Um ... huh...anyone up for a "instant" Hub Challenge?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (79 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Hubberville,

Care to take your shot?

Come on, write and publish a freshly created up in 30 minutes.

Write on any topic.
    Write it till done.
    Then hit publish smile

Edit at a later time. wink

Think you can do it?

Looking for at least 4 to 5 more people.

Cagsil

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 14 years ago

I'm in, if we are square on that "other matter."

Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What other matter? lol lol

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't use smileys, so I regularly get in trouble.

Interesting to know. I don't live in the past, if that helps clear your mind about "the" other matter. lol

3. Cagsil profile image71

Glad you're in. smile

4. profile image0

Thanks for the invite. So are you looking to create one hub collaboratively, or each person should write and publish one?

Each person writes their own hub. wink

1. profile image0

Fine. I suppose you prefer that everyone start at the same time? If so, that requires a bit of coordination.

I am first waiting to get 4 to 5 more people, besides myself. Then from that point, a 5-10(depending on or rounding to the closest quarter hour) minutes we'll begin. smile

5. Cagsil profile image71

Anyone else?

Hey SHADESBREATH where are you?????? lol

Shades????

I know you're lurking.....come on, need one more. lol

1. profile image0

Have you tried posting a message to your feed, does that help?

I know Shadesbreath is around and there are at least 20-30 other people just watching the forums.

And, no I have not tried what you asked, because I wouldn't know how to. wink

@Thank you Travelespresso for letting me know about the outages you have. I'll understand if something happens. smile

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 14 years ago

Sure, I'll give it a try!

7. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 14 years ago

I'm in Cags.  This will be my first instant challenge!  What time do we start?

8. Cagsil profile image71

Cool.

I'm waiting for one more person. smile

Glad to have you both. smile

9. travelespresso profile image68

BTW - we regularly have power outages here (northern Vietnam) so if by chance you don't hear from me that will be the reason!!! 

Yesterday we had power all day but last week I think about 5 out of 6 days we lost power for around 7 hours!

10. profile image0

When inside the feed, on top of it, there is a field saying "What's on your mind?" At least that is how it looks with mine.

I'm not on the feed and not using it presently, but thank you for the insight of one of its uses. Did not know that.

11. Cagsil profile image71

Okay, START time is 8:30pm (EST) and finish at 9:00pm.

9 minutes to start.

Anyone else? big_smile

12. Cagsil profile image71

Wilderness

Travelespresso

Website Examiner

and Myself makes 4.

Anyone else..... 7 minutes to start time.

13. Cagsil profile image71

5 minutes and counting down

14. Cagsil profile image71

4 minutes.....on your mark??? lol

1. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fingers are itching to start!

15. Cagsil profile image71

3 minutes......get ready..... lol

16. Cagsil profile image71

2 minute WARNING.... lol

17. Cagsil profile image71

1 minute.....get set smile

18. Cagsil profile image71

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

19. Cagsil profile image71
  20. Cagsil profile image71

Post your links when done..... 5 minutes to go. smile

21. Cagsil profile image71

3 minutes..... smile

22. wilderness profile image95
  23. profile image0
  24. travelespresso profile image68
  25. Cagsil profile image71

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

WTG EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

I'm off to read them... smile

26. travelespresso profile image68

Just reported the spammer too!!!!!

27. figment profile image76
    figmentposted 14 years ago

I just read the forum... you inspired me to at least publish one tonight.   I haven't researched in weeks.

28. wilderness profile image95

Wow!  You guys make me look like the newbie I am.  Links everywhere, great pictures and mostly good grammar and spelling.  Good job, people!

29. travelespresso profile image68

WOW...I'm impressed with the work you all did in 30 minutes.  WTG.

I really enjoyed doing this and I feel very satisfied that I have a hub I've been wanting to write for weeks now, published.  Sure it needs lots of tweaking and many more photos (which I have), but its a good start.

Thanks Cags.

No problem Travelespresso.

It was fun! smile

30. wilderness profile image95

That was fun, but if I hadn't kinda been mulling this over for a while and had most of the pics already I'd not have made it.  You guys must type 1000 words a minute!

My hub is only 801 words. lol

1. profile image0

992 words here. I should have written 8 words about my childhood.

Very nicely done. smile

1. profile image0

You too, I like the style of your writing. And you have some great images.

Thank you. The images are standard on any Windows based machine. smile Someone once told me I needed to get new images or make an assortment of different images, relevant to the topic. However, I pointed out to them that as long as the message is received, the pictures themselves don't matter.

Besides, they are nice pictures and I've used them on all my hubs, and people continue to compliment them. lol

1. profile image0

I'd call that efficient recycling. Sorry to have revealed I hadn't read your other hubs, and so did not recognize the images - but they are good.

