Be careful when revising an article

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

I rewrote, then deleted an article that I had written 10 years ago. The, I was wrongly accused of plagiarism, when it was my own article that apparently causing the problem.

It was so frustrating, especially on a holiday weekend. It finally was cleared today. I have been writing here for 12 years and was never accused of plagiarism until now.

1. Misbah786 profile image84
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Oh Pamela, So sorry to hear that. It happened to me as well. It is really frustrating. Did you previously publish that article on HP or elsewhere?

I believe we should delete first, then rewrite and publish it after 8 hours. That, I believe, is why they consider it plagiarism. I'm glad to hear that it's all sorted out now.

I read your article. It's really interesting, but it's not showing up in my feed. I always appreciate your efforts. Your articles are always very interesting, helpful, and informative. smile
      You are a very valuable member of our beautiful community. smile

Blessings and Love to you!

Pamela99posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Sweet Misbah,

I had posted this article on Hubpages 10 years ago. I did some research, got some new videos, etc. Then, I deleted the old article right before I published the revised article. Live and learn!

I'm not surprised it is not in your feed as it just got okayed today after I wrote them a complaining email. I have been here 12 years and never had this happen before.

I am glad you find my article interesting, Misbah.

Much love and blessings for you always!

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's just not a good idea to delete an article unless you absolutely just want to get rid of it, for two reasons: One of them is because it will remain in the search engine for awhile and if you re-write it like you did, it will come up as duplicate content. Then the other reason not to do it is because it gets rid of its age, and age is a factor in ranking in the search engine. This was an avoidable problem.

This is not the same as Rupert's case in which someone actually stole his article.

You make some good points,. Thank you.

3. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

When you revise an article you should not delete it and create a new one. You should revise the existing article. Here is what happened. A few sites copied your original article from 10 years ago. When you deleted your original article and created a new one instead of revising, the copied version became the oldest copy published on the web. That is why your article was detected as duplicate. If you revise your existing article the original publication date is kept. If you create an entirely new article it creates a new publish date. Please email team@hubpages.com if you would like further assistance.

4. Abby Slutsky profile image91
      Abby Slutskyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Glad it was worked out.

Thank you Abby.

5. Shing Araya profile image77
      Shing Arayaposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Thank you. This is informational to me. I'm sorry to hear though about this experience

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Pamela, it is hurtful to be accused of plagiarism especially when you put as much effort into your articles as you do. The lesson here I think is to wait a day or so after deleting before publishing a new updated article so that the previous one has been cleared from records. The alternative is not to delete the previous one but just upgrade it.

I have been hit with duplication a couple of times for reposting a poem here that I had previously published elsewhere because I hadn’t allowed enough time after deleting it at the other site. I think it is recommended to allow Google three days to clear it from their search engine.
    I am glad you sorted it out with HubPages staff eventually and it is now cleared.

Thanks John. I agree that I need to wait more time if I want to update an article. If I have relevant new information I want to update and then post it so people will know. I learned a lesson anyway!

1. bravewarrior profile image87
        bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Pamela, I would suggest you revise but don't delete. When you revise, the original copyright date remains, so there's no question that the article is yours. We're encouraged to update our articles from time to time so they rank with the SERPS and bring more/new traffic. I would not delete anything unless you really do want it gone.

Updating is the way to go.

Sorry to hear you were accused of plagiarism. The good news is the original version was recognized by Google. All the more reason to update/edit rather than delete and re-create.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Jodah is correct. It's much better to update the old article on a word document. One can then copy and paste this into a new capsule as a new paragraphe, or within the text, with new pictures and video. Then hit the publish now button, and viola, you're done.                                    Apparently, a warning will appear when an article is being delete. It's a 24 hour waiting period that the page will be cleared onlne. Some have known to ignore it and go ahead. And the result of re-publishing within this 24-hour period can be plagiarism or duplicate content.

It is a good idea. Thank you.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Pamela99, you're welcome.

3. john000 profile image93
    john000posted 2 years ago

So sorry, Pamela, about the accusation. We live in a time of increasing speed. It would be nice if some things had governors, like accusations of plagiarism. Oh, well, be back to the writing board.

Thank you. We do live in a time where things occur with increasing speed So, I leaned a lesson!

4. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

Pamela
    Oh wow! 
    I guess deleting it caused the problem, but they certainly should know you better than that after all this time.
    I'm glad it got cleared up.

Thank you Brenda. I guess I need to update and not delete.

5. Charles Emerenwa profile image59
    Charles Emerenwaposted 2 years ago

So sorry to hear what had happened, Ms Pamela. Thankfully the issue has been cleared and your good name restored. Appreciate you sharing your experience as a testimony of what not to do or how it could have been done better. Will heed the advise moving forward when I plan to update some of my old hubs.

We learn so much from each other, and from our mistakes. Thank you for commenting, Charles.

6. bhattuc profile image83
    bhattucposted 2 years ago

Does it mean that we should not delete it and simply edit and update it online.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Most assurdly yes. Just update it online and hit publish now button.                                                It's much better if you update on a word document. Then copy and paste on hubpages.

I appreciate your input, Miebakagh. I think you are right. Thank you.

2. Pamela99 profile image90

Some people think that is exactly what we should. If we do want to delete it I think it is important to wait a couple of days before posting it again after updating or rewriting the article.

7. MariaMontgomery profile image88
    MariaMontgomeryposted 2 years ago

That happened to me, too, when I was moving some old blog posts to HP. The HP Edit Team told me to delete the old one at least 24 hours before publishing the new one -- also said 48 hours is better. I have re-done a couple of HP articles, too. My reason was to get a better URL. The old ones were too long, and misleading, as the content had changed drastically for the better. Glad you got it straightened out.

Thank you Maria, that sounds like a good timeframe. Articles that I wrote 10 or 12 years ago need updating sometimes.

8. Carola Finch profile image93
    Carola Finchposted 2 years ago

You also have the option of asking Google (or other browsers, I imagine) to remove the link you want to take down.  I had to do this with a business website that I shut down.  It was up for months otherwise. Here is the link:
    https://developers.google.com/search/do … 2&rd=1

Thank you Carola. I appreciate the link as I didn't know you could do that.

9. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

I didn't know about the date being kept. The old articles can be updated, but they are never featured in any way, which is another reason I was posting a new article. I appreciate the information you provided.

10. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 20 months ago

Glad the issue is over.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)