Should We Be Using Contractions as Much as Possible?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 15 months ago

I'm, you've, they're, we're, it'll etc?
    Could it have an advantage as regards Google seeing the content as being more natural?

1. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 15 months agoin reply to this

As a reader, I am turned off by contractions in writing.  To me, it looks very childish or like someone who does not know how to write.

Edit:  I would not read anything more by that writer which defeats the whole purpose of writing on HubPages where the goal is to build an audience.

eugbugposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Hmm, I find when contractions aren't used, text is awkward to read.

Crap, I've used "aren't" and "I've"!

It is not acceptable.

2. bravewarrior profile image88
          bravewarriorposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Eugene. We speak in contractions. The written word should sound natural, not stilted.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I think it makes sense to just use them naturally for the tone you are going for.  Any deliberate choice to goose the browser algorithm might work for a while, but eventually they fine tune it to look for genuine content.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I have a client that uses them for some topics based on their audience. These are major websites. What does HP say about them?

The only mention of contractions here is the difference between "its" and "it's".

https://hubpageshelp.com/standards/HubP … tyle-Guide

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
          Kenna McHughposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I write for a prominent content company. They encourage contractions. So I go with that.

2. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 15 months ago

Grammarly says they shouldn't be used in formal writing such as academic papers or research reports, but that doesn't really cover content written here, does it?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
      PaulGoodman67posted 15 months agoin reply to this

Tone is important here. I would be wary of using casual language and colloquialisms when writing about a topic of import. It can look bad.

We're not as formal as academic papers, but more formal than many other everyday styles.

Contractions don't always make the language easier to read either. They can make for harder work.

Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, for instance, can be hard work because of all the contractions he uses to express dialect. Here's an example:

"Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one.”

I think standard, formal English is easy by comparison. Too many apostrophes can be offputting and mess with the flow.

1. Justine Guiao profile image92
        Justine Guiaoposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I agree with all of your points. It does depend on the topic and tone of the article.

As a general rule when I write, I try to use contractions in a balance way. Not too much, but I do use them. As previously mentioned, not using enough amount of contractions could make the article sound too formal and for readers who are searching for a certain answer to their quiry, it could be painstaking. On the other hand, too much contractions could make the article sound informal which could affect the trustworthiness of the article.

As per the question tho, I'm not sure if  or how they are affecting Google traffic l.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 15 months ago

I wouldn't've thought so! wink

Google isn't that sophisticated, it doesn't understand social contexts.

Grammarly is talking about writing conventions.

4. Zola Mars profile image91
    Zola Marsposted 15 months ago

I use them sparingly. If we are too formal and not conversational enough it sounds pompous. Maintaining a balance between being relatable and sounding intelligent is my goal.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I agree with you. In my writing classes in college (I have a BA and an MA in journalism) we were taught to write like we speak. The exception, of course, was academic papers and formal writing. To write like I speak, huh, I would never say, "I have decided that I shall go to town." But even writing like we speak can get too folksy, so I think we have to exercise caution in so doing.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 15 months ago

I don't think we are talking about contractions to communicate dialect here.

We are talking about the way I used "don't" in the previous sentence.  If I had used "do not" most people would have read the sentence to have a more hostile tone than is actually the case.

The old rule of never using contractions in "proper" communication applies to the United Kingdom many years ago. These days it just makes you sound like the late Queen - which is rarely the tone people are going for.

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 15 months ago

I think that people are wondering off point.

The question was whether using more contractions helps with search engine ranking.

The answer to that question is no. Google is nowhere near that sophisticated.

Google measures reader reaction in very crude ways and doesn't understand any of the subtleties of the English language. Just being able to count the number of keywords in a piece of text was a major leap forward for the Big G.

In my opinion, adding in a few "don'ts" and "wouldn'ts" won't make any difference to ranking, but you're welcome to try! big_smile

1. bravewarrior profile image88

I found this on Google's developers website regarding contractions:

https://developers.google.com/style/contractions

They recommend using most types of contractions to create an informal tone. However, there are some exceptions as you'll discover in this short article.

I do that thing with "is not" sometimes and underline the "not" if it's really important. I don't think I have ever used those double contractions.

1. bravewarrior profile image88

Eugene, "isn't" is perfectly acceptable. If you feel the need to spell out what would normally be contracted in the way you mention, kinda comes off as assuming the reader doesn't get what you are conveying.

If you read the article, using verb contractions are acceptable and recommended. It's combining nouns with verbs that is not.

In normal conversation, "is not" is most often used when trying to prove a point in an argument and the phrase is stated in conversational bold, if you get my drift . Write to your readers as you would as if you are having a conversation with them. Especially with the technical voice of the topics of which you write. Talk in layman's terms and you'll gain more views.

Yes, that's pretty much what I do, writing in Plain English (or is it plain languish or Easy English?). In any case, I try to avoid "big words" and explain jargon if necessary.

7. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 15 months ago

They work quite well when writing poetry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)