31. Cagsil profile image71

Excellent job on everyone!

All great hubs! smile

32. profile image0

I have added a links capsule with links to the 3 other hubs.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice idea.  I assume your links won't show up on my hub?  So I should do the same?

Just looking at my hub - all of you missed (or were too polite to mention) that one photo was upside down!

I didn't notice an upside down picture. I did notice a small "white" space at the end, where there is a picture, but I figured you would take care of that on the editing phase. lol

I notice above that you posted word count - surely you didn't count by hand?

And yes - its kind of short anyway.  Have to do something about that.

1. profile image0

No, please don't lengthen your hub! That is not the point, I like it the way it is.

I'll see.  Might just move things around, or change some of the text into a second text box.  Have to think about it.

2. Cagsil profile image71

Actually, you're right. I didn't count it by hand. I checked the "stats" section - hubmetrics - which told me. lol
            There is absolutely nothing wrong with the length of your hub. smile

smile  My ignorance shows badly!  I had seen the tab, but never clicked it.  Too many other things to learn, too fast.  smile

We all have to learn sometime. lol

3. travelespresso profile image68

I write in word first and then check my word count.  Of course I tweak when assembling the capsules so then I use the HP stats.

2. profile image0

Sure, create the links if you like.

I didn't see it as upside down, but as a mirror image - like Crater Lake.

33. travelespresso profile image68

Like you, I too have been doing some tweaking here and there.  I have many more photos to add (which I took in the Old quarter last month) but I'll do that later when I have more time to select and edit them.

I'm so happy - its only 9 a.m. here and I've written and published a new hub! smile smile

There you go. Plenty of time to do another hub before the day is out. lol lol

2. wilderness profile image95

Heck, you have time for 24 more, and edit them tomorrow!  lol

1. travelespresso profile image68

Too funny.  Too true too!

34. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Dang, I need to check this more often, I think an instant hub challenge would be a good kick in the butt for me to really focus on one for a little bit...I have trouble concentrating on one thing and one thing only, and I generally have my text down pretty fast because it gets written in my head long before I type it, but I need to spend more time developing links and pictures. Oh well, maybe I'll set the timer for 30 minutes and pretend it's expected by then smile

35. Cagsil profile image71

Overall, everyone produced a great hub. smile

Thanks, Cags, for both the compliment and the contest.  It was fun and I learned some new tricks (word count for instance) that I can use.  So MUCH to learn!  smile

You're welcome. This was like the 4th time I've done a challenge, and second hosted. smile I was bored, has a thought I wanted to write about, just didn't feel like writing it. The challenge made me put it down. smile

I'm glad you enjoyed. Shadesbreath and I have been doing on and off for the last month or two. smile

36. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Just read your hub, and Website Examiners.  Sorry I missed it.  Had other writing to do, but nice job pulling the Insta-challenge off.  Nice hub too.  BOth of you.  Will check out the others in a bit too.

Thank you Shades. smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

U need to hold off on Fridays till around now so I can play (WEST coast u know).  This idea was sort of a drinking game thing for me, lol, but I can't really go till I've A) finished my "real" writing, and B) have enough beer for a nice rant.  big_smile   

If you'd started it now, I'd have been all over it.  I debated starting another one, but I think I'll just read tonight.  I get so few nights to just read new peeps.  That's fun too.  I discover the coolest people.  (although, dude, what's your take on hubhopping?  Is that just me, or is that just a window on disaster?)

Yeah, I thought about that time difference, once I set the time. I figure it might be close to dinner/supper time. However, decided to go with the 3 others already on board.
          I do not hub hop. I'm not into it. But, I think you might be on to something. wink

37. Cagsil profile image71

Btw- are you set?

Had enough beer? Got a good rant? lol

I could probably rant on something, but no need.  You got one in, so you're good.  I've choked up 60 pages in the last few days.  I'm actually cool to just read.  If you get enough, I'll be number five, otherwise, I'm just gonna discover new hubbers, enjoy the too-loud tunes, and destroy this 12-er.

Then you have a good night reading. Oh, btw- I've responded to your comment on my hub. *hint* lol

38. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years ago

wishing everybody good luck   big_smile

It was over a long time ago Kimberly, but thank you for the wishes. smile

Wish we weren't the only people on here.  I would be so down to rant right now.  LOL

But, I will admit, I've had a great time going through some of Aya Katz's hubs.  Her mind is just crisp, like the air some winter morning right after a snow.

39. travelespresso profile image68

Hello all
    Gosh the writing in 30 minutes was the easy bit.  The tweaking and adding links, more photos etc is what's taken the time.  But still, I'm happy with my efforts today. 

I'm ready for another one! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)