Low CPM

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Justine Guiao profile image93
    Justine Guiaoposted 9 months ago

I think, I read it somewhere in the forum before but I forgot about it or might not be the main topic of that forum. Anyway, can anyone explain the reason for low CPM values?

Thank you!

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 9 months ago

In general, CPMs are about how much HP can get advertisers to pay for ads.

CPMs are also seasonal to some extent, so they tend to go up at Xmas and down in the Summer.

The CPM varies according to the subject matter with some keywords being more lucrative for  advertisers than others.

The daily CPM for your individual account is an average figure for all your articles, which can be a cause of fluctuations.

The main general reason that CPMs are generally historically low right now, I would speculate, is due to a lack of interest from advertisers.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 9 months ago

I should add that it's difficult/impossible to know how much interference, if any, there is from HP regarding CPMs.

When things go bad for these sites, there's a temptation to cut earning rates to save money. That's what's happening over at Medium right now, in my opinion. The risk of that approach is that it can cause a "death spiral" where the good writers leave or stop writing and things then get even worse.

HP is in a stronger position than most sites in that it's part of a larger grouping. That means it's better placed to weather a bad period.

It's impossible to know what's happening behind the scenes.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image93
      Kenna McHughposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Paul, good points. But I think it is possible to know what's happening behind the scenes IF ONLY HP IS WILLING TO BE TRANSPARENT.

2. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 9 months agoin reply to this

As far as I can ascertain from graphing stats using an Excel spreadsheet as source data, we're still getting impressions that are 60% of page views. So we earn per page impression. The question of course is what HP is earning per article when there's lots of ads. I counted 37 on one article which seemed to be the limit, before no more were served as I scrolled down near the bottom. They could be raking it in on that article. If I turned off ads, they'd make nothing. Currently we can have ads or no ads on articles. I think it's worth trialing a third option we could choose: No ads but suggest a donation. I think this would work well on help and "how to"/troubleshooting guides where a reader would reward the author if they had their problem solved. If I had earned a dollar from even 1% of the readers of my troubleshooting guides, I would have made a tidy sum by now.

Eugene, I hear you. Dono sites work well for some based on the subject. But my main concern is that HP tells us nothing. So writers spend time trying to figure out what is happening. Even if HP said, we are not telling you anything. That would be something. Speculating doesn't solve the problem.

We need facts. Something like: We have a million writers, and 35% of those hit three digits each payout. Or we have 25 new writers every month 10% of those remain.

1. eugbug profile image96

Maybe TAG have them gagged or HP has even been absorbed into TAG by now and is no longer a distinct entity, just a legacy brand. That woudl explain why we don't hear anything since remaining staff just handle the administration of content and technical maintenance. TAG just ignore people on socials.

Truthfully, we don't know.

It's probably not unusual though. Companies frequently keep employees in the dark (although I know we're not employeesl)

Yes. We are not employees. But still, it seemed in the past; HP was more forthcoming.

2. eugbug profile image96

A million writers? And only a few of us are vocal.

I don't know how many writers. My mother always said I had quite an imagination.

Maybe a 100,000 or 10,000? The figure is published somewhere on the site.

Yes. It probably is published somewhere. Here is a thread from nine years ago that offers a good estimate: https://hubpages.com/community/forum/30 … n-hubpages

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
                PaulGoodman67posted 9 months agoin reply to this

"only a few of us are vocal"

I suspect that many have drifted away or don't publish much.

It's notable that when you go to the HP signout page where they highlight various articles and writers, only one writer is still active on the site according to their activity record (Linda Crampton/AliciaC).

It's really not a good look when the writers that HP highlights on that page no longer appear interested in participating. I'm pretty sure that some/many of them haven't written here for years.

3. eugbug profile image96

https://hubstatic.com/16673872_f1024.jpg

If you do the math, roughly 18 articles per published user. That is not impressive.

3. Justine Guiao profile image93
      Justine Guiaoposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for this explanation, Paul!

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
        PaulGoodman67posted 9 months agoin reply to this

You're welcome! I've tried to boil it down to the essentials.

Some people wrongly see the CPM for their account as more absolute than it is. I have multiple accounts and the variance between them can be huge.

That said, the overall trend has definitely been downwards in recent times.

4. Palmershady profile image43
    Palmershadyposted 9 months ago

I appreciate the comments so far. Bringing my opinion on the subject matter seems to me like saying a cup of water is half-filled when others say it's half-empty.

Palmer, I don't see any half fills in this thread.

1. Palmershady profile image43
        Palmershadyposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Kenna, one cup that is half filled  here is the CPM rate not explained. On the hand, the same cup is half emptied ( reason for low CPM not also explained).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)