I want to write an unpopular hub

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. TimArends profile image86
    TimArendsposted 4 years ago

I want to write a hub that I don't think will be very popular with the HubPages establishment (and maybe many of its regulars): Why Donald Trump Will Win Reelection in 2020.

I say this not only because HubPages tends to frown on Conservative hubs, based on a careful study of the recommendations in its Related Hubs section, which tend to be overwhelmingly liberal, but also because HP prefers "Evergreen" hubs, or hubs that will remain relevant for a long time.

So I guess I'm asking about alternatives to HP, perhaps those that focus on politics (but without being a "ghetto" that nobody visits). I'm not looking to make money, just for a place like HP where there's a chance of an audience and I can write without having to go through an elaborate approval process.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Why not start your own site?

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

But then he would have to rely on that terrible bastion of the liberal elite called "Google" who probably already have his name.

2. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Can you really  travel through time?  yikes

TimArendsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No, but I did predict Trump winning about a week before the 2006 election, at a time when all the polls said he wouldn't.

2. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 4 years agoin reply to this

lol  I can think of a few ideas.  wink

3. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Not true at all. The Popular section is based on what people are reading. This is also what the word means in the English language, the only language one is allowed to write in here on HP.

If you want an audience, write it up and then give it a shout out on the topical forums, there are many who would love to read it. Not me.

No, I'm not talking about the Popular section. I'm talking about the Related section, like the Related suggestion on your SEO hub "Free Ways of Getting Traffic to Your Website" which is related to SEO.

My own informal investigation shows that pro-conservative and especially pro-Trump hubs tend to get anti-Trump suggestions in the Related section, while anti-Trump hubs ALSO get anti-trump suggestions in the Related section.

Not too surprising, I guess, considering that HP is headquartered in San Fran, one of the most liberal cities in the union.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

The related section is the same as the popular articles, just that they don't pick the popular ones from a category on the niche site, but they pick articles with shared keywords that are popular. That is why I kind of have a lot of my own hubs showing up on my tomato hubs as popular because they are the ones getting a lot of traffic and contain the word tomato.

If you write a lot of hubs or if a lot of hubs that are pro Trump get a lot of traffic they will show up on the anti-Trump pages too.

Why would you think HP would even bother investing in making sure that anti-Trump pages are shown and not the other way around. If that was their goal, they could achieve it far easier by just not allowing your hubs to move to a niche site by pointing some flaw or another. Faster and a cheaper solution.

What I see on your tomato hub are 4 out of 5 hubs in the Related section that mention tomatoes while in the Popular section are hubs about the more general category of "food." So your claim that "The related section is the same as the popular articles, just that they don't pick the popular ones from a category on the niche site" is irrelevant.

On the other hand, your claim that "If you write a lot of hubs or if a lot of hubs that are pro Trump get a lot of traffic they will show up on the anti-Trump pages too" is simply false. I'm talking about an effort by HubPages to KEEP pro-Trump pages from getting traffic by not including them in the Related section, a form of shadowbanning,

You don't seem to understand how it works. A category is "food" for instance not tomatoes on the niche site. It's totally relevant.

Either way, you asked for help, had a totally wrong understanding of how HP worked and I tried to help give you the right info. Do what you want with it.

Do you have a lot of traffic on your Pro-Trump article, if not, your info on the topic is irrelevant unless you know of another hubber getting a lot of traffic and more than the anti-Trump hubs, yet does not show.

"Do you have a lot of traffic on your Pro-Trump article, if not, your info on the topic is irrelevant unless you know of another hubber getting a lot of traffic and more than the anti-Trump hubs, yet does not show."

"Amount of traffic" is not relevant on the Related section, only on the Popular section. Look at the names of the sections, It's pretty much self-explanatory. "Related" is, or should be, those hubs that most closely match the keywords and theme of the hub on which they appear, regardless of traffic. "Popular" is the general category into which the hub falls, containing the hubs which have the most traffic. Not rocket science.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93
              Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is not really much of an advantage being featured in the "Related" section anyway. For your hub to be successful it will need to get traffic from the search engines. So, even if your theory was true (which I don't think it is) that would not prevent your hub from getting traffic.

I'm afraid there is a lot of competition on this subject on the Internet though. Plenty of people who get paid to analyze these things. So, you need to have a really unique insight. Even if you do, it's just hard to get found if you haven't established a reputation.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your hub does not have to be popular with HP or anyone who writes here. As long as it does not break any rules, and is well-written enough to be featured, you will be at the mercy of Google. If it can't attract the attention of the search engines here, it probably won't anywhere else either.

5. TimArends profile image86

Just wanted to say that I have published my hub with Hubpages and i am happy with the treatment of it here! My article was selected for a HubPages Network site and it has even gotten a few comments. Thanks to all for the advice.

https://hubpages.com/politics/Why-Donal … lection-In

2. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

Timothy, you already wrote "No Joke! 50 Ways Donald Trump will Make America Great Again" in 2017. How's that working for you?

He's up to about 25, but unfortunately, he's lagging on the Wall. Not sure how that answers the original question, however.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

Just write and publish the hub. You don't need to run it by the forums. I wrote a hub on 20 reasons why the European Union is likely to collapse. It made it to Soapboxie, gets a few views and earns very little money. I don't think that's due to a liberal conspiracy though. Opinion pieces are fun to produce but the public aren't generally very interested unless you have a name and reputation.

1. greenmind profile image95
      greenmindposted 4 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. TimArends profile image86

You're right. The fact that no one can name a more conservative-leaning site similar to HubPages convinces me that there probably is none.

That's your takeaway from Pauls reply. Wow.

4. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

Most of my hubs are declining in popularity at the moment. I hate to be gloomy but i reckon the end is approaching. For me, at least.

Had a good run though, lol. A ten year break in sunny climes is not to be sniffed at...

5. profile image32
    TonyaRogersposted 4 years ago

Well, there are a lot of variants to add the hub, but what do you need the really unpopular one to do? Please, clarify.

https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2017/03/02/09/26/question-mark-2110767_960_720.jpg

I want to explain why Trump will win based on psychology and a knowledge of American history, regardless of variable and unpredictable factors such as the state of the economy at the time of the election.

I think a more interesting piece would describe how and why you fell in love.

6. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

Just write the damn thing and see what happens.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image95
      FatFreddysCatposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What he said.

2. TimArends profile image86

The support of my fellow Hubbers is touching.

C'mon, this thread is a wonderful confirmation of your worldview. What could be more supportive?

7. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 4 years ago

Sherry said it all. You have to ask yourself the question "who cares what I think?" If I wrote a liberal opinion piece no one would read it. If I wrote several liberal opinion pieces, no one would read them. People seek out the opinions of those in the know, people with reputations. Maybe you would do better on a blog site. That way you would not feel the Hubpages is not standing in your way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)