Ok so I made a bunch of hubs testing the waters. Now what?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Mikeydoes profile image42
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I am okay at writing and can go way more in depth then I have, however I am not sure it is necessary to have a good profitable hub. I only do things that are fun to me, but I was just wondering about a couple things.

1.) I am suggesting links using the suggested links in hubpages, now I knows its supposed to be beneficial if done like 6 times. But my question is when I suggest a link is that link always going to be there and does it screw me out of money if that is the only time I have that phrase? So if i suggest sausage pizza, what does that exactly mean for me? If a better offer comes along does it switch automatically to make me more money?

2.) I'm up for any constructive criticism that you can offer. I plan on updating my hubs as much as possible. I just actually started this yesterday(wrote a couple hubs for fun the few days before). Any tips that you can give me that you did that immediately made a difference?

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I've asked to have this post moved to the Extreme Hub Makeover forum. You can post links to the hub(s) you would like critiqued. It's a bit much asking us to look at 14 hubs, ya know. smile

That said, are there any in particular you want us to look at?

Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope, I more or less wasn't worried about that. I was worried about how I maximize my page with that first question I asked, I'm not sure how the licks work. Do they just show up without asking me. When I suggest links will the links I suggest be the ones making me the money?

3. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

clicks on your amazon & adsense adds are what makes money.  You want to keep people on your hub...content is king! smile

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Eventually you would want to replace those suggested links with links to relevant hubpages that you have written....I know that suggested links are supposed to be for other hubbers hubpages as that's what it was intended for as a community linkback tool, but I generally don't want traffic going elsewhere unless I am genuinely recommending a better hubpage than mine (Which I do frequently!!)

Amazon, Ebay (If you can apply for it that is!!) and Adsense will all generate income around your content if the content helps convert actions into income, ie: a click or a purchase!

You might either want to do two things....

1.) Write way more hubpages and measure the results, say 3 - 6 months down the line, or....

2.) Decide whether what you already have is good enough for you to earn an income and start to promote and backlink your hubpage articles over a longer period of time....

I'd always go with the first one though, as the more you write, the more you'll be able to work things out and measure your success against learning how it all fits together.....

Hope you stay around awhile!

Cheers!

Very helpful thanks. I haven't made an amazon account and I don't have my own web page is that a problem?

1. waynet profile image68
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it might be an idea to focus on adsense earnings first and then apply for an Amazon account once you have a few more hubpages behind you or you could add an affiliate link from Clickbank to fill the gap, this is what I did way back when I started and I had to have a website or a decent amount of hubpages...Ebay is the same, you need to have a website or something that you own really to get approved.

It all falls into place though....

I'm kind of picking up everything on the fly. I have to find out how to backlink then, any tips I have 2 or 3 hubs I would actually think about spending time on.

1. rb11 profile image65
              rb11posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Backlinks (incoming links) are called off page SEO. Links coming from other HUBS will be considered on page (internal) SEO. This is because they are under the same site. IE..hubpages.com/fish - hubpages.com/goldfish, etc. All these links are under the url Hubpages.com

If you want your hubs to rank and have a chance to make money focus on keywords and backlinks. This will eventually translate into traffic.

4. KnowledgeSpeaks profile image58
    KnowledgeSpeaksposted 13 years ago

Ranking well with Google will bring in more traffic to your hub and therefore more opportunities for clicks on the adsense ads. HOWEVER, I think you need to have a personal hubscore of 75 before hubpages actually allows your hubs out for ranking. It looks like I'm about where you are in terms of hubscore, so I'm playing the waiting game myself. The hubscore threshold used to be 50, not it is 75.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Hi Mikey, I think you're a little confused so here goes:

AFFILIATES- You make money off these as long as you have them linked to your affiliates page. You need to apply and get approved then link them in your affiliates page, otherwise all the adverts that show will give 100% of the clicks to hubpages. Just apply for Amazon and Adsense to start with. (Google adsense, once linked, automatically shows adverts on all hubs 60% of the time. You need to insert Amazon products yourself, using the Amazon capsule.)
    SUGGEST LINKS- You seem to think you can make money off these. You can't. In fact this is a rather new feature that I personally don't use. Basically you're sending people to another user's hub. You want to keep a viewer on your page as long as possible, so they are more likely to buy or click adverts.
    BACKLINKS- Is any link pointing to your page(Google is impressed by the more links pointing to your page.) However I wouldn't worry about these too much just yet, since Hubpages is an authority site and ranks well in google without a lot of promotion. I do have a hub on my profile page that explains backlinks.

Per your hubs:

I see three main problems-
    LENGTH- Some of your hubs are very short, meaning that they don't have much quality content. Google prefers at least some length so I'd try for a minimum of 400 and even 600 words on your hubs. Anywhere up to 1500 words is great.
    TEXT- Try breaking up your hubs into text capsules - one paragraph per capsule. Also use dot points, number lists as well as bold, italics and underline to point out important parts. When a user visits your hub chances are they'll read the first line and then balk at reading through all the information just to find the answer they want. Make it into digestible pieces - you can also insert things like photos, polls, videos etc to break it up.
    NEWS- Some of your hubs are based on news items. This isn't a great idea because by the time you rank well with those hubs (a hub can take 6-9 months to start getting good traffic and earn a decent amount), it will be old news that no one is searching. Try to write evergreen hubs - for instance writing about 'Types of sedans' is an evergreen hub which will continue to build in traffic while 'Sedans made in 2010' is a one of and will probably fall in traffic.

Otherwise you're doing well for a new hubber. Keep up the good work!

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

WryLilt's advice is spot on, it's worth following!

7. Mikeydoes profile image42
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Do your keywords need to be in your hub? Or just as long as it is about the subject it doesn't matter?

1. rb11 profile image65

The keyword(s) your trying to rank for need to be in your Hub. The general rule is 1 keyword per 150 words. Some even say you should bold your keyword, I have no evidence that this has any significant impact on how Google looks at this.

thanks you've been really helpful, what happens when you put to many?

1. rb11 profile image65

It can be considered "stuffing" but, for example, your keyword is debt reduction. Then you start to sprinkle longer phrases in you hub like personal debt reduction, or debt reduction for widows, whatever relates to your target audience. You can consider these secondary keywords. You have the core keyword "debt reduction" plus the other longer versions. If every sentence has "debt reduction" only, then Google might knock your rating down a peg or two. This on site keyword stuff is about 20-25% of ranking factors, backlinks is pretty much the big dog at this time for rankings.

ya, I see people talking about buying programs and stuff, I'm not sure I'm going to do to get my stuff backlinked yet.

1. WryLilt profile image88
              WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If your content is high quality it will backlink itself - organic backlinks from people who visit and like it.

Mikey, do you know how to use the google keyword tool to find appropriate keywords, check their traffic and the approximate amount they pay?

Yeah, I've been using it, probably not using it to its full potential, but it really helped.

1. WryLilt profile image88
                  WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok, as long as you click on 'exact' not broad. Exact gives you the exact terms being searched into google, giving you a better idea of what to rank for.

thank you

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)