How much time do you spend writing a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Lena M. profile image59
    Lena M.posted 15 years ago

I'm new to Hubpages, as I joined about two weeks ago.

I've been looking around and  there are many quite prolific hubbers.

I know that quality is what matters, but out of curiosity, how long do you spend writing each hub? Including any research, writing, editing.

1. anjalichugh profile image69
      anjalichughposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It entirely depends on what you are writing about. I normally take anywhere between 60-90 min in putting a hub together. That includes the research work also.

2. The Real Tomato profile image65
      The Real Tomatoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am new to writing so it takes me longer than a few hours. I also have constant interruptions with three small children and a husband with chronic pain. With my informative Hubs I triple check all the info I know and usually add info that I discovered to make sure I am giving comprehensive and interesting info. Others that are just my opinion about something just a few hours. Then after that I give it a day ( don't read it )  then go back and read it ( aloud) - I always catch grammar and spelling mistakes that need to be changed. Finding the right pictures/videos can take anywhere from 10 minutes to hours depending on how difficult they are to locate.
      I am baffled by those who whip out several a week. This time next year, I hope to be putting out several quality Hubs a week - I am not there yet.

--I am also collecting information for future Hubs. When it is time to write those it should only take a few hours.

--

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I also am baffled.  I think it would be great if those who turn out multiple Hubs in a week, and good quality Hubs, too, would share their methods.

3. JPeaslee profile image61
      JPeasleeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've written two hubs, and the first one took me about two hours (maybe even longer, because there was a ton of research involved), and the second took me about one and a half hours. I'm actually surprised, because neither felt like it took that long.

I also have no idea if they're any good. I hope they are...

2. WeddingConsultant profile image65
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

It actually takes me a bit longer than that. Typically for my longer hubs it takes me 3-5 hours including research and such. I think what takes up a good chunk of that time is gathering the photos (because I don't want to "steal" someone else's work) and sometimes even creating/tweaking photos in photoshop.

So if I were to take all that out of the scenario and just make a picture-free hub, the research and writing part takes considerably less. Maybe 1-2 hours depending on the subject.

Hope that helps!

3. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I would say I probably average about two hours per hub, counting research.

4. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

It all depends on the content. If I'm writing about something I do for work, I can write from memory, and can do a hub in 30 mins to an hour.

However, if I'm doing one of my Top 10's (or Top 50's) they take a lot longer! My Top 50 Fastest cars took the longest. Think over 3 days I totalled about 9 - 10 hours, but there was a lot of research and sourcing stock images!

One thing I have noticed, is as I've published more, I've learnt little tricks to speed things up, like using the "re-order capsules" feature, very helpful if you need to add 50 text and 50 image capsules!

Everyone will be different, best to take your time and like you said, aim for quality over quantity!

Oh, and welcome!

Andre

5. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 15 years ago

the question is how much time do i waste writing hubs that i throw away or lose, taking copious notes for subjects that i drop....i think mental organization probably helps write quickly...then, you have to find the right picture...then you get sidetracked by all the crazy stuff on youtube

1. WHoArtNow profile image82
      WHoArtNowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Rofl!

I hate Youtube, but can get so easily sidetracked! Oh, and I agree with you on wasted time, I must have half research for at least a dozen hubs that I've just lost all motivation to finish.

2. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL, too true! I didn't count the time I spend getting sidetracked by interesting/pretty stuff in my two hours! smile

6. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

Most of my Hubs have required around 5 hours each.  A small handful, just 2 or 3 hours.  Then there are the mother-lodes that take as many as 14 hours spread over 2 or 3 days.  The ones that take the longest are the ones that have the most content plus the greatest number of original photos and drawings. 

I agree with WHoArtNow...aim for quality over quantity.

7. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

Anywhere from several minutes to many hours.
    It depends on the subject matter, and how much information is already in my head.

I don't use that many pictures, but sometimes finding the right picture takes longer than writing the hub.

On average, I guess that a hub would take about an hour to write.
    Cheers, Eric G.

1. Lena M. profile image59
      Lena M.posted 15 years agoin reply to this

How do you write something in several minutes?

1. rmshdc profile image59
        rmshdcposted 15 years agoin reply to this

As pointed out by Eric Graudins, from several minutes to several hours depending upon the topic and subjct you are writing.

If you are writing on a subject that had happened in the recent time and you personally went thru' it, then writing that happening wouldn't take much time.

