Fan Page on HP

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (38 posts)
  1. elqalatawy profile image46
    elqalatawyposted 13 years ago

What if HP makes a fan page in a style that is similar to that of Facebook? a page that contains a wall that acts as an interface between hubbers to interact outside hubs, and a discussion of any topic, besides any other feature that hubbers may see of benefit. It is of great value for both HP and hubbers.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As WryLilt says, this is not a social networking site.  There are already too many people who think it is - increasing the social side of the site would just increase that misunderstanding.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

This is not a social networking site. It's a site for people to write. HP has been nice enough to give us a forum where we can communicate.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!

It would take away value of HubPages and it's platform. wink

elqalatawyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cagsil,
        Why? even Google adds many social networking features to their apps.

1. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't want fans. I don't want to make 'friends'. I want to write, make money and learn from other writers.

Cags, all yours.

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - if the "friends" part happens that's a nice bonus but it's not the reason why I'm here.

I have an icky feeling that the pressure from users to turn HP into Facebook is going to get more and more vociferous, the more popular HP becomes. 

The majority of people on the planet seem to be social networky types so the more of them come on board, the more of this type of thread you're going to see in the forums.  Urgggh.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What part did you overlook in my statement?

You asked why? I told you why.

It takes away VALUE from HubPages and It's PLATFORM for Writers!

I did not overlook anything, and I still ask you why does it take VALUE from HubPages, if it contains a page on self improvement, another page on recipes, travel, ...etc, isn't it better for SEO?  that is all what I meant.

2. saleheensblog profile image59
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agreed,forum is nice enough to serve the purpose.Moreover fan page will influence personal bias that are not going to help the spirit of hubpages

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

No a thousand times no. If you want Facebook, please go to facebook. I don't see the benefit at all. I'm so tired of all these people trying to turn HP into FB.

4. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

There are many people on hubpages, only a relative few of US participate in the forums - we just happen to be the opinionated 'gobby' hubbers who like this way of communicating.  I think a Facebook style interaction might suit others more than the sometimes vicious cut and thrust of these pages.  Like the forums, nobody is forced to participate in anything I thnk.

It would also mean there'd be even MORE people joining who don't write hubs but are here to network. More people who jump in and give incorrect information, spam, and treat HP like a blog or just a social networking site.

1. blondepoet profile image68
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yea like the ones who email me marriage proposals.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

2. alternate poet profile image66
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't done that for a long time now !!  I am nearly over you and the whip marks are nearly gone and all !

Hahahahaha.
            Geez talk about getting over me in a hurry grrrrrr.
            I liked all those pics you sent me, like the one where you were tied to a tree painted in honey and the one where you were trying out deep sea fishing in your birthday suit.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/soranoamaya/funny/allmen.gif

1. alternate poet profile image66

You need specs, that wasn't a fishing rod !!!

Hahahahahahahaha. (BP cackles on the floor)
                Oh my must go have another look."Darn it where did I put my microscope".

1. alternate poet profile image66

How are you doing these BP ??    I haven't had tome to engage your fetishes for a while, too busy doing real stuff, like with my hands and things !

3. waynet profile image66
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sad ..... I'll cancel that email then.... boo hoo!

Bring it on cowboy. Your name isn't ichurteswti domeclakski.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/KrissJ/Ugly/up-men-00004.jpg

1. waynet profile image66
              waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How did you guess my real name???!!!

4. Pcunix profile image93
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which you never answered.

I mean just because I'm already married, too old and on the wrong continent, are those reasons to reject me?

OH but I did answer you I just used my real name Cara Van LMAO.
            Oh you must go re-check your inbox.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/girly-girl-graphics/me_quotes/1051-03-17-2010.png

2. alternate poet profile image66

Does that matter to those who are writing 'serius' hubs ?  would it affect much really.  Have you been hub-hopping lately to see just how much spammy garbage there already is?  Have you read some of the so-called better hubs and found many that are not full of inconsistencies and straight forward incorrect information?

I would see a social networking page as one way of keeping them otherwise occupied big_smile

I admit I went looking for an RSS feeds explanation hub for a newbie question the other day and gave up in disgust after I couldn't even find one on the first page of results without spelling errors or that appeared spun.

3. elqalatawy profile image46

Writing is not just promoting some products, it involves something new that may add up to the knowledge of other people, at the same time, one who writes should think of means to spread his words, and SEO and social networking are important for that.

1. Pcunix profile image93
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In fact, social networks are not.

The only thing that is important is Google.  RSS isn't important and social networks aren't important.

Don't misunderstand : *I* subscribe to RSS feeds and I am on FB and Twitter too.  But you'll never make a dime from me unless you are actually selling something you make yourself that I want.

5. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

So great to catch up with you AP....it has been awhile. Doing great how about you? Oh my word that fishing rod came up just great. Going to blow that one up and pin it to my wall. Crikeys it looks good.

6. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I don't want this either.

What i DO want is the ability to put photos in the profile section, but that is all.

1. sofs profile image75
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aren't the followers enough?  The forums are good enough I feel . There is so much interaction here , should this be sufficient. This is the uniqueness of HP let it remain!

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you mean to quote me for your response? I doubt that you did.

But, if you did, I happen to think that 'followers' sucks too. I don't want to be followed, or fanned, or stalked. I would prefer the term 'subscribers'.

ryankett has 1285 subscribers. Sounds much more powerful and less social network like.

1. Ohma profile image61
          Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree

7. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I have to go with the majority here.  Hp is not a social site and to turn a part of it into one will degrade the rest of it.  There is plenty of the social aspect in the forums should you choose to use them.

8. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I like HP just the way it is.  When I get tired of seeing forum posts that look like spam or religious fanatics or political nutcases - I just go to the specific topic or the hangout or sandpit and ignore those threads.  Of course, now that I've managed to keep my 100 for 24 hours I am ecstatic with everything in Hubville!  coolee! coolay! oh frabjous day!

so no more socializing! - get back to work all you writers!  It's Monday, in case you didn't notice!

9. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Not here to make friends... I'm here to write..

Plus, I hate facebook. It's a waste of time on so many levels. Yes, I have an account, but I seldom check it. Actually, they currently have it where every time I log out, I have to claim forgotten password to reset it, so I've given up for the past month or so.

Anyway, please don't... Forums are for communication.

10. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Its kinda annoying me how people are signing up and following me and not even leaving fan mail, it feels like the vanity fair of FB already without a 'wall' etc

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)