provide a lot of support in different areas.

Besides, SEO and internet marketing is far from a technical support role, it doesn't work on fixing anything, it is merely knowledge based on marketing strategies and SEO concepts.

1. profile image0

These areas are equally important to people's livelihood. But I wish you good luck with selling your idea "on the mountain."

15. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I enjoy greeting new hubbers.  We also are on the look out for those who start an account that are spammers or underage.  I'm no different than anyone else & anyone can apply.  Just because there is an "e" next to my name, doesn't change me. Its just a label - so don't judge me by my label big_smile 

I haven't gained any followers because of the "e" and my hubs are not viewed more now than they were before the "e".  So it does nothing for traffic smile

I gladly volunteer my time to seek out new hubbers and welcome them and invite them to ask me questions if they need to...nothing wrong with that smile

I do agree with Relache, the t-shirt & mug are awesome.

16. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago

To keep things in perspective... the Elite status wasn't something that people signed up for, it was 'awarded' retroactively. So the people who were already involved in 30 Day Challenge, HubMob, HubNuggets, HubGreeters were given a little label.

So the e doesn't stand for Expert. And Elite isn't an indication that they are any better than anyone else, but that they gave selflessly without thought of reward or even recognition. Ironically that's what they got, well the recognition bit. Personally I would have preferred a coffee mug and a t-shirt!

There are plenty of others who do the same but aren't involved in any of those groups, but they don't need a little letter of the alphabet there to get respect. People such as Mark Knowles, Misha, Sunforged, Ryan Kett, Relache, and yes, even thisisoli.

The best indication of a persons worth is the number next to the "Joined" by their avatar. I'm sure that when newbs see 12 or more months that they know they're dealing with someone who isn't just a flash in the pan. That combined with quality posts is what makes a person stand out from the crowd.

1. profile image0

Now that you mention names, I would like to add to the list: Marisa Wright, Cagsil, Darkside, Peter Hoghan, TerryGl, and in some respects PC-Unix.

There are dozens of questions to be answered every day, and the most experienced experts aren't always available - nor are they necessarily always right. I believe it is the forum discussion process, in and of itself, that produces the best answers; rather than any individual personalities.

2. thisisoli profile image70

I think it is important to point out that I have actually been here a year less than my join date.  When I first started here I just put up a few hubs for backlinks, I came back because I had a small sum of money mysteriously appearing in my Adsense account every month that seemed seperate from my other websites.

3. Spacey Gracey profile image39
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Hey Oli - Just wanted to say that when I started I quickly worked out who the good guys are, and who is willing to help, and I hope you know I appreciate the tips and advice you've given me.

Misha - if you are still on thread, your help yestreday really made me take a new approach - thanks.

Jules mentioned that the forums can turn nasty and that's really off-putting to some new hubbers - I totally agree.

4. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Would be cool to have a free t-shirt,  although I'm not sure how many people in my area would recognize Hubpages, they aren't cool enough

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol cute.

thisoli, I always read your posts. some people don't need an e, they already have respect from others. you are certainly one of them. smile

5. Spacey Gracey profile image39
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Richieb - if you travel east until you hit thr coast I will be looking out for your cool tshirt smile

6. thisisoli profile image70

I agree with all the names mentioned so far, even though I disagre with a few of them on occasions :p

I can't help but respect anyone who makes an income online, because I know personally how hard it is!

7. thisisoli profile image70

Haha thanks big_smile

Right I have to start writing anyway, my calendar just dinged, it's time to start writing Halloween hubs for me tongue

8. Len Cannon profile image87
      Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

HubPages should use Microsoft's naming scheme for the Xbox consoles

HubPages Elite
      Hubpages Pro - For the money makers
      Hubpages Premium - We don't get to know what's so special about them, but trust me they are.
      HubPages Arcade - For clowns.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages Premium - I like that. I'd make a good one of those. Also known as "For the narcissists."

