Article Moved Back to Discover From Dengarden

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 11 months ago

It was published 12 years ago and has had seven edits by editors over the years. Possibly it has been moved because of low traffic or not enough content. Some reasons suggested were:

long walls of text
        non-evergreen content
        photos that are too small (<700px wide)
        photos without captions

However none of these apply. I've asked for clarification from the team.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image91
      Kenna McHughposted 11 months agoin reply to this

These forum emails mean nothing. They are a waste of time and effort. AI is seeping into HP's thought processes!

2. TheShadowSpecter profile image85
      TheShadowSpecterposted 11 months agoin reply to this

I received an e-mail from HubPages that one of my articles was running the risk of being moved back from a niche site (SoapBoxie) to Discover HubPages unless I made some updates in the article.  I did so accordingly, and they went ahead and allowed for my article to remain undisturbed.  Unfortunately, I do not always get a warning to that effect ahead of time.  Usually they just move an article from a niche site back to Discover HubPages without warning.  What am I to do?  They call the shots.

3. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I've had several articles moved back to Discover recently. What's ironic is my views are way up (I know some of them are editors doing their thing), but my earnings for this month have doubled from what I typically receive. So, I'm not complaining. Perhaps the move to an arena that isn't littered with ads is proving to be beneficial. According to my GA report as of this morning, users are up 66.6%, sessions are up 64.3%, bounce rate a mere 2.2%, and session duration is up 32.5%.

As I said, I'm not complaining. The proof is in the pudding!

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
        chef-de-jourposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Bizarre but logical. Fewer ads = more satisfied readers. Keep us updated on this please...you never know.... TAG might be interested in this radical idea, moving away from niche sites ...for additional profits!!!

2. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Less is more with ads for sure. Out of curiosity, do you have stats on what your bounce rate used to be when it was on the niche site?

1. bravewarrior profile image87
          bravewarriorposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I'm not looking at specific articles, but the overall changes. Ninety days ago my bounce rate was up 25.8%. As of today (5/28/23) it's only up by 1.6%. Views are still way up both as reported by GA and My Article Statistics. Earnings for May have more than doubled over April's stats. Over the last month I've had 1 article moved from TurboFuture back to Discover, 1 from Spinditty, and 1 from DenGarden.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Quite interesting.

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 11 months ago

The same has happened to me as well. I just had notification about one of my higher rated hubs (10 years old) being moved from Dengarden back to Discover. Exactly the same message/reasons given to you. It looks like Dengarden is being overhauled.

3. eugbug profile image96

The editors are at it at the moment according to GA.

4. eugbug profile image96

So an editor has got back to me and the reason it was moved back was because it was not getting any traffic, well just a couple of views per month. I wonder what the threshold number of views is per month? I think I'll move it to my publication on Medium, it might earn more there.

1. TheShadowSpecter profile image85
      TheShadowSpecterposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I thought about signing up for Medium.  However, my question is whether I would have to pay anything to publish on Medium, because I'm looking for an arrangement where I make money without having to expend a lot of money.

1. melbel profile image93
        melbelposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Don't people have to pay to view "premium" content on Medium?

1. TheShadowSpecter profile image85
          TheShadowSpecterposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I vaguely recall someone telling me that Medium is not a completely free writing platform for writers and content creators, but I don't know exactly what they charge money for.  I guess I could go to that site and read their guidelines and so forth.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Hey there, how is everyone doing smile

I guess if an article was only getting a couple views a month removing it from Dengarden would be a good thing to do IF it was low quality OR if there is a similar article getting slightly more views there.

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
        chef-de-jourposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Good to know you're still around!

You could say we're struggling on despite the setbacks and confusion and controversies over ad placements and low status of the niche sites since TAG took over. Prognosis? Anyone's guess. At the moment we're heading downwards rapidly but will probably level out before hitting rock bottom. The editors have been really busy updating niche sites, and a new video has been introduced but to me this is mere window dressing.

How's it going for you?

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Yup still around. Just finished writing my thesis, so got some time on my hands again. My traffic seems quite stable, low but stable haha. Nothing like what it was two years ago when I was more active.

5. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 11 months ago

I think the threshold is around 12 views a month. Doesn't make much sense though. I've had articles "perform badly" and then someone posts it on a Facebook group or MSN likes it and suddenly you are into hundreds of views a day. The popularity doesn't last long but you never know which article it's going to hit.

eugbugposted 11 months agoin reply to this

They say:

"It is incredibly important to the health of our Network Sites that all articles are high quality and receive organic search traffic".

I can understand how total traffic would be important as regards attracting advertisers, but I don't understand how lack of traffic to individual articles would be a problem.

I don't think they know either.

eugbugposted 11 months agoin reply to this

If an article is moved to Discover, the network site it was moved from then gets potentially less views. So am I missing something here? Does Google keep a tally of webpages on a site with no interaction and use it as a ranking factor for the whole site?

Good question. I am sure they have bullet points for the editors. I'd love to see them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)