After 4 years I am done.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Doc Andersen profile image81
    Doc Andersenposted 8 weeks ago

I can understand the evolution of editorial standards. In the past 4 years, I've had 9 articles that were not deemed acceptable.
    I get that.
    But I've had published articles and then the ratings change.
    I've had articles that I've put in other forums and they are read by 1000s.

I am done.

The changes in payment make Hubpages a mess.

The site has declined in efficacy and value over the last four years.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

Many here are aware of the challenge, and have expressed they views in a positive frame of mind.                                                 Yes, the site's in decline. But Hubpages' here to stay.

Doc Andersenposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

well my stuff will stay here but my new stuff will be elsewhere.

2. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

I feel you, Doc. A lot of us are hanging on by a thread. I've been here for 11 years. I understand that standards change, but coupled with everything else, it doesn't feel worth the trouble anymore.

I recently received a long email about why my article has been demoted from a network site and back to Discover, detailing all the things I need to do to get it back to standard. All I could do is sigh and SMH. It's not worth the few pennies a day I'll receive for my work. I don't disagree that it could use some editing, but the incentive is no longer there.

I wish you luck, prosperity in your writing, and peace of mind.

It is truly sad, but we move on. THnak you and the best to you as well!

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

I reviewed the articles. Regrettably, they are at HP standard. You're doing better elsewhere. I don't blame you for leaving. I would do the same.
      With that, I have observed that writers are doing well on HP. If they say they are doing well and post the fact, people knock them down, saying it's only temporary, and if HP doesn't change...blah, blah.
      Also, one writer said they were a lazy writer at HP for a long time making money. Now, they are not making money and have to work at it.
      I find that interesting because Paul E. used to post the words, "Work hard because it's not easy making money here."

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92

I meant to say they are not at HP standard. Sorry for the confusion.

Let me put this simply to help you in the future.
          1. its you not me, is NEVER an argument to use, you did just do that by saying the article wasn't up to HP standards. Even though it was rated at the SAME level as more than 10 other articles. So, frankly i would say that isn't fair and isn't true.
          2. it is so hard to communicate with Hubpages. That, is just beyond frustrating.

A wise person once said be careful who you poke.

1. greenmind profile image95
            greenmindposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes very frustrating. However I read many of your articles and there are several small glitches that an editor could easily fix in one or two passes. Have to agree with Kenna that overall article quality may be an issue.

I also noticed that relatively few of your articles are on a Network ("Niche") site (a few are on LetterPile but that site apparently does not pay as well as some of the others). In my experience, having articles on HP Network sites like Owlcation and Dengarden means more views and more income.

That's explained well. Thank you.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
              PaulGoodman67posted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

Doc: In general terms, if you're going to start a thread in a public forum, then you will encounter differing views to your own. I don't agree with a lot of what Kenna espouses but I don't see her being disrespectful or "poking" you with her opinion.

That said, I agree your writing would need work to get into the niches, as Greenmind (and Kenna) wrote above.

HubPages is pretty clear about what they require. They lay down strict guidelines for almost every aspect of what they expect with articles. This wasn't always the case, things were pretty laissez-faire when I joined thirteen years ago, but it has certainly been the situation for a number of years.

For instance, stylistically, they recommend paragraphs of three sentences or less. This is because most readers now use their phones to read. Your paragraphs would need breaking up to meet the guidelines.

There are plenty of other strictures that you'd need to follow to stand a chance of success. Maybe HP just isn't the right fit for you.

Having said all that, even if you do follow all the guidelines, things are difficult nowadays. I also agree with Jan that pretty much everyone is doing badly here.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
                Miebakagh57posted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

Congratulations!  Perhaps on your blog or website?

2. Doc Andersen profile image81
                Doc Andersenposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

While i do understand your point your arrogance came through in your opening statement, as hers did in her opening statement.

I wish you the best, but honestly the arrogance and FAILURE to communicate effectivly is why i am gone.

3. Doc Andersen profile image81
              Doc Andersenposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

All is relative. Thank you for being a critic.

2. Doc Andersen profile image81

While I understand as a reviewer you have standards, i disagree in the application of those standards. I suspect that in the end, the application of those standards in what I would consider to be a hap hazard manner is part of the issue. The changes in the policies around views is another.

3. greenmind profile image95
        greenmindposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

All true, thank you.

You're welcome. big_smile

2. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 7 weeks ago

I have to agree with Paul.  Most of my work is published on LetterPile as I am a creative writer.  But I do recall with one article, I was sent a set bullet points that listed I must include "Sources".  Actually, it was rather humorous and boiler plate, and obviously Sources did not apply.  The "editor" couldn't have read the article to begin with.  Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Kenna McHughposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes. I sent a query to clarify, and the editor woke up and gave some good feedback. It ended up in a Network site, doing well.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 7 weeks ago

It's not helpful to level unfounded charges of arrogance at people who genuinely offered help. Nor is it a good idea to threaten people who "poke" you. Such comments only reflect badly on you and in leaving HubPages you will not be missed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)