Scrapped/Reset Pinterest

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

As configured, the site has been basically worthless to me. Deleted all existing boards and created a single, new one. The new board will blatantly plug my articles and nothing else. It'll either fly or not. If not, I really don't care; I already consider Pinterest pretty much a lost cause anyway.

As a side note, I aborted Twitter years ago.

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I get a steady trickle of traffic from Pinterest.  The site works for me because I write about gardening, a popular topic on the site.

2. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you self promote, they will shut down your account, secretly.  That happened to Mark Ewbie.  They let you post and what not, but there is no link juice and I think maybe the links don't even work.  So you keep putting effort into, it for zero return.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that from the old days. Oddly, the last two days I've gotten the impression from them they are fine with it now and it is even encouraged. However, I could be dead wrong. I'll wait a week and do a Google search to find out one way or the other.

2. OldRoses profile image94

Declare yourself a business and you can self-promote all you want.  You can even "promote" pins just like Facebook.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
          DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

How do you go about that? (I have had over 900,000 visitors from the site so I think it is worth the effort, but in the last few months I have not seen any repins.)

Easy peasy.  Click on the three dots in the upper right corner on your home page on Pinterest and choose "Add a free business account".  Pinterest will walk your through the steps.  I did this because I do have a business as a speaker and writer on herbs.  I pin articles from my website.

For my articles on HubPages, I'm trying a strategy this year that I heard about, probably here on the forums.  I am deleting pins and repinning them.  That way they show up in people's feeds again and hopefully get repinned.  I am seeing some more traffic using this technique, but it is still too early to tell if it is truly effective.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
              DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I just went through it.
              I have been using a different strategy. If you delete it does it affect the people that have repinned that pin? What I have started doing is repinning (mostly to group boards) those photos that I have already pinned some time back.
              I have no idea if this is the most effective method.

I don't think that deleting pins affects the repins because the pin itself is linked to the URL of the article and not to the individual pin on your page.

3. eugbug profile image95
        eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

They never admit to it when asked though.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I get some hits from Pinterest. But I only randomly put up articles there - about once every few months.

What I'm more interested in is how to make Instagram work for a writer.

I've had 54,114 referrals from pinterest, but I don't know over what period that is.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Yeah, I gave up trying to use Pinterest as an avenue for drawing traffic a long time ago. I still have an account there, but I use it to save/collect images of old movie posters, comic book covers, rock n' roll album covers, and other cool pop culture junk for my own amusement.

3. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

I don't get much traffic from Twitter or Facebook, but I get about 200 views a day from Pinterest in the summer. I'm not sure about shadow banning. I self promote a lot of the time. I think maybe the traffic comes from repins rather than pins.

4. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

I declared myself a business a few years ago. Are there any consequences like selling your soul to the Pinterest devil? I never noticed any benefits other than possibly having access to Pinterest analytics stats.

You can promote your pins and your business which you cannot do with a personal account.  They charge for it, though.  The business account itself is free.

1. eugbug profile image95

They never charged me anything though for ordinary pins. Is that if you post premium ad type pins?

Yes, you have to pay for the good stuff.  Ordinary pins are free.

1. Solaras profile image94
            Solarasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this info

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You can still pin stuff for free. It only costs you if you want to promote your pins. I did some experimentation with paid promotions. I did get a lot more "engagement" and a few more repins on my pins, but not a lot more actually clicking through on my articles.

My overall views from Pinterest has increased though, so maybe there is some lasting advantage to paid promoting. On a few days I have actually gotten more views from Pinterest than from Google.

Also, I repin the same article multiple times without deleting the old pins. I spread them around to different, but related boards. The only time I have a problem with it is if I click on my own pin to repin. Go back and pin from the article, or create a new pin and link it to your article.

5. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Well, posted all the pins I'm going to post on Pinterest. Next time I visit them will probably be year 2021.

6. Doneta Wrate profile image80
    Doneta Wrateposted 4 years ago

According to what I have read on the forum, pinterest does good for some people and others not, depending on what topics you write on.  I think one hubber said her gardening articles did well on pinterest.

1. eugbug profile image95

Images need to be pretty, appealing, interesting, cute, funny etc to please the fickle viewers.
      The last two animated math GIFs (graphs) I created are pinned every day if that means anything. Maybe a slideshow of images (with overlayed text) from a hub, turned into a GIF would be enticing?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)