jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

An article removed from Helium. Can I post it here?

1. brakel2 profile image84
    brakel2posted 7 years ago

I had an article with a good rating removed as being slightly off topic in a memoir category. It has been removed for almost a month. However, it is mentioned in another similar article on memoirs on the web. as they often put a bunch of stuff together on the web in description. It is in the cache but the cache goes nowhere and says that the article cannot be found. Can I move it to Hubpages or not? I know there have been similar discussions before about this but not the same issue. Thanks.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

I don't see why not, as long it is within HubPages TOS. You might want to use a different title.

3. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I don't know what Helium's current policies are. Do you own the copyright to the article or do they? If you do and if you're sure it's gone from their site, have at it and publish away! smile

brakel2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I own the copyright. Right now I don't write for them,, since I started writing here.

4. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I just looked at some of the wording on Helium's website. It says that you own the copyright, but you "share" it? You might want to look into it some more. It doesn't sound like you own 100% rights to the articles, which means that Helium can publish or sell it at will.

That doesn't mean that you can't publish it here. It just means that at some point down the road, you can get hit with a duplicate content flag if the article crops up somewhere else.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lrohner, you're right.  Helium retains the right to reproduce your article in any publication or website at any time, without any compensation to the author.  Which is why I don't write for them any more!

As you say, it doesn't really matter - brakel2 might notice a duplicate flag at some time in the future, but by that time her Hub will be well-established so it shouldn't be a problem.

Do you think they still retain the rights after it is off their site? I never read the information on Helium thoroughly, I guess. My article is about storms, and is written in the present tense as if a storm is about to happen. It had a rating of 3 of 26. Is it appropriate as a part of a hub about storms? Thanks so much,

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a good question. I would think if they've removed it from the site, they no longer want it.  But if you read their contract, it doesn't say that, so you can't be sure.

However there's no reason why you can't use it - worry about them republishing it if and when it happens.

2. brakel2 profile image84

Thanks for the info. I have reread the rules now and appreciate your doing that for me.

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
        Randy Godwinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would wager they still retain some rights to the article.  Helium's TOS gives them many non-exclusive rights and they seemed to change frequently when I was a member.

You might ask Helium about it if you are still on good terms with the staff at the CRAPPY site.

I contacted them, and it is off their database. They said I am free to use it elsewhere if I do not post it back there under another title like they want me to.  They said it may show up in cache for a little while. Thanks.

working