TOS Violation

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image71
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I received this message today from the HP team:

Your Hub has been identified as a violation of our Terms of Use.

Deceptively Tagged/Titled/Categorized – Hub is improperly categorized, has a misleading title, or has tags that don't match the Hub's content; possibly including irrelevant or excessive tagging or keyword stuffing

How can you tell which part has been deemed deceptive?  My sense is that it was the tags, but I'm concerned that my account will be closed.  I've changed the tags and resubmitted it, and wonder how often this sort of thing happens.  I published this hub almost a year ago-thought it was cool.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it's not obvious, you can reply to the email and ask them to clarify.   

One common reason for tag problems is when people accept all the suggested tags, thinking that because they're "officially" suggested, they must be right. 

HubPages has only a small admin team, so sometimes it takes them a while to catch TOS violations.

lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Marisa, I didn't accept any of the suggested tags.  But I did go back and 'update' them to more accurately fit the subject matter. 
        Richieb799-no, that's not there, but I think I will email them if they choose not to republish.

2. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

does the hub have a symbol next to it with a $ crossed out? If so it just means they have removed your ads until you change what is wrong..email them and ask for specifics

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 14 years ago

Lorlie, I think as long as you have made a good-faith effort to correct the problem, this should be good enough to keep your account safe. If anything, you could email them and explain what steps you have taken and why.

lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good suggestion, WE-thanks.

4. oscarmecp4 profile image60
    oscarmecp4posted 14 years ago

Hi fellow Hubbers I've expierence some problem with Google adsense about fraudelent click activity which I don't know of.
    My account has been disabled the second time but still the ads is running on hubpages but not on my other private pages.
    Have tried to follow up with Google but unfortunatly have no response from Google.
    Regards
    Oscarmecp4

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Adsense ads running on your hubs belong to HubPages if you don't have an account.

5. thisisoli profile image77
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

send an email to team@hubpages.com and they will clarify exactly what is wrong with your hub.

6. liljen23 profile image74
    liljen23posted 14 years ago

I had a hub with the same issue and I redid the tags, title, and used a better category. This will not close your account, they are just alerting you of the issue and to fix it.

7. oscarmecp4 profile image60
    oscarmecp4posted 14 years ago

Thanks for the help guys.

8. torimari profile image70
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I had a similar issue too, and emailed hubpages. They promptly gave me a concise response...unfortunately, ads are still disabled because I wrote about "Lolita" and that is adult content, but I was satisfied with customer service ie response. smile

9. mdlawyer profile image44
    mdlawyerposted 14 years ago

In some of my hubs ads do not appear though there has been no message or indication that ads  disabled

10. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Suffering a big problem myself with hubs I wrote relating to "Vaginismus" and "Improving Male Fertility" having ads disabled although they are well researched, and totally on common medical problems, (at least in the Vaginismus case partially based on my own experiences when I was younger). No logic to it and to be honest rather fed up right now about the whole thing.

As I replied on your other thread, there is a logic to it.

Google uses robots to check for violations. They cannot check context, only the use of "forbidden" words.  Even serious, helpful advice on sexual matters is not allowed on any site that displays Adsense ads. 

Rather than being annoyed at HubPages for disabling your ads, you should be grateful to them for protecting you.  If they'd done nothing, you could have lost your Adsense account for breaking their TOS.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually Marisa I am more annoyed at Adsense right now as certain posts have clearly said this is an Adsense issue. They are raking in a fortune from writers, yet are unwilling to pay staff to manually review certain articles because it will reduce their profit margin. This is just plain greedy and not good business in the long run. If they did this properly they would make money from the well written and researched articles, but instead they resort to a "blanket" rule to reduce costs. Basic business rule.... "You have to speculate to accumulate" or alternatively "Reduce your margin to increase your turnover". I have run businesses in the past and also attended many training courses which is how I know this works.

Misty, Google has made the decision not to serve certain portions of the market because they've done a cost/benefit analysis and decided it's not economical.  Isn't that good business?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
            mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

But how do you know that they did a "cost benefit analysis" and how can they determine this would not be profitable without at least trying to employ staff to check out the articles that they think might be "borderline" based on robots, and didn't just decide it wasn't worth the hassle/or assumed the resulting profit would not be worth it Marisa? Like at least one other poster has pointed out on other threads, Adsense don't seem to have any problem with gay/homosexual articles, so why are articles medical in content relating to fertility prohibited? Sorry, but this does sound like an assumption not based on information, unless you work for Adsense and haven't mentioned it yet, (in which case I acknowledge you know more than I do).

But surely, large companies make decisions without actually implementing programs all the time. 

Google's core businesses are all based on an automated platform.  It would be going outside their core method of operation to start employing staff to do manual tasks.  If they weren't already making squillions of dollars, I'm sure they would consider trying new methods of operation so they could improve their profit.  But their existing business is already doing very well.

11. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 14 years ago

I bet by now it's all fixed - hope so - but I've always found that if you email team@hubpages.com they let you know what the problem is and you can fix it in 2 shakes.  On a busy day, maybe 3 shakes!

Hope you got it fixed.  I think it has to do with automation and how many spiders and programs run to search - or some technical blah-blah-blah like that. Don't you love that I have such a great grasp on the technical lingo?

12. mdlawyer profile image44
    mdlawyerposted 14 years ago

It may be alerting you about TOS norms and may not affect your account

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)