First article published and featured

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Leeburrows profile image77
    Leeburrowsposted 8 months ago

Hi everyone, I'm glad to say one of my articles has been published and featured. After two failed attempts on different topics, I started fresh and familiarised myself with the hubpages site, spent a few hours reading the forum questions and answers here which I found most useful when it came to constructing my third article. It took some getting used to the layout and design but I think I've gotten the hang of it, sort of!

Now I can't wait to write my next article, my main question is, should I continue writing similar content and follow the same lines as this until I feel more comfortable to branch out onto different topics? Or will my profile benefit from having a range of different topics? I mostly want to develop a portfolio here and showcase my work, but I'd like to know if there are any improvements or specific path I should follow, any tips or suggestions welcome, here's a link to my first article:
    https://discover.hubpages.com/travel/pl … ardiffvale

Thanks!

1. Justine Guiao profile image93
      Justine Guiaoposted 8 months agoin reply to this

First of, congratulations for such milestone. It really does fell great when our first article gets published anf featured.

As per your questions, I think, you are the one who can answer those questions. I might be unsure of the possible answers but you already know fror sure.

Leeburrowsposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Thanks Justine! It is a great feeling and a big motivation to keep writing, I think I will stick to similar topics but looking forward to keeping options open and maybe writing about something a bit different as well. Thanks for the advice!

2. WriterJanis profile image92
      WriterJanisposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations! What a great feeling.
      Just write what feels good to you. Some writers here stick to certain topics while others branch out all over. It's whatever you feel comfortable with.

Thanks Janis! Yes a great feeling and to finally get the hang of things on this site! That seems to be the best advice from what you and others have mentioned, good to know it is personal choice and not a better idea to do one or the other, I will likely stick to a niche but branch out once and a while, or see how it goes over the next few months!

3. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 8 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations! The chose is yours. Stick to a specific niche for a few months. Then...

Thanks!! That seems like the best idea that everyone has agreed, I think I'll do just that!

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68

You're welcome.

4. Pollyanna Jones profile image96
      Pollyanna Jonesposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations! It's an exciting time for you for certain, and a big learning opportunity. Plenty of guides in here and people to try to help. It's a great community.

As for topics, write what you enjoy and don't worry too much about sticking to a niche. HubPages will pick out much of your work anyway and place it in their niche sites. So it gets sorted into the correct place that way.

Thanks Pollyanna that's much appreciated! I am very excited to get started and definitely learning a lot from others here, I really enjoyed your articles around Wales! Very inspiring and well written, I'll be sure to take your advice on board and hopefully shouldn't be a problem figuring out what to write about next!

5. Pari bilal profile image26
      Pari bilalposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Congratulations! I am familiar with the feeling of excitement because I just checked and my first article is also published.

Thanks Pari, that's great news! Yes it's a great feeling! I hope we can both continue to publish articles here with success.

1. Pari bilal profile image26
          Pari bilalposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Agreed. Good luck. I am anxious to see more well-featured articles from your side.

6. Amara Hassan profile image88
      Amara Hassanposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Congrats Leeburrows. Happy for you, and I wish you luck. Welcome to HubPages. :-)

Thanks Amara! That is kind of you, much appreciated.

7. Jan Stepan profile image93
      Jan Stepanposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Lovely! Big congratulations! It's a great start, and now you know what's required of you to get your articles published.

Regarding the topics you write about – it doesn't matter as long as you write about the things you have a lot of knowledge about. Credibility is essential in building a solid reader base and being viewed as a relevant source of information.

Best of luck!
      More milestones are waiting for you if you keep up the fine work.

Leeburrowsposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Thanks Jan! It does feel much better now I know a bit more about how to write for HP. I'm learning a lot from the featured articles already on the platform and realised straight away some of the mistakes I made, regarding the layout etc, I'm hoping I can build credibility over time here, it's something I've found difficult to get off the ground when building my own website!

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement, it's much appreciated.

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 8 months ago

Congratulations, Lee.

Those places are practically on our doorstep smile I like your photos.

It's up to you what you do next. Follow your interests and see what garners the most attention.

Good luck.

Thanks!! I'm glad you like the photos, that's something I've no shortage of from years of exploring with a camera!

Great advice, I think I will do just that and see how it goes, and that is surprising to hear, we're pretty much neighbours then. Haha!

3. Bills Place profile image85
    Bills Placeposted 8 months ago

Congradulations!

As others have said, the option is 100% on the writer of course. I started out with the Spray and Pray method, then saw what stuck and went from there. However, the downside to this method is that trends change over time so what brought in tons of traffic in 2012, doesn't bring in any traffic now.

