jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)

why http://hubpages.com why not http://www.hubpages.com

1. NewYorker profile image62
    NewYorkerposted 7 years ago

Wow.. That's an incredibly dumb question, sorry.. It's the same thing, whether you do the www or not, you end up at the same place.

1. james0211 profile image60
      james0211posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. NewYorker profile image62
        NewYorkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

God, you're hardcore.

2. skyfire profile image75
    skyfireposted 7 years ago

Not a dumb question. It's about 301 redirects which many people don't get it.

3. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 7 years ago

When you set up a website you have to decide if you want the www to appear in the url or not, one reason being that you want the appearance of your pages in Google search to be consistent.

4. skyfire profile image75
    skyfireposted 7 years ago

James, search for 301 redirects on google. You'll see ow it works. If you have your own site hosted on some host you'll see 301 redirect setting in your control panel where you can set manually whether to allow only www or allow both.

Deleted

1. skyfire profile image75
        skyfireposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is not error. Hubpages staff set the 301 redirect "without www". So that is why we get redirected, maybe HP staff think of it as SEO benefit(i'm not sure about this).

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

It doesn't matter, you get to the same place.

3. sunforged profile image76
      sunforgedposted 7 years ago

www. is kind of redundant

4. Peter Hoggan profile image74
      Peter Hogganposted 7 years ago

james0211, hubpages.com is the actual domain, www.hubpages.com is technically a sub-domain of hubpages.com. Either could be used or even uk.hubpages.com if hubpages wanted to regionalise.

The point is, hubpages have elected to use the non www version and have used a 301 redirect to ensure that PageRank and anchor text of inbound links that point to the www version for example are redirected to the non www version.

1. thisisoli profile image73
        thisisoliposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Perfect answer!

There is no reason to be rude about it though, this is the place for people to ask for help and information.

5. wrenfrost56 profile image83
      wrenfrost56posted 7 years ago

I don't think it's a dumb question, I wondered it myself. Thanks for the info. smile

Deleted

2. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 7 years ago

Good question. Unfortunately I am just a Buddhist poet/musician and no nothing of this.

3. yoshi97 profile image72
        yoshi97posted 7 years ago

The non-www version is an alias of the other. By allowing the non-www version to have precedence, all of the links appear the same in the address bar, which leads to uniformity. Also, it saves 3 letters in the adress line and the www part is redundant.

I did the same thing with my blog. smile

4. profile image0
        B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 7 years ago

yeah, what Yoshi said....

working