jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Making a Hubber's Will (probate) - Have you thought about it?

  1. Susana S profile image98
    Susana Sposted 7 years ago

    It occured to me a few weeks ago that if i was to die suddenly then no-one would know about my future affiliate sales, ad revenue etc. I decided I need to write a list of all my affiliate programs and log in details and put it with my important documents, but can you actually transfer your adsense account after death??!! Should I add my husband as a user of my account (and all my other accounts)?

    I was talking to my nan about it and she said that bank accounts are frozen when someone dies and that that probably incudes income. I would want my kids to get my future revenue and not have it bounce back to the affiliates!

    I wonder if any hubbers have written a will that includes what to do with their future earnings?

  2. bearnmom profile image66
    bearnmomposted 7 years ago

    While it is true that when a person dies, their name is removed from their bank account by use of a death certificate.  In the case of a joint account the other person continues to use the same account.  This is what happened when my husband passed away.  If you have only your name on the account it is immediately frozen and all future income can not be deposited into it.  Also, a problem when you have insurance payments sent to you made payable to the deceased.  It then becomes impossible for the family to pay your medical bills with these legitimate medical payments.  Using this rationale, I would consider putting a beneficiary on your account or making it a joint account especially if it is a lucrative venture.

  3. Susana S profile image98
    Susana Sposted 7 years ago

    Thanks for responding bearnmom smile I think that's a good idea to add someone to my bank account so it's a joint account - maybe my mum or husband. This would circumvent some potential problems. I think i need to look into what happens with writers royalties also as it's a similar scenario. Hmmm, lots to think about smile

  4. sunforged profile image76
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

    File as a LLC

    Use your business name and tax id for all your aff programs

    side effect is you can acquire duplicate adsense and various other useful back up accounts

    You can make whoever you like partners and beneficiaries of the LLCs holdings

  5. Susana S profile image98
    Susana Sposted 7 years ago

    Hi sunforged - thanks smile What is LLC? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

    1. sunforged profile image76
      sunforgedposted 7 years agoin reply to this

      Im sure it does.

      In the US a LLC, is a Limited Liability Corporation

      it seems the Uk equivalent is:

      United Kingdom

      The new form of Limited liability partnership (created in 2000) is similar to a U.S. LLC as it is tax neutral: member partners are taxed at the partner level, but the LLP itself pays no tax. It is treated as a body corporate for all other purposes including VAT. Otherwise all companies, including limited companies and US LLCs, are treated as corporate bodies subject to Corporation Tax if the profits of the entity belong to the entity and not to its members.

      from wiki

      The important part is your LLP doesnt die just because a partner does and you can continue to receive earnings and deed those earnings to others.

      Here in the US by incorporating as a LLC I also get a unique tax id that can be used when filling out aff program apps including adsense, I would expect the UK has similar options

  6. Susana S profile image98
    Susana Sposted 7 years ago

    Yes, I understand now - I should set up a company limited by guarantee and have family members as the other partners. That is a big pain in the butt, lol, but I appreciate the advice. It's something to think about for sure. smile

    1. sunforged profile image76
      sunforgedposted 7 years agoin reply to this

      Depends on earnings levels i guess, but here in the US one can set up their own LLC for around $150 in filing fees if the knoiw what they are doing...it prob costs around 1500 to have a lawyer do it for you.

      tax benefits and having doubles on all your accounts is worth a couple of bucks

  7. Ms Chievous profile image80
    Ms Chievousposted 7 years ago

    I have wondered about this same topic myself! Filing as LLC sounds like the way to go.I had always thought putting it in a will would cover it but I guess not.

  8. sunforged profile image76
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago
  9. sunforged profile image76
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

    ive heard good things about legalzoom.com

  10. Susana S profile image98
    Susana Sposted 7 years ago

    Just doing a bit of research and in the UK it would have to be a private limited company which is a form of LLC. Not too much to set up as you say, but quite a bit of paperwork.

    Haven't found much on wills and royalties except this which will be no use to you since it's UK law: http://local.clitheroeadvertiser.co.uk/ … oe_EN.html

    Looks like I would need to get a will drawn up by a professional in this area.