Who has a really good profile page?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. TinaAtHome profile image67
    TinaAtHomeposted 13 years ago

I'm looking for examples of people who have really good profile pages. What do you think a good profile should contain? Who amongst the people you follow do you think has a really good profile page, and why?

1. HoopBot profile image60
      HoopBotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can try mine, it might something different. Then again, I change it fairly often! But Pcunix is right, the HP scheme is fantastic.

Wouldn't have too many links because it looks cheap, hope that helps!

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Well, if you look at mine, you will see I believe in minimalism.  I think the HP generated content is more than good.

3. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

I do, it's the bomb diggity.

4. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Keep the description short so that you can see the first set of hubs without having to scroll down any.

5. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

I have a second account here. That one has a minimalistic profile, an avatar (not a photo of me), and has hundreds of fans, and makes a lot on Adsense - the main idea of the account.
    The one I'm using here, the real me, has quite a bit of information on myself, showing the real person behind the Hubs, including a couple of links to videos where people can actually see me, if they wish. But this account is just for fun.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like your profile. It says enough, but not too long. I think they should have a touch of personality.

I like something that cosette did in one of her hubs. she minimized her profile and put a listing of her hubs in categories in one of her hubs.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Cosette is always truly innovative.

2. TinaAtHome profile image67
      TinaAtHomeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

camlo, can you tell me your other ID so I can look at your profile? I have other accounts too. I'll tell you mine, if you'll tell me yours, he, he.

1. camlo profile image83

No - that would be too embarrassing ... it's my second account, and one where I've taken a completely different approach. It works well for me, but is certainly not me.

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I went the minimalist route for a long time, but I kept hearing/seeing advice about turning the profile page is something more (and taking advantage of it).  So I went the opposite route.  I know it's too much, but when I return to the minimalist mood I'll probably change it.

One thing that I do favor is a profile page with links to the best Hubs.  Since my writing on here is some mid-level between "professional" and "fooling around", I'm not all that thrilled with a lot of my Hubs; so I don't like that I can't choose which ones will be on my profile page at any given time.   My reasoning is that the in-text links my catch someone's eye and get them to my best Hub.   People have to scroll way down to get to my latest Hubs (or Hubs that, for some reason, are showing up against my preference) - but I think that's for the best for now.   lol

I think it may depend on why someone is on here, writing.  I've got such a combo/mish-mash/some good/some worthless mix of Hubs, I wanted to focus on my overall writing (in the hopes that people might like that and overlook some crap they may run into that I've written).  I know the answer would be to fix or remove those Hubs I hate.   Maybe one day I will.

Maybe this is "Hub-ignorant" of me, but I wish we had some control over what gets on the profile page and what gets stashed at the back of the pile somewhere.   Unless/until we do, I don't want some of those bad ones to be the first thing people see.   (For years, I heard so often, "people want to know more about who the writer is", on other writing sites, so I finally thought, "Well, then, here it is."   hmm   Just about anything and everything about what I write and who I am."   smile  )

1. camlo profile image83

Good heavens, Lisa! I just took a look; probably the longest profile page I've ever seen!

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know.  The problem is what I'd like chopped off it are my Hubs.   lol    (I'm damaged from a history of being a true minimalist and being on a few sites that didn't recommend such minimalism.   lol   )  It was a big jump/challenge for me to go from that gray, shadow-guy, as a picture to using a picture at all.   smile  (Apparently, our approach evolves over time.  lol )

1. camlo profile image83

I don't think that grey shadow guy is a good idea - I never take Hubbers who leave it at that too seriously for some reason. Glad you finally chose to use a picture.

But many people have a problem using their own photo (I mean of themselves). Some I know just can't take the risk of being recognized on the Internet, and I understand that fully.

2. themist profile image61
      themistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your profile is actually awesome, *starts reading*

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean, Lisa. It annoys me when I see the Hubs listed under my "favorite topics" sometimes, and there isn't a single Dance Hub amongst them.

I keep my profile fairly short, but I use it mainly to promote my websites (a tip I learned from Misha).

7. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

I like the profiles that give a small glimpse into the person who is writing the hubs we are reading. Like Paradise7
    http://hubpages.com/profile/Paradise7
    it doesnt go right into the hubs-but gives a view of a real person.

1. camlo profile image83

Yes, I've read that one before. Interesting and keeps you reading until you reach the Hubs section.

8. Lisa HW profile image61

Marisa, it's nice to know someone knows what I mean.  I'm pretty uncomfortable about my profile; but if I get rid of what I can rid of, I'll have nothing but the Hubs I'm not too thrilled with.   lol   I see lots of really good (and more appropriate length) profiles on here, though.  I think most of them with a couple/few of paragraphs about the Hubber, a few other interesting things/links, and - of course - whatever HubPages puts on there as far as Hubs go generally look good.  It's just my opinion, I know, but I think if they look like someone cared (versus didn't care) it pretty much looks fine.

1. camlo profile image83

I like your profile, even if it is long.
      I must admit, I didn't read through your list of links - just scrolled down to your Hubs, which you probably wouldn't have wanted me to do ...

9. Lisa HW profile image61

This thread inspired me to finally do something about the profile.  (Next month:   Absolute minimalist again maybe!  lol )  For now, it's better.  (Except for the fact that I've now moved up a bunch of Hubs I'd rather stay hidden.  lol  )

1. camlo profile image83

No, don't go minimalistic. You could cut back some of the links, but what you write above them is good.

2. TinaAtHome profile image67
      TinaAtHomeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lisa HW Please don't change your profile in the next 48 hours. I'm doing a class tomorrow and want to show some really good profiles with lots of links, and I want to use yours.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tina, that's nice (thank you) - but I changed it already.    hmm    It's not a good profile, as  you can see by a few comments here.  I'll put it all back for now, but I really don't recommend using it an example.   smile   (Thank you, again, though.  )

Tiny, P.S:  OK - it's all back.   mad   mad   lol  lol   lol   (Just as well, I bured those Hubs I don't want showing up again - and this time they're REALLY buried.  lol

10. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Okay, I'll play along....therefore I'll give a SHOUT OUT to Wavegirl22

Short profile, but creative. smile

http://hubpages.com/profile/wavegirl22

11. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

You might try mine or some of these hubbers, each has a differing style but all are intriguing and all are great writers in their own fashion

http://hubpages.com/profile/myownworld

http://hubpages.com/profile/sunflowerbucky

http://hubpages.com/profile/breakfastpop

http://hubpages.com/profile/DaveRaves

These are just a few

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)