Duplicate Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Ben Peck profile image59
    Ben Peckposted 13 years ago

One of my hubs has duplicate written underneath it. I contacted hubpages saying it should be unique. Will they check it out, and if it is just a conflict of popular terminology remove the duplicate marker. Or will I have to change the content

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I ran a quick test on your hub with the title "Dealing with online poker fatigue." On that one alone, I immediately found two articles with the same text, word by word, elsewhere on the Internet. One was published on 9 June, 2010. The other on 29 June, 2010. You have only been here for six days...

Seems you do indeed have an issue with duplicate content. The only question is who has been copying from whom.

Ben Peckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

could you tell where you found them please

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I found them, thanks, I cant believe someone has ripped me of like this. I sent the article to a poker site I was playing at a few months ago as part of a a competion. heard no more about it and did not give it any more thought. is there anything I can do about this, and can I expect the same thing when ever I put something on the internet. This is my firstt go at publishing on the web, and that has really put me off the idea,

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can contact the websites and ask that they take them down. If not, and they have Adsense, you can file a DMCA report through Google.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if he can do that, since it sounds like he submitted the article before he published it on HubPages.

yes that's right.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And the submission agree may include a right to post the material online--they often do.

2. Ben Peck profile image59

thanks mate, I will give it a try, I wont hold my breath tho. Never mind, leave and learn, fretting over, plenty more where that came from. Too much crap in my head to let that stop me.

2. profile image0

Sorry to hear that. It does happen a lot. We had this discussion just the other day, and you will also find links to previous forum threads on what to do about plagiarism.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/46711

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ben, any time you submit your work to a site, always read the terms and conditions first!

Go back to the site and see if the terms are still displayed - you may find that under the terms of the comp, all submissions became the property of the poker site and they're allowed to re-use them any way they like. 

If that's the case, you don't have a leg to stand on and just have to accept that article isn't yours any more.  However, if that wasn't stated, contact them, give them the links to your article and ask them to please explain.

1. Len Cannon profile image88
              Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what the terms of the contest were, but there's a good chance there was a clause stating that they owned whatever material you sent them.

If you publish ORIGINAL work on Hubpages you will be able to control what is done with that content.  It is possible others will copy your work but you will have a valid legal claim if that happens.

So should I bother keeping the hub page, or just bin. I think their may have been terms on the site i sent it too, if the article is competing with it's self then wont it be useless.

I will just leave it there for a bit and see how it goes, it is mine after all and it is  the original,

Thanks everyone for the input,  of to bed now, goodnight.

1. travelespresso profile image70
                    travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are unable to get the competition company to remove your article here's another thought.  You could edit your HubPages article so the story is largely the same but the way its expressed isn't. 
                    Good luck!

Nice one. this problem kept me awake a little last night, then the answer came to me. Do what we always do, write about it, and maybe a review as well, vendettas are fun. I feel a hub coming on.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Ben, if your Hub is something you've written but also posted somewhere else online, it will show up as "duplicate".  If you know, without doubt, that you've only posted the Hub/article on HubPages that could mean someone has copied your article and posted it somewhere else.   If you write under any other screen names it can look, to some people, like one writer has stolen another writer's work.

If you're the one who has it posted somewhere else, you don't need to do anything (other than realize it may not get much traffic because it will be competing with itself).  In fact, the HubPages note with the "duplicate-content" warning tells you not to contact the team and tell them it's your article that you posted elsewhere.  You have the choice to remove it from one place or not, as long as you know what the situation is.

You can look (somewhere where you see the duplicate-content warning, but I don't off-hand, recall where it is or where to click) to see where the material shows up elsewhere.  You can file a report if someone took your Hub. 

Sometimes what can happen is someone posts a link to your Hub on something like their blog or site, but instead of just having the link and a few lines from your Hub there will be a giant chunk of your writing with the link.

3. travelespresso profile image70
      travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Nice work Ben Peck.  Glad you've found a couple of positives out of an unpleasant situation.
      Keep us posted.

Another thought re the vendetta review though.  If the competition company stated they could keep and publish articles submitted then they are acting within the stated rules.  It's then a lesson for participants in contests to beware of the fine print.   

However, if they have ripped you off, its not fair and not right so I say go for it!

After sending a rather grim email to the offender, eventually they realised what I was talking about, and contacted me.

You can see their comments on the hub page.

I was ready to forget about the whole experience, put it down to life experience.

However, they obviously have issues with my response.

All I can say is, they mimicked me, surely that is a sign of flattery and respect for my writing skill. Which they could not produce on there own, without my input.

website examiner, if you are here I could use your help.

I have just republished the article in question and now it does not say duplicate.

What has gone on, has the offending site yielded, or is it something else. The search engine still brings the same results. So I am baffled.

If anyone has a view on this, then speak now, so I can go to bed, LOL

2. profile image0

To answer this, I'd have to know how often HubPages content filter updates data from the search engines. HubPages staff knows this, I guess.

Also keep in mind that the blogs may get crawled less frequently compared with HubPages, meaning the search results may not be quite up-to-date.

Be safe.

http://hubpages.com/contact_us/

4. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't hubs promoting gambling against HP and Google's TOS anyway?  Aren't the articles regarding playing online poker?  Or is it not considered gambling?  I'm only asking.

1. profile image0

I've read the hubs, and I do not see them as promoting gambling - more like an online gambler's perspective on life, like satire.

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
          KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool.....then he's probably ok.  I just didn't want him to get caught up in a mess if he didn't have to.

5. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

You know you can email Website Examiner directly, right?  I checked and he has that feature enabled on his profile.

1. profile image0

Thanks KCC Big Country, you are a model citizen around here.

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
          KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL.....thank you, like you, I try to help when I can.

You guys are great, I can sleep happy knowing the world has people like this
            Thanks for telling me about emailing our Web site examiner. Someone will have a busy in box tomorrow. LMAO.

Hang on a sec, was my question answered?
              I know you guys must be busy, but if you can spread some light on the subject, I would be very grateful,
              in your own time. no rush.

1. profile image0

I answered as far as what is possible, see my post above.

You may get caught in the duplicate content filter again, or you may not.

You may get in trouble over copyright issues, or you may not.

I think only time will tell.

You may of course contact HubPages on the link I provided and ask them to moderate your hub; I am not advising you on that, only saying this is always an option.

Thanks mate.

Perhaps, it was the gods of writing justice, only time will tell.

Either way, You certainly know your mushrooms.

Goodnight, and sleep well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)