Article Unpublished Because of Duplicate Content

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (30 posts)
  1. ControlledChaos1 profile image94
    ControlledChaos1posted 2 years ago

The article in question was "Good Title and Caption Ideas for Content Creators". Here is the link to the unpublished page at least showing the url (https://discover.hubpages.com/technology/Caption-Ideas). I published this article on 2-21-22. There is usually a 1 day wait time for approval. On 2-22-22 (I think), I got notes (Needs Edit) and an email with following language:

Text that appears in whole or large part on another site.
    Text that appears in whole or large part on HubPages.
    Text that is substantially similar to another work, including closely paraphrased work.

I set out to re-write and add to the article (1250 words up to 2058 words) and then re-submitted on 2-28-22. I got similar message back. I looked up "free plagiarism checker" and chose (https://www.duplichecker.com/). I tested my first block of text and it gave me the website where some of it was "copied". To my shock it was my entire original article, even down to the intro picture that I created in Photoshop. It said that this article was published on 2-22-22, the day after I first submitted my article to Hubpages for publication. Something is not right here. Below is that website on something called "Gourmet Pro".

https://acpeo.com/2022/02/22/good-title … -creators/

As of today (3-1-22), I have sent emails trying to convey this information to Hubpages, but thought it might be a good idea to do this too, to get feedback. I hope that someone at Hubpages sees this, as the information might be in a little bit better order than my 2 emails I sent.

Basically, I feel like my integrity is being questioned, and it doesn't feel good. Here's the question I have... How is it possible for me to submit my article for publication on 2-21-22 and it not even be OK'd to be published, yet someone published it on 2-22-22 on Gourmet Pro at the following address:
    (https://acpeo.com/2022/02/22/good-title … -creators/)

I need this to be explained to me and rectified. I hope someone will offer some words of wisdom as this has either happened before or will keep happening if not dealt with.

Again, sorry for the length, but I wanted to be as concise as possible.

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
      letstalkabouteducposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The same thing happened to me. I also received that exact message. I wrote HP but haven't heard back. I'm wary about publishing anything else until this is cleared up. I've been writing here for 7 years and have never had this issue. You're right about HP's terse message. It didn't sit well with me.

ControlledChaos1posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I just would like an explanation on how, if my original article wasn't even published, could have ended up word for word (and picture) on another site on pretty much the exact same day mine would have been featured. For people who write here, this has got to be a concern.

2. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If you check the recent posts in the forum, Misbah has also had problems with the site that has copied your article. They seem to be searching for articles that have recently been published. Sending an email to writers here saying that they have copied the article does question their integrity and isn't right.

I don't understand why HubPages doesn't check the date of publication of each article. If the email that you and Misbah received is automated, then the process should be changed and the date stamp of the two articles should be checked before an email is sent to the original writer.

Edit: McKenna has had the same problem. This really need to be dealt with.

With me, my article didn't pass quality control, and there were notes on it saying "duplicate" and "needs edit". I really didn't do my own search for duplication until I had re-submitted the article and it was turned down again. I sent another email (my 3rd - hope I don't get in trouble) sending them a link to this help forum post, as I think I'm laying out the problem better.

2. alancaster149 profile image79
        alancaster149posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Is this 'content filching' to do with articles that deal with certain themes? Mention's been made of a gourmet site, but it seems other subject matter's been affected. I wouldn't want to have to re-write long pieces because the subject matter's been covered elsewhere. I've had messages from HP to that effect before and accepted it. I wouldn't want it to become a barrier to reaching my 'audience'.

1. Jodah profile image88
          Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

No, there does not seem to be any common theme to the articles scraped. The offending site masquerades as Gourmet Pro, but none or few of the stolen articles appear to be connected to food. I have had three stolen, all on different unrelated topics…one short story, one poem, on essay. Funny thing is all the stolen articles seem to be placed under the category “Business” on the site.

1. alancaster149 profile image79
            alancaster149posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Funny 'business' John!

1. Jodah profile image88

big_smile

1. Misbah786 profile image81
                Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

They're busy in stealing 24/7, so they should rename the category as "busyness" big_smile

1. Jodah profile image88

big_smile

smile

3. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The site that copied your content caused a false positive duplicate content moderation. Your article has been published and marked as original. You should file a DMCA complaint with the site that copied your content. Visit this link for instructions.

1. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
        Matt Wellsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

We are currently working on a fix and apologize for the inconvenience.

2. ControlledChaos1 profile image94

Thanks, this was the first time that's happened to me so fast. Sorry for bombarding you all with emails. I guess I was just a little freaked out that this site thought I plagiarized the article when I know I didn't. Thanks again.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image71
          Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Don, congratulations! Hubpages has righted things and apology.                                                  Yours is the original work. Keep on being original. It pays.

