jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)

Jessica Watson - You are amazing

1. travelespresso profile image79
    travelespressoposted 7 years ago

16 year old Australian, Jessica Watson has just finished sailing around the world single handed - 210 days!  What a feat!

When the Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd welcomed her home, he said she was a hero.  Jessica replied that he was wrong - she just lived her dream. 

A truly outstanding effort and an amazing young lady.  I salute her sheer guts and determination.

1. barryrutherford profile image74
      barryrutherfordposted 7 years agoin reply to this

indeed !

2. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 7 years ago

What path did she take to sail around the world?

3. travelespresso profile image79
    travelespressoposted 7 years ago

She left Sydney and went round the bottom of South America etc.

There was a lot of controversy before she left Australia as she had a near miss with a ship on her first night away.  But she returned to Sydney, dealt with the controversy in a way that many mature people wouldn't be able to and started again.

She's an outstanding young lady.  Its hard to believe that she's just 16!

4. Eileen Hughes profile image86
    Eileen Hughesposted 7 years ago

Jessica Watson has more guts than me.  I would be too scared I was left in the ocean for those big jaws,  they freak me out watching them in movies.

She sure has made those knockers sit up and take notice.  Good luck to her she deserves all the ackolades she receives.  It has put Good Old Oz back on the map and its only through a young sixteen year old,  she has done as much for Australia as all those big boats in the american yacht races.   Good onya girl.   Congratulations thats all I can say.

travelespressoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

She certainly did have her detractors.  However, she focussed on her goals and did it!!!!  I'm so impressed. 

I was in Sydney when she left which was tremendous.  I wished that I could have been in Sydney to welcome her back to Australia.    However, a flotilla and crowds welcomed her back which is great.

5. Pearldiver profile image81
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

Amazing effort when you consider that she spent 210 days alone at sea in a Pink sloop. hmm

Instant millionaire before her 17th BD... brilliant lesson for all of us... irrespective of age.  smile

AND... she comes from good Kiwi Stock lol

All true!!!

And...whats wrong with a pink sloop???? Picture smiley faces in a line (how do I do that?)

1. profile image0
        Audreveaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

smile smile smile smile

Yes...but how do you put them there????

1. profile image0

Just : )  ....... but get rid of the space in the middle (I had to remove or it would become a smiley)

as many times as you want. Replace the ) with D for the big laughing smiley face

Ooh now I get it - Duh!! smile smile big_smile big_smile

1. profile image0

LOL - now we just have to work out how they do that rolling eyes one. Add that one to winky wink and we're all set!

6. salt profile image74
    saltposted 7 years ago

she did good.

7. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 7 years ago

Amazing story! Very exciting.

Yes it is a fairy tale story.  Her parents (and her myriad of technical supporters) must be so proud.

8. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 7 years ago

WOW! What an amazing feat!! Hard to believe really!! smile

9. profile image0
    Tom Maitlandposted 7 years ago

It's such an incredible story! Can you imagine being alone on water for that long?

It was really great, however, to see the media focusing so much on such a positive topic for once too. Really glad she got the attention, certainly deserved it.

As much as I love sailing I just cannot imagine being on the water and alone out there for that length of time.

In the middle of the ocean she went up the mast too.  Gutsy.

I'm so happy she captured attention.  I agree with you totally TM - she does deserve it.

working