Live Like Your Dying

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (47 posts)
  1. katiem2 profile image59
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Thanks to my fans for the amazing and very touching feedback and love recieved from my recent hub, Live Like Your Dying. 

I'm moved to ask this question, starting, a thread of thought and consideration to all those who have read it...

What in fact would you do if you knew you were dying?

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i know i am dying but probably 40 years from now..on serious notes i had written an hub on  it was what is you die today..

katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I almost mentioned that but decided to leave the time frame open to individual thought.  smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is one of those questions that's impossible to answer.  In theory, I would sell everything up and go travelling with my husband.   

In practice, if you know you're dying then it's because of disease, and that usually means you don't have the freedom to do many of the things you'd like to do.

And sorry, but my inner grammar nazi can't stand it any more - can you change your Hub to "Live Like You're Dying" please?  Your is possessive.

That is a total oversight on my rush to multi-task, thanks for the edit, Thinking about .... didn't notice.   Thanks I'm off to change it now....

3. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing different.   I have thought about that deeply and wrote a hub about that recently - it is called "This is enough".

4. katiem2 profile image59

OPPPS sorry for the misuse of Your.... duh it's suppose to be You're

2. SteveoMc profile image72
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

If I was dying soon, I would charge all of my credit cards up to the max.   Wait a minute I already did that.

Oh no.... what next?  smile

3. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

the hub is beautiful Katie,

Thanks M, I value your opinion.  It's amazing how it's touched so many, I get lot of emails about it. 

Your doing a fantastic body of work with this food challenge! 

Great WORK and wonderful contributions to all our diets.  smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks again Katie, and many thanks for that inspiring hub and will come back again and again to have a peek of it,

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I know I am dying. Hardly anything different smile

Hi Misha, good to see you  smile

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Hi Katie, same at you, really ♥

Thanks friend smile

6. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I know as each day moves forward it is a step closer to dying. This is why every day I look for the rainbow. We have to make the best of every single moment we have on this earth.
    That is another reason I like to eat as many prawns as I can while I can lol.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we have to Deb - but it definitely feels good when we manage ♥

1. blondepoet profile image68
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree Mish. I think the secret is, to get a grip on worrying and stressing, they don't get you anywhere, and just find a way to be happy in our lives especially within ourselves.

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I came to the same conclusion. Remember Kozma Prutkov? "If you want to be happy - be happy " smile

Yes I do Mish. Now that says it all. On that note I am off to eat cause that certainly makes me happy.
            I cook peli manis once a week too by the way. Stand there rolling out a couple hundred or more at a time. Omg they come a close second to my prawns. Now that makes me happy especially once they are boiling.

2. katiem2 profile image59

Well said blondepoet, well said indeed!

Aw yes we can't forget the prawns... smile

Oh dang where is the tartare sauce gone..........
        Seriously I have made myself ravenous with all these intoxicating thoughts of prawns. Must go eat LMAO.
        Did I ever tell you Katie that I am the worlds fastest prawn peeler I can peel them for myself and someone else yet still end up with 6 times as many shells on my plate.

No you have not told me that, I'm impressed and ready to go out for prawns, WITH YOU!  smile

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL Now I have to google peli manis yikes

Omg and we are both Russians. Oh you must call it something else.
      Pierogi? Dang am unsure of the spelling.
      You know the little meat dumplings that look like belly buttons LMAO.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL Why two words? That threw me off completely lol

I would write them as pel'meni smile

Haha Mish yes you are probably right being a gal who has never spent a lot of time writing the word too busy eating them...

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

OK, now you go have your breakfast thinking of me, and I go have my dinner thinking of you, and we happily stop highjacking Katie's thread, deal? wink

Done deal.

I did enjoy the highjacking.... smile

10. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

In truth aren't we all dieing now?

exactly, that's what live like your dying is all about... smile

2. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My terminally ill husband hated people saying 'we are all dying'.  He used to enquire as to which was the worst symptom they were having to put up with, was it the radio therapy burns or the sleepless nights?  That shut them up.  Living, that's the trick.  We're not all dying but we may be wasting our living.

11. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I try to ignore that death will come eventually as there is nothing I can do to abate it.  However I can control what I do with the living.  I seek more knowledge, more experiences and more enjoyment!  I guess that is one of the reasons I come here.  It is a chance to learn more from a very diverse group of people.  Some of it is enjoyable, some troubling.  Some new experiences, some repetitious one.  Some interesting some boring.  Then there are some like BP and yourself that are just plain intriguing!

Aww Logic I gladly receive that. Got to agree Katie and I are one of a kind LMAO.

I second that...smile

12. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

I lived with someone with a terminal illness for 10 years.  They lived every day as if it was their last.  It was exhausting.   The brutal honesty was a bit of a mind blower too.  However, it was what they wanted and they said they would only give up and die when  it was no longer funny, (life that is.) Good as their word, they went when there was nothing left to laugh at.  Any one who knows the NHS will understand why it took 10 years.

My Dad was terminally ill and when we found out I thought OMG it could happen at any moment.  He made it through many years and I have somewhat of an understanding as to what you describe.  Every persons experience is different but it sort of got to be like waiting for the other shoe to drop after a few years.  My Dad died young.    It's hard living with someone who is sick and dying, I just kept wondering how he was...

13. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

said so well, BP. our life is within.
    I think also to accept death as a natural part of the journey.

other than making sure all legal matters are taken care of, I would do nothing different. smile
    I'll have to visit your hub katiem.

It's about making the best of life now while your alive and well.

1. Hubbin4V12 profile image62
        Hubbin4V12posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i totally agree, why wait to do anything, everyday one should at least attempt to try something new or out of their element, and at be as positive as possible.
        Personally I would traverse Europe, perhaps go sky diving and possibly even take up becoming a pilot. Just to name a few maybes. Great hub and thread btw Kat.

Thanks hubbin4, I'm enjoying the response.

14. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

Perhaps a good question would be , how would we treat others  knowing that we were dieing, would it change us for the better.

Ewwwwww that's a great question.  I def think I would be more appreciative of others and a kinder person, possibly a better listener.

15. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

hmmmm...I think I'd be very selective of who I'd want to spend my last days, months with...I'd want it to be a good time...good energy and all of that..it'd be all about me.  If I wasn't a kind person before I'm not sure if all of a sudden I'd become one and become a better listener...I'd be listening to me...and I wouldn't want anyone leaning on me for support or comfort when I'd be the one that is actually going to die.  if there was an exchange in communication - it wouldn't be just about listening - it would be an actual exchange - back and forth....to the delight and satisfaction of everyone.  i'm not sure if that made a lot of sense.

16. MrsKnowledge profile image58
    MrsKnowledgeposted 13 years ago

I would make sure that every moment i spent was doing something I enjoy. That way I would be enjoying life all the way up until my last breath.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)