4. Miebakagh57 profile image71

Hey there., I've read the first paragraphe of your article. This part has compkex sentensec, though it can be understand.                                         Why not make it simple and plain compound in the first place, punctuation is also an issue. Thanks.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image71

Hey, sorry that your original work is copied and published somewhere else, via hubpages.                                        Hubpages owns you an explanation and an apology.                                        But I'm sorry that my first post though not for you, was mistakely found here.

ControlledChaos1posted 2 years ago

Since this article was clearly stolen, since it was never published, I wonder if I should try to edit the article more and re-submit it or just wait until someone responds to my emails. Any suggestions?

3. Misbah786 profile image81
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

It happened to me as well, as Linda mentioned above. If you're sending an email to the editors at HubPages, which, in my experience, never respond back, try sending it to team@hubpages.com. From there, it's mostly Matt who responds. In my case, they took three days to respond to my email, I believe the delay was  due to the weekend. Unfortunately, HP says they can't help in this regard, which means their filters can make mistakes; all we can do is send them an email every time this happens and they will publish back the article. Unfortunately this is the only option available. That site is very quick at stealing newly published articles which confuses the HP system.  I know and understand it's a very frustrating situation smile

Best Wishes and Blessings!!

I do appreciate the response. This is the first time I've had one stolen that fast, and just got a little flustered that people may think I completely ripped off someone else's article.

I'll wait a day or so since I sent emails today before trying the one you mention. I'm confident, they'll realize the mistake since all they have to do is look at the dates the articles were published on. Thanks again.

No problem. It's a pleasure to help you. smile

This is what Matt replied to me on forums:

https://hubpages.com/forum/post/4231267

4. CYong74 profile image97
    CYong74posted 2 years ago

I have something to share. I don’t know whether this is relevant.

About 3 years ago, I had a really nasty content theft incident with Quora. A member posted the entirety of one of my best hubs, pictures included, as an extended answer to a popular question. At the end of his answer, he also attributed the content to me and added a link to my hub.

I filed a DMCA with Quora and they removed the answer. However, days later, the member kicked up a huge sh*tstorm, invoking all sorts of American legal rights and stating he wasn’t stealing content, because he has attributed ownership. He also claimed what he’s doing is commonplace.

Quora then reinstated his answer. I wrote thrice to them but received no reply. In the end, I filed a DMCA with Google and managed to get them to delist. A couple of weeks later, Quora finally removed the infringing answer for good.

I’m highlighting this because I notice ac peo . com doing the same. He/she is hiding behind this attribution business for some of the thefts by printing the copyright statement and even a backlink. Of course, there is a slight chance that the person isn’t aware doing so is still theft, though unlikely IMO. Anyhow, this person might be getting away with it because of this.

Regardless, I think those whose content has been stolen should file a DMCA with the host. The domain looks to be hosted by Hostinger GB. Their policy is at: https://www.hostinger.com/trademark-cop … fringement

And the email to write to is: abuse@hostinger.com

Failing which, you should just do a Google DMCA. ac peo . com is ads enabled. At least hit it where it will hurt for a while.

Thank you so much for sharing that, CYong. smile
      Blessings always!

Thanks for the info.

5. Dean Traylor profile image97
    Dean Traylorposted 2 years ago

Happen to check out the website using the link you provided. It turns out that a  lot of people had their articles stolen by this individual within one month. Nearly every article I checked on this Gourmet Pro writer's page originally came from Hubpages. And by the looks of things, he (or she) has been very busy snatching up current articles in that time frame (well over a 100). I believe the culprit is a "member" who may have joined a month ago and has been grabbing as many hubs from the homepage (where an article can be posted despite not being officially published) and placing them on this site.  Anyone reading this, I suggest you check the site to see if they got your hub (Perrya and Matt Bird were two writers this person snatched).

HubPages needs to tighten the website's door locks; they are allowing anyone to enter and enjoy the site. There must be some kind of entry test to determine whether or not the person entering their website is eligible. Second, if the person does not post an article within a few days, he or she will be banned from the site. What is the point of having so many extra members? Of course, the person who steals articles and posts them as is, is ofcourse incapable of writing his or her own. I'm sick of it. It's not just about filing DMCA. HP must also work on their system. This is not the proper way.

2. Misbah786 profile image81

The person has stolen an unlimited number of hubs, and I have personally emailed three HP writers to inform them that their works are being stolen by that website.

3. ControlledChaos1 profile image94

That would explain how they got my article when it wasn't even given the OK to be featured yet.

6. Jodah profile image88
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

For anyone interested, I contacted the host of the offending site. This is their reply:

Hostinger Abuse <abuse-tracker@hostinger.com>
    2:37 PM (22 minutes ago)
    to me

Hi,

In order to terminate this infringing website, we require further proof of infringing material. We take these matters very seriously, so be sure to provide as much information. Please refer to this URL https://www.hostinger.com/trademark-cop … fringement (Point B)
    Thank you for your cooperation!

Hostinger Abuse Department
    abuse@hostinger.com

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)