Stolen writing

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)
  1. poetvix profile image55
    poetvixposted 13 years ago

What do you suggest...
    Someone copied my article off my Hub page, posted it elsewhere, and did not give me credit for having writen it but rather presented it as his own.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

First of all I'd recommend trying to contact the author.

If that doesn't work try and contact the owners of the site, if it's not owned by the author.

After that you can file a complaint with google.

I've never had to file a complaint with google so I'll let some of the hubbers who've had work copied answer any questions you have about that. big_smile

Good luck!

poetvixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I have left a comment for the person who posted it to email me as I have no other way of reaching said person.  I have tried several times to contact Triond but it won't allow me to send the email for it won't accept the security image I am typing which I have tried every way I can think how.  I even had someone else try it.  He could not get it to accept either.  I do thank you for the advice.

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok, true, good point.

Have taken the link off.

1. profile image0

WryLilt I'm glad that you agree. I have removed my post, meaning that what's-his-name's link no longer appears here.

Poetvix, you are welcome. This can be a distressing experience, and there are many forum discussions about that. It may take a few days to get it solved, but in the end you will probably prevail.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

There is a formal procedure where the host may have a legal obligation to take down material when a complaint is filed. The other side of the issue is that hosts are usually not liable for copied content, as long as they take it down once a DMCA complaint has been filed. DMCA means Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

Here is a link to the instructions for filing a DMCA with HubPages. Note that you cannot file your complaint with HubPages, so this is just to give you an idea of how it works.

http://hubpages.com/help/copyright_infringement

Thank you for the tip.  I have emailed the Hub already.  I truly am grateful for your advice as this is not a fun situation to be in.  Perhaps tomorrow I can figure this out better but right now I seem to be at a loss as to what to do further.
      I don't blame the host at all.  How was the site to know?  I am more than a little annoyed at the individual but, I guess thats life sometimes.
      Thanks again.

4. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Put their details up here as well so other hubbers can check the depth of the problem and in that way you can help us help you. smile
    What happens also is that this thread is posted ... which means that their details are public and therefore others on the net can see them as a cheater also.

1. profile image0

Someone could actually do that to harm their competitors or someone they dislike for whatever reason. And you, my dear fellow jurist, what do you think of the possible legal implications such as libel, slander, defamation and the like?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing slanderous about reporting the facts especially when supported by a DMCA that also serves the purpose of establishing the claim based on a proven date.

The fact that others may make libelous comments on the net is a different situation... and one that all of us are exposed to whether we like it or not.  That's why I only deal with facts when I make direct or indirect reference to others!

I'm sure some of my references to the crooked movers and shakers of BumbleTown could be considered by some of them to be conveniently incorrect. But I always deliver the facts and MY Reputation is based on that!
        Where does the burden of proof lie? hmm

I see both sides of this.  I have to lean towards showing truth to the world.  If this person would take my write, a boring, fact based write, from a non-professional, how many other writes might he/she have taken in the past?  Note, I say might as this is my opinion only.  I do not wish to be liable for slander in our ever increasingly sue happy social climate.

Is it not sad that we have become so politically correct we have to stop and think about how to say the truth?  Perhaps that is part of what is wrong in the world today.  When the truth must be termed in such a way as to not risk offending anyone it looses power.  Just a thought.

2. WryLilt profile image88

Poetvix has written a hub about the problem, anyway.

3. poetvix profile image55

I have the details in the Hub I wrote on it last night.  It is not a stellar Hub by any means but a link to the "copy" of my work in included.  I just do not understand why someone would do such a thing.  I mean seriously, he/she/it could write their own work!

5. Missing Link profile image69
    Missing Linkposted 13 years ago

I had this happen recently.  I agree with all the DMCA, etc. stuff already mentioned. 

I contacted the site in question.  They were really slow to get back to me.  It was posted without assigning any author name at all.  I think they were using it as one of many stolen to try to generate google adsense clicks? 

I used the soft spoken gentle approach and it worked.  They took my stolen article off their site.

Even though you are the victim you want to approach cautiously etc at first.  If you don't things could get much worse as they might be jerks beyond comprehension.

I was lucky I guess.  I didn't even know my article had been stolen until my hub here was flagged for duplicate content.

Sorry.

Best wishes per this annoying situation--I know how you feel!

I am grateful for your sage advice and good wishes.  Thank you.  I still can't seem to get through the email security question so I created my own account there and posted the issue to their questions section.  Hopefully they will respond as the person who "copied" it has not answered my comment...
      BTW... mine is the only comment.  Lol, you would think if someone was going to take something they could take something that would attract more comments...hehe.

6. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Thanks Pearldiver, I think this clarification was very helpful and I'm in agreement with you.

7. poetvix profile image55

I would like to take this opportunity to publically thank the Hub team. 
    I emailed about my problem and while they can not really address it as it is not posted here, they have really helped.  They forwarded the email to the host site that I could not contact which I am very thankful for.  Further, they gave me some good advice about what to do now, what to do if that does not work and the links to the sites I need to talk to.  What more can we ask for?

Thank you so much Hub team...
    YOU ROCK!

Of course I have not heard back from anyone other than the Hub team.  See guys and gals, another kudo for the Hub, quick response times.

1. Dave Barnett profile image56
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I  would like to create hard copy of my stuff. Can I? Then, you could besubmitting it for true copyright protection. I was musing about this just the other day. Just concerned, because I have experience with plagiarists.

1. profile image0

There are international copyright protection services that will give you full and immediate protection via online submission. You simply upload the file for their archives, no need to make a hardcopy.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Protecting-Your-Copyright

1. Dave Barnett profile image56
          Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thnx. Appr the att.and info

2. poetvix profile image55

Thanks bunches Website Examiner for the link.  I will be putting this to use every time I do a new write from now on!

3. WryLilt profile image88

Interesting, I did not realize there was such a site. I may put this to use in future!

8. poetvix profile image55

RESOLUTION -  I got an email from Triond this morning and they have removed the article.  Thank you all for being so helpful and supportive through this drama of ickyness. 
    I am very glad Triond fixed it and notified me of such but you know... I still want to hear from the person who took my work in the first place.  Is that too much to wish for?  Most likely it is but I do.
    Thanks to all of you for all of your support and suggestions.  Hubbers are the best!

1. Missing Link profile image69
      Missing Linkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am glad they had the decency to remove it.  I would not pursue the agressor as they may cause additional problems for you---they might steal more or all of you stuff if you pursue them.  Hopefully the agressor will move on to other things and never bother you again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)