Could something be wrong with my Amazon account?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

I've only made one sale ever from Amazon and that was in February. I have a dozen or so product Hubs and some have generated very good traffic - and I've made money on them through Adsense. But I'm zero via Amazon. I don't expect much but at least an occasional sale now and then -- some of my product Hubs have generated 15 to 20 visitors a day from the search engines, too.

I have other informational Hubs where I thought I would have made a sale once in a while via Amazon.

I'm wondering if something could be wrong - it did track a sale back in Feb though.

I'll go to the Amazon Associates blog but thought I'd first get input here on Hubpages.

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Search engine traffiic is definitely the best traffic for sales, however 15-20 visitors a day is not really a huge amount.

If I were you I would install Google Analytics, and check teh keywords they are using to find your site.  WHen you have the keywords ak yourself if people searching for those keywords would want to buy the items on your page.

If not, think of what prooducts they might want to buy.  If you think the products are relevant, then instead try doing more SEO.

If the keywords people are coming in on are not realy keywords that would generate a sale, change your text a little to find keywords which might be more lucrative.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My only advice is to be very forward, in your face. Don't be scared of trying to sell something, this is my new tact and I have quadrupled my Amazon earnings this month on the month before last.

If you truly want to sell Amazon stuff then write sales pages, use keywords that you KNOW people will use when actively buy.

If you are very very keen to sell on Amazon, then get started on the Xmas hubs smile

Don Simkovichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, ryankett. Okay, I'll do!

2. Kyriana profile image67
    Kyrianaposted 13 years ago

I've only been here for 2 months but I can say that I've only made one Amazon sale so far. I don't know if that helps but if your code is still in affiliate settings and you can log into Amazon then it sounds like it's ok.

3. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Check your id... For a long time, I had in the wrong ID, missing a number, and once I fixed it, my sales started rolling in.

1. Aiden Roberts profile image68
      Aiden Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Whitney

When you say a number was missing was that in the affiliate set up page or in the link itself?

I only ask because this thread has got me thinking and checking, my affiliate page is correct but when i check individual product links the numbers are missing of the end of the affiliate link, I thought this was just down to space? Am I wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Don Simkovich profile image60

Thanks, my ID on Hubpages shows up as the ID on Amazon. Is it okay then? Otherwise, how would you know?

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like it's allright.  Check out the sales hubs by habee and ryankett and write more sales hubs if you want amazon to work for you.

4. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I have to agree with thisisoli, your traffic is very low.  You need significantly more if you expect to generate consistent or substantial sales.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

15-20 page views per day for 1 hub isn't that bad though surely? Some of my sales pages which have that sort of traffic manage several sales per month?

2. Don Simkovich profile image60

I'd be happy with an occasional sale just to know if things are working. Correct, I know the traffic really needs to jump up for higher Amazon sales.

5. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Are you getting click throughs to Amazon with no conversion to sales, or nothing at all?  If no one is even clicking through it could indicate a problem, but if they are, I would think the account is functioning and people simply aren't buying.

Consider that if 95% don't click and of the 5% that do only 5% buy, you won't have many sales with those traffic figures (and I'm pulling numbers out of my hat, so don't go by them - just the concept).

Yes, I don't think any clicks are coming through. I'd be happy with a 1% conversion to sales. My Adsense right now is about <number snipped, violation of AdSense policy>% CTR.

6. Don Simkovich profile image60

Thanks for all the replies. I'll double check my ID. There are no click throughs to my Amazon site, even though my Google Adsense is continually increasing in revenue.

7. Don Simkovich profile image60

My one product Hub on massage lotion has had over 1,500 page views - most from search engines and not one sale although I made $2.00 on it from Adsense yesterday.

Just FYI.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don, I looked at your coffee maker hub and see nothing at all wrong at that end - the amazon capsule even clicks through to the proper place.  It would seem to me that it about has to be the Amazon end with a problem of some kind. 

All I can think of is to check your tracking ID and the "signed in as" ID very carefully.  It sure seems that you should be getting something coming through.  Maybe someone else has been getting the credit for your sales!

Alright, I will look at the traffic ID. I found I did have 6 clicks from Jan 2010 to today. But that seems unusually low.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

when you sign into your amazon account, over on the top left, you'll see your tracking code. it has to match what you have here at HP exactly.

2. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Again, check what keywords your entrance traffic is using.  Massage is one of those words which is completely innocent but can attract the wrong kind of traffic!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  I would never have thought of that! Good point .lol

Thanks, thisisoli, I have checked via hubpages and some of the keywords do include the same words in the title and there are also keywords for the types of massage oils shown.

But I have the same issue with the other product Hubs like buying shower caddies online and my one on spinbrushes.

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I peeked at your links, a non-hubpage id appears in your amazon links (Yours)

Seems like all is well on the technological end - just got to tweak and get more visitors looking to buy with their wallets in their hands - thats the rub

Thanks, sunforged. Wow, how could you tell about my non-hubpage id? I am still a bit surprised that I didn't make even one sale on the massage lotion and oil hub.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you hover over one of your ads, the address shows up in the bottom right corner of your screen. you will see your code or HP code.

9. Anesidora profile image60
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

Yeah it took me months and months to get my first amazon sale, another month or so to start getting daily sales, and I still have a bunch of product hubs which have never worked out. Some products or product areas just don't sell well on the web, or the market is too overflooded.

10. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Keep trying is the best dvice I can give.  If I were you I would take another look at those earnings around christmas time!

11. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Hi Don, I looked at your college football sales hub. What I would suggest is that you take one thing and give variations of it.  So for example if you want to feature a football item, choose one thing.  Concentrate on say, football jackets and feature all the college football jackets in one grouping.  Have text about your predictions of the college football season then feature say the Top 10 in the Big East.  You might do a hub like that and see if that gets more responses.

Hi Flightkeeper, I agree with you. I didn't really expect to make Amazon sales on that particular Hub. I was thinking about writing about some of the top teams specifically.

I did a Hub on Spin toothbrushes and shower caddies. I felt those were more specific.

Here's one of my thoughts: Adsense may be more of an impulse and easier to click on for folks since Amazon requires getting out the credit card.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't think it's really an impulse buy, people look at stuff on Amazon to see if it's cheaper or difficult to get.  You should take a look at Nelle Hoxie's hubs, she's great when it comes to sales hubs.

I think you're going in the right direction when you concentrate on the top teams.

Yeah, thanks. I have looked at Nellie's and I've been writing more product-specific Hubs like buying shower caddies online and the toothbrush one. The shower caddies Hub, I got a lot of keywords on dorm shower caddies around late July and early Aug but no Amazon sales. I'll bet if I only had dorm shower caddies featured then there would have been at least one sale. I'm just surprised I've only made one Amazon sale.

You're right, the more specific the better.

12. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

It could be you are not being specific enough in encouraging the sale. This doesn't mean you have to lie or be over the top, or even not point out the flaws in a product. I have a lot of specifically targeted hubs for Amazon, and I make regular sales from about 60% of them. I do my best to be honest with a prospective buyer, because as a buyer myself, I don't want hype, but rather to make as an informed choice as possible.

You do need to pick your keywords carefully once you find a product though, and have a look at how many people are searching and how many pages you are competing with as well. It could be that you are picking products or keywords which are really competitive.

I'm going to be a naysayer here and say you can make regular sales from hubs which get 10-20 hits a day. Most of mine have around that, and I get 1-2 sales a month from most of the ones that get above 10 hits a day. I have a couple with significantly higher traffic that I get relatively fewer sales from. Go figure.

I am already having a record month with Amazon, and on track to get around $250 in sales, double that of last month. And my sales have been steadily increasing every month, not stagnating or decreasing. The one difference I've seen of late is that I have been doing a lot of backlinking, which is just starting to reap some benefits.

Also, I will add that you will have failures and hubs that despite your research, just don't perform. I have quite a few, and in retrospect I can see some of the mistakes I've made, and how my research was flawed when I wrote them. But these hubs have made me better when I've written the next, and then the next.

To an extent it is a numbers game, both with having enough articles and getting enough traffic to convert to sales and in the right areas. You'll only get this with experimentation. But you do have to ask for the sale. It's all passive vs active selling.

Yes, I'll re-write my product Hubs to make sure I'm asking for the sale. The old "call to action."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)