But if you have write something after some research means, it would take hours.  Sometimes you need to read and understand.

2. Eric Graudins profile image61
        Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well take this hub for instance:
        http://hubpages.com/hub/chop-off-www
        I"m very familiar with the subject matter, and an idea just popped into my head that the mostly unnecessary www prefix that most people still use for web addresses is just like an appendix - in most cases just hanging there and doing nothing.

I had written about this topic in my newsletter before, so it just took about 5 minutes to churn out this twist to it.
        (I can type pretty quickly too :-)   
        Cheers, Eric G.

8. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

It depends on how focused and what the topic I think about writing is. Also, it depends on how much research (if any) I need to do to get the whole Hub accurate, and how long it takes finding pictures, videos, rss feeds, etc.

In a general sense, I am thinking it is no less then 30 minutes, no more then 5 hours (so far).

~thranax~

9. embitca profile image85
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

Like everyone else, it really depends on the subject matter. If I'm writing a hub about something I'm very well versed in, it might take me only about a half hour or so. But most of my hubs probably take at least two hours.

I find one of the most time consuming aspects is looking for relevant photos, Amazon products, videos, Ebay stuff, etc. and then getting it all organized so the hub looks good. Most of the writing doesn't take me too long at all, once I've done the research.

10. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I tend to get long and involved, so mine take much longer than most people's seem to!

11. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

Now that is a good question., it all depends on the topic and if I have to do some serious research iy can take days.. If it comes right out of my head, 45minutes to an hour, if it was the longest article I have ever written, which was just recently it was 3 1/2 hours good grief it was lengthy. smile

12. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

Depending on the kind/length of Hub, I take from as little as 20 minutes (not a long Hub, by any means) to a couple of hours.  Average, for me, is probably between 40 minutes and an hour - that is for the type of stuff I have on HubPages.

I don't usually write Hubs that involve research specifically for any Hub.  What I more do with "serious" Hubs (that require solid information, rather than just opinion) is write them, based on things I've researched/studied over the years and have since assimilated the information.  Since I write on assignment in my non-HubPages life, I generally aim to stay away from things about which I don't already have knowledge.  Sometimes, too, I'll write a "serious" Hub in the form opinion (and don't pretend it's anything else), but an informed opinion, based on knowledge.

If I'm writing anything and want to make a point that could be made with by citing a statistic or some other thing, I'll go find what backs up what I know (but don't happen to have an exact, latest, statistic on).

Sometimes I look for requests that I know I can answer without research. Sometimes I whip up a "how to cook fake (soy) bacon" kind of thing.  Basically, I aim to write what I know simply because I write about stuff I don't already know "in the rest of my life".

If you write about what you know already or ideas that your own, all you have to do is "put your brain on print" and your typing hands on "go" - and even some big, long, Hubs come out in 45 minutes.  I'll then use the other 15 minutes to do things like ad pictures or videos.  For me, this is the most fun kind of writing.   On serious subjects that require solid information, I'm always careful about how I present something.  I'm a big one for offering, "some believe this" and "but some believe that" - and then adding what I "suspect" could be true with something like, "given this, and given that, there is at least the chance that....".  It shares what I know without pretending what I don't know, lets people see the reasoning and thought process involved in my own ponderings; and yet does not present my own thoughts as fact.

This approach to "fun writing"  is good because I never have writer's block, and am pretty much always interested in what I'm writing.   Of course, if I'm in the mood I may research and whip up a 25-minute, 500-word, article about something like, for example, umbilical hernias - but I usually only do that kind of thing if there's something like a request.  I'm not against laboring over some big, written, thing (complete with professional tone and references) if I have reason to write such a thing; but one of the reason I like HubPages is that writers get to write what they want or think should be said, with pretty much complete freedom.

13. Ms Chievous profile image65
    Ms Chievousposted 15 years ago

I'd say I average 45 minutes to an hour and a half on hubs depending on the research.  I usually do informative hubs on lists and different website.  It takes soem time to locate the links and pics to go with my topics.

14. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 15 years ago

Each hub takes as long as it takes...

My quickest Hubs have been assembled in minutes and I'm sure there are a few in there that took weeks.

15. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 15 years ago

Anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours depending on the subject.

16. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

The shortest about half an hour and the longest about two hours!

17. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 15 years ago

The academic ones took weeks.  The others were just rants that took a few minutes initially, then some time to edit over time.  Depends on the type of hub and what you are trying to convey.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)