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and what about one for the
          'I love you so please love me back - in writing'
          brigade - we could call them  A@@ L@@@@@@

2. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

9. thisisoli profile image70

I kind of get the feeling that complaining about certian people being given Hubpages elite status is like those people who complain that sports should be banned in schools to stop some kids being losers.

Again though it is a case of Elite vs Elitism.

10. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I think that we, the attractive Hubbers, should get an "A" beside our profile

11. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I am afraid if there was an A by my profile, people would think it stood for as*hole! smile

12. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 13 years ago

Been here nearly 3 months now, I worked out eventually what the e was from a few other forum posts, but I have never been "greeted" or had questions posed for me as they suggest the role entails. I have seen a few of the "e" in the forums and interacted with them the same as everyone else, my assumption was that they had just been here a long time, until this thread I had no idea that they had a role!

Oh well.... no big deal I guess.... I listen to most people on here, easy enough to see when someone does not know what they are talking about...

I have been fairly active in the forums, even offering advice to the lost, but I can't say I care particularly about gaining an "e" or any other merit badge. In my mind it just like wearing a target on your back..

13. profile image0

Thisisoli, I have asked HP to take away my "e", so there's an opening. Being the money hubber that I am, my first thought was to have a raffle for it and make some bucks.

14. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years ago

You can have mine, Oli, because you certainly are elite here on HP and everyone values your advice. Many of us had been doing the meeting and greeting for quite awhile without any additional status or insignia--we didn't need any and didn't ask for any. I was gone for several months and was quite surprised at the "e" thingee when I got back. I have to say I agree with Nelle on the whole kindergarten sticker thing.

15. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago
      1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss110/MrVoodoo123/velite2.jpg

Thanks.

I feel better now.

I think Nelle's e is at least two pixels higher than yours. tongue

Pffft, e's are like, so last season. 

I've moved on. wink

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss110/MrVoodoo123/velite3.jpg

1. Ivorwen profile image65
              Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  I love your sense of humor.

Thanks.

Apart from my six-pack and huge penis it's pretty much all I have going for me. smile

16. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I don't know how long it was from the time I first noticed there's such a thing as an "e" and the time I looked it up to see what it meant...   When I looked it up, though, and saw that it meant a person had to be "more involved" than just writing his own stuff, reading other people's stuff, and - if anyone wanted - come to the forums; I thought, "Oh, not the kind of involvement I'd want.  Looks like there'll never be an "e" for me.  lol "  People who have the "e" deserve it because they're apparently willing to "officially sign on" to take on more involvement than their own Hubs (and maybe forum posting).  I don't really see a problem with the whole thing.  That whole thing about getting involved in selecting HubNuggets is enough to scare me off!   lol

I'm not one of the SEO experts on here, of course; but if I think I can be helpful about HubPages in general on here, I'll try.  I don't want to sign on/apply for any "official commitments", though (which is what makes "bad-attitude" like me "non-elite"  lol  )

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ayup.  I like to be helpful, but I wouldn't want it to be an obligation.

Sometimes I have the time, sometimes I don't.   I'm happy to be casually involved.

17. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I still think the title "Elite" sux.  Especially if some of those with the designation have problems with spelling and/or grammar.  Not a good sign!

18. profile image0

I no longer have an "e." Didn't you read that I renounced by elite status.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Way to go, Nellie!  I would have done the same!  Perhaps HP will rethink this poor choice of a title!

19. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm sure there must be plenty of 'elite' hubbers busy working away behind the scenes keeping things moving along. I don't think they need to post in the forums too.

20. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Maybe there needs to be two two categories:  "e" ("plain, old, 'e', as we now know it") and "ee" ("exceptionally elite" or "entirely elite"), with the "ee" category including people who have the "regular 'e'" involvement but who also do the stuff a lot of people apparently think they ought to be doing.  lol

OR...    How about a different "ee" category - "Ex e's" (the people who signed on to do the "e" stuff and who discovered it was way more volunteer involvement than they thought they were bargaining for).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)