Are HubPage users in decline?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (35 posts)
  1. CWanamaker profile image93
    CWanamakerposted 4 weeks ago

I just went through all people I have been following and purged the ones that have no articles and no activity. I am quite surprised to see how many people have left HubPages over the years and I wonder what made them leave in the first place. I understand the volatility of writing online but there will always be ups and downs in this industry. I believe that there is still significant earning potential here and see no reason to move my articles elsewhere.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes. Like any group, people have stayed and some have left. It happens. Yes. This industry has its ups and downs. Yes. There are spammers and scammers, which are common on the Internet in general. Yes. The ads are invasive. Yes. There is a significant earning potential here.

Especially with the Internet being so volatile.  I, too, see no reason to move my articles elsewhere. The forums have more negative posts than in the past, and the negative posts usually come from the same people.

2. alphagirl profile image75
      alphagirlposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I used to be on here more. I started back in 2013, then I opened a salon, got busy....now I am semi retired and wanted to see what was happening here. The ads are hugely a distraction to any reader. So I no longer come to read anymore. Infact I will unsubscribe to emails because of how the company had become a pop-up ad place and no longer a place to enjoy reading and connecting.

3. greenmind profile image95
      greenmindposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes traffic and CPMs are trending up for me lately. I know there must be others!

There are!!

2. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
        Gregory DeVictorposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes, I am very favorably impressed with how page views and earnings have been lately. No complaining here at all.

2. Brenda Arledge profile image79
    Brenda Arledgeposted 4 weeks ago

It's so difficult to stay here when they contantly cut up your work with ads placed everywhere.

My followers & friends no longer read my work...they give up the minute the ads pop up.

Not to mention, we can no longer talk with our Hubpages family as easily.

Many of us commuicate on other platforms like Facebook & messenger.

And lets face it...the pay is not too good either.

Yet, Ive made some long time friends here that I honestly don't want to leave.

So tell me...why do you stay.

CWanamakerposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for your observations.

I checked some of my top articles and they are riddled with ads; Indeed they are difficult to read. I see what you are saying. The sense of community here is also lost. I remember the good ol' days when there was a lot of interaction in the forums, hubs (through comments), and on the Q&A section which has been gone for years. I'm not big on social media as there's so much negativity.

Most of my articles get 2 or fewer views a day so it's disheartening to spend so much time on something only to get nothing in return.

However, I still make payout regularly from a handful of articles so I see no reason to move those articles

I guess I am wondering where everyone else has gone? Where are they writing now?

3. Brenda Arledge profile image79
    Brenda Arledgeposted 4 weeks ago

Many of us write on Medium.

There is a publication that a lot of us follow...
    The Hub Publication ...although it is not affiliated with Hubpages

Read stories from The Hub Publication on Medium: https://thehubpublication.com

I am onnthere too and occasionally post on the Hub...but I really enjoy being able to communicate with others again.

I am trying to do this over the forums currently on here, with my word prompt series.

But I'm not certain if its working yet.

CWanamakerposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for the information. I have long heard about Medium but am concerned about the subscription model. One of my challenges is being able to write consistently so I don't know if it would work for me. I also don't know many people willing to pay a subscription fee to read articles but maybe that's just me.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 weeks ago

People have always come and gone here.

However, I believe that there's been a precipitous drop in hubbers over the last few years (discounting all the spammers and scammers that regularly flood the site).

I think that there are numerous reasons for the fall in enthusiasm and participation, not least the decline in traffic and earnings.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 4 weeks ago

Seriously, the lack of commenting on fellowers stories is one major reason for the decline.                                        The other is the takeover of HubPages by The Arena Group (TAG). It cause a lose to what writers earn by their many ads.                                  Sub to the above points is the 60% earnings allocate to Hubpages authors which is no longer realised.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 weeks ago

I leave my hubs here and check in on them from time to time, but I am not motivated to make any new ones.  I think the change in management was the beginning of the end for Hubpages.

7. Titia profile image93
    Titiaposted 4 weeks ago

I do what psycheskinner does. Checking the existing hubs from time to time, but not updating them anymore, nor writing new hubs. Still reach payout every other month and that's fine by me.
    I check the forums a few times a week, but hardly participate. I can't/don't give advice to newbies, because English is not my native language.
    You're right, the sense of community is lost. I don't read many hubs by  fellow hubbers anymore,  because when I like what I read I want to tell the writer and that's not possible anymore. For me that's the greatest loss.

8. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 4 weeks ago

Hopefully, hubpages will rise again.

9. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 weeks ago

If I there was any sense of hope, I'd start writing again. I enjoy writing. It's just disillusioning when you publish more and views go down.

I remained optimistic here for some time. I kept writing up until last year because I assumed that this was just another temporary downturn. Now, I have my doubts.

I think the HP model has some very challenging problems for the situation that it now finds itself in.

10. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 weeks ago

Hubpages is likely a ship without a crew, with just an engine room and Matt and some skeleton staff to keep the ship moving. Probably no captain, but just a TAG admiral to bark orders.

Eugene, It's unfortunate that HP lacks transparency. With such a void, we can create all sorts of scenarios. As writers, we can come up with some doozies. Matt is the CEO and works from a side room of a kitchen in a restaurant his parents own. Once in a while, his little brother helps him determine where to place the ads. His uncle wrote an ebook on how to "Master Google in 29 Days," which guides Matt over the unforeseen obstacles of managing a community website of writers. When his sister needs to blow dry her hair, she unplugs the computer to plug in her blow dryer. Luckily, she hardly ever uses the side room at the restaurant. When she does, it screws up the HP platform and payments are delayed. During a rush, Matt has to leave his side room and pick up the slack, which causes payment to be pending.

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

That would be funny, if it wasn't so serious. It's inevitable that we concoct all sorts of fantasies when we don't know what's happening. I don't reckon it's far from the truth though that the site is in a state where it's just kept ticking over, which contrasts with years ago when there were lots of innovative changes to make things better.

I hear you, Eugene. It would be nice to know what is happening behind the scenes.

2. JerryFisher profile image92
        JerryFisherposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Hilarious!
        Matt hasn't had time to respond but probably up to his neck in the kitchen with dishes.

Yes! The restaurant business is doing well.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image96

Kenna, great analogy about the restaurant business! Matt is apparently alive and well because he promptly answered an email of mine earlier today.

Yeah!

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
          Miebakagh57posted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Matt will crawl out of his rabbit hole sooner or later.                                 Because what Kenna, said beats the mind. It's not just funny.

1. greenmind profile image95
            greenmindposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Matt's not a rabbit in a hole. He's just a dude with a tough, complicated job who probably works really hard. I don't envy him.

I agree. Matt is one busy dude.

2. eugbug profile image96
              eugbugposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Either do I. He has to listen to us moaning all the time too.

Plus, he has the job of answering a plethora of crazy emails everyday.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Yes, that's his opum.

Have you noticed that Matt is always prompt about answering emails? That must be a demanding job too, especially when there is some kind of glitch in the system.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Yes. But d' you think rabbits don't work hard? Cindi Lala is calling you.

11. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 4 weeks ago

There is some sort of a vision that is manifest in the NEWS articles.  Great effort is put in over there, or AI is spinning TikTok and Instagram videos, to lure the unsuspecting to HP's adorama.

That is someone's vision of the future.  Relatively few ads on the NEWS and a link to an article, packed chock-o-block with ads, that suspend the page while the ads contemplate the wisdom of actually loading, since there is so much competition between the videos, ads and images for bandwidth. Not to mention, the ads are often the exact same ad, punctuating the article 20-30 times.

Narcoleptic readers may doze a moment and find the long expanses of white begin to populate, perhaps to their horror....

I stay because while views are a fraction of what they once were (with half as many hubs), HP income still pays my power bill, in a land where I pay for air-conditioning during the day and heating during the night.  (There is only a 30 minute pause  in between heat and cooling). It also covers my cellphone/internet and often my auto insurance each month. On an especially good month, my cable bill is also covered.  All of life's necessities neatly covered. 

I did post about 7 new articles the last two quarters of last year.  2 of them are getting 60-75 views a day, and that was worth the effort.  The others add up to 75-100 views a day.  So it was not - not worth the effort.  I'll probably give it another go shortly.

In brief, I notice an uptick when I do something on HP, whether it's an edit, a new article, or something else.

12. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 weeks ago

We're nearly at the end of Q1 though, so it'll probably drop again next month. Fingers crossed though. My traffic is down 20% this week after the latest volatility. Might be due to school holidays too though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)