Edited Articles

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (37 posts)
  1. wpcooper profile image90
    wpcooperposted 4 months ago

Wow.  I think I am sorely disappointed. I went back and looked at my article that I originally published four or five years ago here.  The changes that were made affected the entire tone of my original piece.  vocabularly edits, cutting down sentences, they totally tore apart my style.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Are they using an AI editor?  It seems like they made it into something that sounds like it might be so.

oh my

1. WriterJanis profile image93
      WriterJanisposted 3 months agoin reply to this

To my knowledge, there is no AI editing.

2. Jan Stepan profile image93
      Jan Stepanposted 3 months agoin reply to this

I am more than convinced there's no AI involved in the editing process. After all, Hubpages doesn't allow AI. I am sorry to hear you're not pleased with the changes.

In my case, I am generally happy with most of the edits made to my articles, but there are editors I agree with more than others.

3. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Professional editors do all the editing. AI is never used.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
        Miebakagh57posted 3 months agoin reply to this

That's great!

4. Gracchus Gruad profile image89
      Gracchus Gruadposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I agree. I just looked at one that I wrote that discussed work by directors, looking at their entire body of work. It had been changed to focus on one specific movie by each. If they wanted to make that article I feel like they should have just written it, but that's not the article I wrote. It actually undercut the entire point I was making.

Miebakagh57posted 2 months agoin reply to this

So this seems very puzzling to the mind.                                           It has been talked about that in such casdr, editors should contact the author and get they consent before making such total changes.                                        I'm sorry for the torn, thorn, and tone it cause.

2. wpcooper profile image90
        wpcooperposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yes they're a deviation stylistically and with content that I've observed. Sometimes the entire tone of the article is affected

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I've only had one heavily edited article, and the editor coordinated with me on the process. I thought she did a good job, though she communicated her stress about ensuring the article was without mistakes. I enjoyed working with her. I wish I could remember her name. It was at least over three years ago.

That must be Samartha Cubbison, I presume. Now gone from hubpages.

6. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yup!  The "editing" that is done on my articles is so awful, that I have to revert all of the changes.  It's infuriating.  Not only do they get the facts wrong, but they do stupid things like removing the italics from Latin names of plants.  Or posting photos of the wrong plants.  I even had one editor demand that I include information on a plant that was completely unrelated to the one I was discussing just because the common name was similar.  I just let them demote my articles from the niche sites to HubPages now.  I'm tired of fighting with them.  We are expected to respect the editors because they are so knowledgeable, but none of them respects the fact that I am a professional horticulturist with specialized knowledge.

1. paolaenergya profile image92
        paolaenergyaposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Professional horticulturist = immediate follow from me!

1. OldRoses profile image94

Thanks for the follow but I haven't published anything new here for a while.  My style doesn't fit with the style they want for the niche sites.  I'm old and cranky and refuse to change the way I present material.  I teach horticulture so I know what information beginners need to successfully grow plants.

1. paolaenergya profile image92
            paolaenergyaposted 2 months agoin reply to this

That's such a shame, after publishing more than 300 articles... but I totally understand how you are feeling.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
              PaulGoodman67posted 2 months agoin reply to this

The original idea for the site was everyday folk imparting their wisdom. We could write what we wanted and there wasn't an editor in sight.

As time has passed, the site has moved further and further away from that original vision. To be fair, the changes have mainly been driven by Google. HP has had little choice but to react.

I think most of us miss the freedom that we once had, though, and one's sense of ownership just isn't the same when articles are reworked by someone else.

When I joined HP, the internet was still very much the Wild West. It's a very different place nowadays. Here at HP, we have to abide by numerous restrictions to stand any chance of success. It's like Goldilocks, the article can't be too long or too short, the images can't be too small or too big, virtually every aspect has to be just right...

I say that as an observation, I don't know what, if anything, can be done about it.

I agree with you, Paul Goodman.                                   But an editor editing an entire article, should do so with the topic of the author in mind.                                             Other than that, it frustates and pained the mind of the author(s).

I think one issue is that because search engines are constantly updating, regular editing is needed.

When editors come in, they are often unfamiliar with the subject area (they can't be expected to be experts on everything) and this has led to factual errors in some cases.

This used to happen to me. I would get comments from readers pointing out glaring errors made by editors. It could still be happening to me now but I wouldn't know because the comments are broken.

I'm not saying that it happened a lot but I understand OldRoses' upset.

A year or two ago, I said something to the effect that editors should specialized in a subject, or core area.                                                 This can enable them to leverage well in their area.                                    Is this being done at hubpages? I think not.

2. Solaras profile image95
            Solarasposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Where are you writing now? Medium?

1. OldRoses profile image94

I'm writing about politics on Medium and Substack.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92

How frustrating!!! Editors and staff need some recourse in place.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69

That's awful or terrible.

4. wpcooper profile image90
        wpcooperposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yes sometimes the article is written in a way on purpose. It may not be editorially acceptable but it is a work of art in itself. I've had things removed because they might be offensive to some but are actually very innocuous. I've had other references removed and such

Kenna McHughposted 2 months ago

Your guess is better than mine. She lives in Seattle, Washington. I can remember where she lives but not her name. big_smile

Kenna, the Samantha Cubbison I had in mind lives Oakland, California.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Okay. It must have been someone else editing my work.

I believe that Samantha's role was dealing with the HP community, I don't think she was an editor.

Perhaps like a laison officer? Or like Matt Wells?                                  Don't the later ever edited articles, even if it were not his specific function? Seems all hubpages editors got their input from Matt?

That's right.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 2 months ago

That's great.

4. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 2 months ago

It happened to one of mine.  I have a naive question -- what is "AI editor"?

1. WriterJanis profile image93
      WriterJanisposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Basically artificial intelligence versus a real person.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 2 months ago

I read somewhere else an actor-influecer,an oscar winner, torn to piece, an AI edited or generated speech half way during a function.                                                 Many mwadays aqe getting the gist to do away with AI.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)