Editing/Proofing idea

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Jule Romans profile image95
    Jule Romansposted 14 years ago

I was just starting to go hub hopping today when I had a thought. What if there was a "hopper" for those of us who are interested in feedback on the quality of writing in our hubs?

We could add our hubs to that list, and people could rate or comment on errors they find, or make suggestions about grammar and style. I think it would need to be limited to these aspects, because some people might be expecting detailed responses to stories and such, if that were not made clear.

I know there are several very experienced online writers and editors here. They all have limited time. If they could hop for a few minutes and either highlight or mention errors, it  could continue to increase our quality of writing.

I admit, I have an ulterior motive. I am an English teacher. Sometimes I would like to point out an error to an author, but I am  not sure that it would be welcome. This way, willing authors could easily be identified. I am also a new writer on HP, so I am hungry for feedback all the time. This  feature would help me make sure my usage and grammar are correct.

We get "points" for hopping, so that would be a reward for those who volunteer their time to proofread.

I suppose another option would be for an author to check a box  that indicates they are interested in feedback on their writing, and add that option to the hub hopper. I think that might open up some unnecessary defensiveness if people didn't know what they were in for.  I could see  how a group of hubs explaining the feature might mitigate that problem, though.

1. LarasMama profile image60
      LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great idea! I have previously thought we should have something like this as well.
      I hate it when you read a great hub and there's a glaring spelling or grammatical error that the author accidentally missed. My fingers itch to let them know but usually I feel it wouldn't be appreciated...

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Extreme Hub Makeover category is for Hub authors to request feedback and get help with their Hubs.

http://hubpages.com/forum/23

"Need constructive criticism on your Hubbing technique or some advice on how to make your Hubs even better? This is the place for you. Just remember, you asked for it ..."

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think we get points for hopping? 

If you see typos in a Hub, the easiest option is to write a comment to that effect.  Then make sure you add something like "please feel free to delete this comment after reading".

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like that, really. I KNOW I make tons of mistakes, and if anyone anywhere wanted to point them out...I would be more then happy to fix it. and then hit delete on the comment

1. Rafini profile image82
          Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sad  smile  Whatever mistakes your hubs have add to the feeling of the hub, it shows the feelings going on inside of you when you write them.  I don't know about others, but I wouldn't change them if I were you (except, maybe, for hubs that aren't so emotional) smile

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 14 years ago

Website Examiner offers to do free reviews and critiques to any hubber upon request, as described on our profile page.

3. salt profile image61
    saltposted 14 years ago

I sort of agree with the extreme make over page as it allows people to ask for help, opinions etc..

otherwise, you could always make a group who help each other edit etc

4. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I'm seeing a distinct difference between these two concepts.

The Extreme Hub Makeover would be for people who know something isn't quite right with their hubs but can't put their finger on it.

A Hub Hopper for feedback on quality of writing would be more beneficial to some who don't consider the Extreme Hub Makeover an appropriate place for feedback on their hubs.  I would suggest this form of HubHopping be voluntary & feedback anonymous.  That would mean the feedback would have to be separate from the comments section, though.  There are times I would like to participate in something like this type of Hub Hopper, if it existed.

5. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I posed this exact same idea here in the forums not too long ago.  Just an FYI.  You might want to search it and read the replies...

6. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

The problem is that grammar is a squishy thing, even more so given the differences even between American English "rules" and UK English "rules."

I imagine that people who are not confident in their grammar would be misguided as often as not by others who are "confident" in their grammatical "mastery" and, well, it could be ugly.

wouldn't it make sense, then, to put that in the post?  American English, or UK English, (or whatever)  Or, it could be an option to choose from so whoever responded would know what the poster was asking for, such as:

1. grammer
      2. spelling
      3. style
      4. content

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it would make more sense.  I'm still not sure how a writer would know whether or not the advice they were getting was any good. 

Workshopping is as much a learned skill on the delivery side as it is on the receiving side.

Thats why I suggest it to be anonymous (perhaps on both sides) because advice is subjective.  If it were truly objective there wouldn't be a problem at all, but for someone who wants to learn and improve - I think it's a good idea. 

Someone who requests feedback isn't usually looking for an argument (hopefully) but wants to know if their writing is effective or if it needs improvement as well as what kind of improvement would be recommended by a more experienced writer.

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

and there is always "artistic liscense"

7. Jule Romans profile image95

I did read that thread. In fact, I contributed. This thread is partly in response to some of those ideas.

I was thinking this might be a good way for some of us to work strictly on grammar/spelling/proofreading, separately from other issues.

I didn't mean "points" literally. I understand that hubscore has a bit to do with how we contribute to the community.
    This seems to indicate to me that we are encouraged to do what we can to improve the quality of writing on this site, in a professional and respectful way.

I don't have a great deal of expertise in the HubPages area, but I do have something to offer in the proofreading area. It seemed like a way that some of us newer folks could offer suggestions, in a non-threatening way. I have only been here a few months, so I wouldn't feel right correcting anyone's grammar unless they specifically asked for that.

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I don't think your idea would be a bad one for anyone interested in that type of thing.  Some people are looking for feedback on their grammar (and whatever).  Others aren't.  For people interested in getting that kind of feedback it would be just one more way to get that - never a bad thing.

One reason I "phased away from" another writing site (that begins with "H") was it started to push the "writing-collaborative" kind of thinking more than I like.  Maybe this is "bad attitude", but I don't want to be other writers' teacher on here, and I don't want anyone else worrying about my Hubs either.  Rating up or down pretty much does it for me.

With the other site, I was always pleased enough if someone let me know about a typo (they happen and get missed lots of times), but I didn't want anyone giving me grammar tips.  I'm sure someone would go through my stuff and find grammar "issues," but lots of times, as someone who has written for a long time and is confident with my own grammar skills, I'll "take liberties" for the purpose of, maybe, being funny or just making the words do what I want them to do.  I started writing on here because it's a site where there isn't all that talk about about being a "writing collaborative, rather than a writing site".  (Of course "word" on that site was also, "People on the Internet aren't looking for perfect grammar," which was another attitude with which I wasn't too thrilled).  hmm

I pretty much like the "every-man-for-himself" way things are here, lol with each Hubber being responsible for his own level of quality.  I like things the way they are here now.  Of course, what you have here is a person who has stayed for close-to-three years because of liking things the way they are (so they'll always be that kind of thing that goes on in any site).  smile

Having said that, I know the "Hubber World" is pretty much divided into those who want to involve themselves with other people's quality, and those who don't particularly want to spend too much time that.  As it is (and I am) now, I do what I can to try to help improve the quality of the site.  There's only so much input I'm interested in receiving or giving, though.  lol

9. Jule Romans profile image95

That makes sense. Thanks.

I just got here, so I still have a lot to learn about all this.

1. Jule Romans profile image95
      Jule Romansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like it better here, too. The way it is. (Fragment intentional-- Hehe) smile

10. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

People will ask for help too.  They'll send an email and just outright ask.  Which is the best time to give it.  Then you have someone who is receptive to advice.  (Sometimes they only think they need help and really just need a confidence boost.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)