jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

How to achieve high ranking for a hub?

1. BennyTheWriter profile image74
    BennyTheWriterposted 7 years ago

How do I know which keywords are too hard to rank for in Google? 

What should I be looking at?  Should I pay more attention to the "competition" category in the Google Keyword Tool, or should I just type my desired term into Google and see who's taking up the top 10-20 spots?

Also, I've been told that the words "kaleidoscope" and "kaleidoscopic" are too hard to rank for.  Can someone please explain why this is, in detail?  Also, is it better to go with "kaleidoscope" since it has a much higher "cost-per-click"?

Thanks a lot for any and all help; I truly appreciate it!

1. Shadesbreath profile image84
      Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago
        BennyTheWriterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot!  But I've read these hubs and still, the questions I posed above are unanswered.

2. lrohner profile image83
      lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I thought this question was asked and answered a few weeks ago... Hmmm..

In Google's keyword tool, "kaleidoscope" gets over 200k global searches per month, and advertisers' average payment to Google is around $31/click. "Kaleidoscopic," on the other hand, gets roughly 5,400 global searches per month, but the CPC is around $.05. (Remember, you only get a portion of that $31 or $.05.)

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with either keyword. For "kaleidoscope," every site returned on Google's page 1 is a PR5 or higher. It would be almost impossible for you to get onto that page. Nah, it would be totally impossible for you to rank on page 1 with just one hub. Maybe if you built an entire site around the keyword...

The page 1 results for "kaleidoscopic" have plenty of wiggle room, with the #2 site returned having a PR0. You could easily rank in that spot if you do everything right. So let's say you can reasonably get 1/2 of the people searching for that keyword--that's 2,700 visitors per month. And let's say that 2% (the average) click on an ad, that means that all of that work MIGHT pay out something like $1.00 per month. Hardly worth it for the work involved.

Thanks Ironher!  I did ask a related question but I didn't entirely understand the answers.  I'm entirely new to SEO, I hope you understand.

1. lrohner profile image83
          lrohnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No problem. Did my answer help clarify at all?

Sorry for spelling your name wrong!  Yes it did help actually.  But if, say, "kaleidoscopic" isn't worth the work, how do I find keywords that are?  What indicators should I be looking for?

First of all, if you're using Google's keyword tool, be sure to select "Exact" instead of "Broad" to get more precise results. Then look for keywords that have a decent amount of searches (bare minimum 1k) and decent advertiser payout (think $1.00 and up). Then go and Google the keyword and look at the top results on page 1. If you install SEO for Firefox, you should see each site's PR below the search result. Look at PR4 and up as "I can't beat them at HubPages." PR3 is iffy, but can be done. PR2 and below are wide open for you to take their spot.

The dollar amount is only something you can decide. If the search results are small (1,000 to 5,000), you'll probably want a higher CPC. But if the potential traffic is big (10k and up), maybe you'd be willing to go for a lesser amount of $$ per click and hope for quantity. That's all up to you.

Try to shoot for long-tail keywords. Maybe "kaleidoscope" is out of your reach, but "purple kaleidoscopes with pink flowers" is wide open. (Hypothetically speaking...) smile

Thank you SO much.  This is gold smile

3. rajan1311 profile image79
      rajan1311posted 7 years ago

sorry for off topic: How do you find the cost per click value ?

In Google's keyword tool, look in the upper right corner and you'll see a button that says "columns." Click on that and you can select/deselect any columns you want.

1. rajan1311 profile image79
          rajan1311posted 7 years agoin reply to this

thanks buddy smile

4. sid_candid profile image60
      sid_candidposted 7 years ago

This is good. Really nice information posted by lrohner. Thanks a lot as this will be helpful for everyone.

working