If you're like me and get bored writing about the same topic for long periods, my newest approach could be interesting for you. I picked a few niches based partly on what I find interesting, and what has a growing trend. Next, I planned out a list of topic ideas to turn it into a "series".

I've started my Fundraising How To series already, and have started putting together ideas for other niche series. smile

Thanks Bill, that's great to hear your thoughts, considering you've been writing here for a long time I very much value your opinion!

That's a really good idea to follow a series, I've thought about doing that and sort of following the same concept as my last article in another one I've just written, so I hope that also gets published/featured.

Looks like I've got much to learn, and plenty of writing to do which I can't wait for!

I love your fundraiser series of articles, after a quick scan through its given me some great inspiration. I will have to keep a look out on your page in the future.

Thanks again! Best wishes.

Lee, you're on course.

4. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 8 months ago

I enjoyed reading your article very much. My family lived in Cardiff (specifically in Rhiwbina) when my father got a new job in Canada when I was fourteen. I recognized some of the sites that you described in your article, but the others were new to me. I was glad to learn about them.

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Did you? That's amazing... just a few minutes from my mother's in Whitchurch.

1. AliciaC profile image93
        AliciaCposted 8 months agoin reply to this

We went to Whitchurch at times!

2. Leeburrows profile image77

Thanks Alicia, I'm really glad you enjoyed the article, and that's nice to hear! I also have some family in Rhiwbina, sounds like a big change moving from there to Canada! I've always lived around and Cardiff and the Vale, it's quite surprising how many of these areas are not very well known. I'm glad the ones you're familiar with could bring back some memories!

1. Amara Hassan profile image88
        Amara Hassanposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I just checked your articles, and as Alicia said, they are good and photos are beautiful.

And as far as niche is concerned, its always a good idea to find niche, but you can write about anything or everything here on HP.

Your high quality articles will be moved to their respective niche sites by HP. I also write about diverse topics. So enjoy writing, and best of luck. I hope it will be helpful.

5. paolaenergya profile image92
    paolaenergyaposted 7 months ago

Hi Lee, I loved your hub about foraging, of course I am biased because I am a forager, too! The most wonderful time of the year is approaching and, no, it's not Christmas but mushroom season! If you fancy writing about it, you can publish a guide about mushrooms that you can find in the autumn months, of course giving the customary safety guidelines. Keep up the good work!

Miebakagh57posted 7 months agoin reply to this

Mushrooms? Delicious stuffs indeed. I'll like to read the guide myself. Thanks.

1. paolaenergya profile image92
        paolaenergyaposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Right? Lee, you already have a captive audience, we are ready!

6. Leeburrows profile image77
    Leeburrowsposted 7 months ago

Thanks all!

It's very encouraging to keep writing here, seeing how helpful the community is, and being able to improve over time by learning from others is what makes this site more useful than similar platforms for me. It's often difficult to improve in anything without a community and some guidance. I appreciate the feedback and all suggestions. Can't wait to get stuck in!

7. Leeburrows profile image77
    Leeburrowsposted 7 months ago

Paolaenergya, great idea. I could definitely write a few articles about mushrooms, I've been thinking about one for Autumn, it's been a great year so far and I've got no shortage of fungi photos!

I'm not sure which category to write it for. Do you think I should keep it food based, educational, or place it in hobbies? Thanks again for the helpful feedback!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Do them all! There're at least three articles right there.

Thanks great idea! I've just had one featured in Education and Science, very happy with that and unexpected on my first submission! It's probably the area I feel most comfortable writing, so I'll continue with a few more about fungi over the next few weeks!

8. paolaenergya profile image92

Hi Lee, I would probably start by searching the most frequently asked questions on Google about wild mushrooms and take it from there, plenty of material to write about! We'll be reading it for sure!

Thanks! Searching questions/answers on Google was a big help when writing my last article. There was a few things that skipped my mind, good to see the top questions and work from them. I've just published one about fungi but I'm hoping to do a few more, the next maybe focusing on edible mushrooms!

1. paolaenergya profile image92
        paolaenergyaposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Looking forward to reading your next article about mushrooms! Happy to contribute a quote if it helps, maybe recipe suggestions?

Thanks Paola! That sounds great, especially recipe suggestions which are always helpful. I'll have to read up and figure out the best way to format recipe lists on here, that's something I was wondering!

9. paolaenergya profile image92

Ok! In the meantime you can look at Delishably about formatting. I have included recipe suggestions in articles before without going too much into detail, see what works best for you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)