4th of July Parade

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Miebakagh57 profile image70
    Miebakagh57posted 2 years ago

The 4th of July is a special landmark in USA.                              Please show love to one another.                    If God has bless you with a big harvest, share generously. If the harvest is small share.     Happy 4th of July parade to all USA citizens!

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That is a lovely sentiment, Miebakagh. Your well wishes are especially appreciated. It is also good advice. Thank you.

Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

MizBejabbe, thanks for responding. Were you an American citizen? Have a great parade! Enjoy your picnic likewise.

Miebakagh, I am an American citizen through and through. I don't know anything else.  My first ancestors settled in New Amsterdam (now New York) in the late 1500s. They were later joined by four ancestors who came over on the Mayflower, then ancestors settled in the Virginia colony, and my Johnny-come-lately ancestors came from Ireland (Scots Irish), France, and Germany in the mid-1700s, and fought in the Revolutionary War. Most of my ancestors were protestants seeking religious freedom (pilgrims, Huguenots, etc.). (However, I do know of one young Frenchman whose father brought him to this country and dumped him alone because he'd killed a man in a duel, and would have been hanged.) So this makes me a Heinz57 mutt American, as we say in this country. I know all this because of the research I've done for membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). I say this with pride, not bragging but just stating facts, like I'm sure that you are proud of your African ancestry. I'm sure you have an ancestry to be proud of, too. I'd like to know more about you and yours.

Miz, I'm glad that I read  History at school and college, and at university level.                                  In sub-Sahara West Africa, a type of this Amercan settlement is specific in countries like  Liberia and Freetown. Here Europeans settled and intermarried with the liberated slaves per  Lord Mansfield famous judgement.                                        As for me, my ancestors are Niger Deltans. I've got to make the big picture story small here.                               Migrating away from a war torn Benin Kingdom, sub-Chief Gabriel told my uncle Justice J. A. Fiberesima, a judge of high court bench, how Benin vomit out the various ethnicties inclding my Great Kirike or Okrika.                                          Fiberesima, had to marry from the Ibo country to the East, to build the family, as the west is buried in war.                                            Around the mid 1850, the British became involve in the internal affairs of the Fiberesima family, to birth Anglicanism.

1. LADS Family profile image94
              LADS Familyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the insight into your history.  - Loretta

Lorretta, you're welcome.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88

Thank you for your information. That is very interesting, especially about the war. Many years ago when I was working as an anchor reporter for a regional news network, I worked with a young Ibo man who was working on his masters degree in business and economics at a nearby university. His first name was George, but I wish I could remember his last name. He'd been in whatever war was going on around 1980 (Bangladesh?) before he came here to further his education. He said his father was a chief, and he was planning to go home to work in the family business. What I remember the most about George was his sense of humor and his accent sounded British. Small world, isn't it?

Miz, I was also involve in the Nigerian-Biafran War. So is George. But this George seems to be an odd bone.                                 Significant as the war is, it costs 1.5 million souls on the part of the Ibo people.                                           An Ibo male took Emeka, Ngozi, and  Okoro, Bianca, Nfioma, Chi and Chinyere are normal girls names.                                         Seriously, a man to take George as first or second name in Iboland is unthinkable.                                     Critically, I did a little research today on Ibo names. If a person is  Baptist, Catholic, or Anglican, native names are always. Its Catholics that took latin first names or as a second name.                                      More so, as for his British ascent, it may be that he schooled in a "Kings" college or secmdary school(Queens) is the opposite. These were the pioneer English Missions schools.

That is really sad about the cost to the Ibo people. George was an older student, probably mid-30s. I'm not sure where he got his undergraduate degree. It may have been England. He took a break to fight in the war.
                  Interesting about native names. Maybe George wasn't his real name. Maybe he assumed it when he came to this country to go to college so he would fit in. I didn't get too close to him because he kept trying to get me to go out with him. I wouldn't think of it because he was married. They were separated at the time, but still....
                  About names, a local lady I worked with at one radio station was married to a Nigerian. He also had a British accent and went by the first name of Eddie. They had an African last name of which she was very proud. I remember it, but I won't mention it here for privacy reasons.

2. LADS Family profile image94
      LADS Familyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

How lovely.  Thank you so much.  Loretta

Loretta, thank you, and enjoy a grand picnic.

3. erorantes profile image49
      erorantesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi mister Miebakagh 57. It is great to see you doing well.  Yes, it is a very special day to all Americans and residents. I do share what ever little. I have with who ever stay in touch with me. I share my food with others, and others share with me. I see many helping one another. Once in a while, I find a person that it is not sharing. They straggler. It is better to be nice. I saw the fireworks on TV. Miami did not have fireworks in some areas because some building that collapsed and had some casualties. It was in memory of those great people that the fireworks were canceled. It was on the news. Thank you for your good wishes. You too . Happy 4th of July. You are part of us.

erorantes, I appreciated your hearts expressions. At school, I was interested in History and World Affairs. So America open herself up to me.                                  As a student of America history, I learn more about her past and present. I appreciated you.

2. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

Thank you Miebakagh...
    Happy Fourth of July to everyone.

Brenda, enjoy the grand show. Thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)