As a Writer, I already Live a Self-Isolated Lifestyle

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Don Bobbitt profile image83
    Don Bobbittposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/14771881.jpg
    I hear so many of my friends complain about being housebound during this Self-Isolation phase that we citizens of the World are being forced to live. As a Writer, I already have an Isolated lifestyle, I just have to add a facemask when I do go out for food and such.
    Sure, the world is suffering and many, many people are out of work and the immediate future looks dim for months to come; but for me,  I work numerous hours every day trying to generate articles and books for others to purchase and read. OK, I can't run down to the Pub for a Beer, and I can't meet a friend for a late dinner, but to quote Spock; I hope you and I, Live Well and Prosper!

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  I work from home so my life hasn't changed significantly.  Still the same daily grind.  The biggest change is how I shop for groceries.  I used to buy different items from different stores to get the prices and brands that I prefer but nowadays more stores means more potential exposure to the virus, so I only shop once a week at one store.  If they don't have what I want, I do without.  If they only carry more expensive brands on certain items, I either do without or spend more.

Don Bobbittposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's Funny! When I shop the only time having to change a food item bothers me is when it may affect my recipes!
        Have  Great Day,
        DON

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Not going to lie, I actually enjoy not having to deal with people. I'm accustomed to this lifestyle too, I've lived this way voluntarily and involuntarily for many years, at times not, but either way I'm used to it and actually like it. I'm not even looking forward to them lifting the Shelter in Place order. And, when they do, I hope people will have a change of heart and see the value of being able to do things you normally can't do because you're tied to the grind.

3. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
      Gregory DeVictorposted 4 years agoin reply to this

After many years of inner-city public school teaching, this lifestyle of working remotely is a blessing. Yes, I go out most days and do an extreme power walk in my neighborhood. However, being able to set my own hours and pace is an advantage.

Yes, I find it challenging to do the grocery shopping now with all of the new rules. Like OldRoses, I used to go to several stores to get the best prices, but I am now focusing on just one supermarket and getting there early. (I see that lots of people are doing the same now.)

I’ve had people tell me that they would never work from home because they would end up being on Facebook all day or staying in bed watching reruns of police dramas on TV. Not me though. I have gone in the opposite direction and immerse myself in work.

If anybody has ever written a doctoral dissertation, they would quickly know what self-isolation really is.

4. Cynthia Hoover profile image90
      Cynthia Hooverposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I live a fairly secluded life as well. Not much has changed for me at all. Other than my son is no longer attending school. So the only real changes to our everyday routine has been skipping school drop off and me take the role of teacher. Though I am reminded of daily now of why I chose to not home school him to begin with.

For me shopping has changed but not by much. We are very rural. So it has always been a 30 mile one way trip just to get the market. With the current state of things I find myself shopping online more. The last few trips to town proved unfruitful, and I am still searching for toilet paper like so many others are. It flies off the shelves faster than I can get to town to buy it.

So the only thing we miss is our monthly 'treat'. There is a small local owned and operated restaurant that we would visit. I do worry how they will manage moving forward as they are a buffet and not doing any delivery services at this time.

5. Tidbits25 profile image73
      Tidbits25posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I also haven't been very social the past years. My only form of socialization is with family and coworkers. Somehow staying at home allowed me to indulge in writing.

Don Bobbittposted 3 years agoin reply to this

For me, Writing turned into an addiction. As I got better at it, the more ideas I had for my next project. So, I don't mind the different lifestyle.
        Have a Great day,
        DON

2. bhattuc profile image85
    bhattucposted 4 years ago

It is interesting to note that you are already living in your own internal comfort which might appear as isolation to the outsiders. One has to live life as per one's liking and that is what matters most.

So True! Why do I Write? Because it allows my Mind to take Flight and travel the World of Yesterday and Tomorrow at the same time! Such Fun!
      Have a Great Day,
      DON

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"As a Writer, I already Live a Self-Isolated Lifestyle"

Same here and I'm fine with it. smile

I feel I am a member of an exclusive Club of people with Wandering Minds!
      DON

4. Margaret Pan profile image94
    Margaret Panposted 4 years ago

I already spent much of my time being home, so my life hasn't changed significantly either. What's frustrating for me is the fact that I can't be with the people close to me, can't meet my friends, etc.

1. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

yes it is sad indeed not meeting your love ones especially parents, siblings or your own kids

5. profile image0
    Marisa Writesposted 4 years ago

This is exactly the reason why being a writer didn't work for me.  I like to write, but I  can't stand the isolation. I don't just need company (as in, another person in the house), I need to interact with people for a good portion of my day.  If I don't, I get depressed and feel drained.

I'll tell you a secret - my former dedication to the HubPages forums wasn't because I felt a driving need to help people.  It arose from a desperate need to talk to someone, even if it was only online. But it still wasn't really enough. I realised that I needed to get back out into the real world, and that's the main reason I sold my account.

And so I did.  I'd been doing pretty well until this virus came along!

6. Don Bobbitt profile image83

Marisa - As the saying goes; "It takes Different Strokes for Different Folks!" and I understand your personal feelings about Isolation. Me? I have always been something of an Introvert who loves to Think about things; and I have found that thinking takes time and requires a certain amount of silence. LOL!
    Gave a Great Day,
    DON

7. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

Even though I live alone I'm lucky I live in a small town in a beautiful part of the UK, so I can still get out and walk in the countryside.  I also see many of my friends when I go out, so can have a socially-distanced chat in the fresh air.  In times like this, I try to concentrate on the things I am grateful for.  Writing and jewelry making are real gift activities at a time like this.

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Same here. We live in a small village in South Wales. Walking dogs in the woods and having 'distant' chats with other dog walkers. Talking to son in Australia via Skype. Speaking to my mother every day. It's all quite pleasant.

8. Don Bobbitt profile image83

Thanks so much for your comments, everyone. I now feel like I am a member of an exclusive club of people who prefer more of a reclusive lifestyle.
    Have a Great Day,
    DON

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)