My hub has been copied on someones blog

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (120 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image86
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Well I guess there is a first time for everything. Someone copied my hub on Is California Going Bankrupt? They copied the whole thing, word for word without credit or where it came from. So I'm going to have to file a complaint I guess. I've had other hubs copied in forums but they were being discussed, and the link back here was given.
    Sigh.....

1. FoursX2 profile image59
      FoursX2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Dorsi,
      Theft of intellectual property is very much like stealing someone's thoughts.  A very personal invasion.  Where was your work posted and how did you discover the theft?

2. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this
    3. Princessa profile image83
      Princessaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dorsi, I am happy you solved your problem.

I've just noticed that I have the same problem with my "How to marry a millionaire" hub! it has been copied word by word including pictures and videos in here:
      http://red-page.blogspot.com/2009/02/ho … mment-form

.......arggg it is so annoying! I have asked the blogger to remove the article before I fill in a complaint.  I hope he does it.

1. TKIMWRSVC profile image61
        TKIMWRSVCposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow Princessa other than that first sentence with a few extra words it appears the same. Even the same image used too. Darn forward of them

4. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Did you complain HERE ?

5. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to hear from people who think this is wrong, as I do, but have no qualms about copying music or movies instead of buying them.

2. laringo profile image60
    laringoposted 15 years ago

Dorsi, how do you find out when your work has been stolen?

3. crashcromwell profile image67
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

I think the thief should be exposed and should suffer the consequences. I would be curious to know how you found out about this.

Jim Henry

1. Dorsi profile image86
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have a thing on my hubs that tells me if my work has been copied. I don't think we all have it. It flags you and lets you know if there is a duplicate copy out there, and then it shows the link and who copied it, then you have the option to file a complaint, which I will do.
      That's just plain wrong to steal someones writing, and what was especially surprising is that most of my hubs tend to be in a conversationalist style, which comes from my own mouth, so the person is not only copying it but is pretending to be me!!!!!!!!!
      That's what really irks me!!!!!

1. crashcromwell profile image67
        crashcromwellposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Is this something that is standard through hubpages, or did you find it elsewhere? I would really like to know if this has happened to me before. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it's still worth using all the tools available to us.

Jim Henry

2. packerpack profile image60
        packerpackposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Dorsi, I too checked it ...... it's Gone Gona Gone !!!!! and seeing that your first post came just 22hours back, the action was taken really fast.

But there is one thing I would like to know. As quoted above, can you please share with us "that thing" which you have on your hub so that even we will be able to trace if someone copies our Hub contents? One more thing could you please list down the steps you took to nail down the culprit? It would be great help for everybody around here.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I see it on my account page, it's a little copyright symbol beside the title of your hub. The ones I have are ones i had published myself. I didn't realize that I wrote a recipe twice that was almost word for word, one showed up from a forum post!

1. packerpack profile image60
            packerpackposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You mean to say, that copyright symbol will appear when someone copies my Hub or else the title on My account page will appear as a simple link? So that means I don't have to do anything for "that thing". It has already been put in place for me by Hubpages?

And what about the steps that Dorsi took to nail that blog? Hope Dorsi you are listening!

If you click on the article with the copyright mark it will show you where the article is duplicated so you can check it out.

4. Paul Profitt profile image68
    Paul Profittposted 15 years ago

If you found your article on somebody else's website, then this is great news because you have written an interesting and informative article. If you want to make sure that you get the proper credit for your article.

Then I suggest  that you submit it to a article directory first, and then hub pages after. You also can publish it on your blog and ping it to the various search engines online.

By the way if somebody copies your article on to their website or blog then this is a one way link back to you. VERY good for your search engine rankings, providing that you make sure that  that YOU have more backlinks pointing to your article than them.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dorsi - this is horrible advice, as I am sure you know. smile

1. Paul Profitt profile image68
        Paul Profittposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why is it horrible advice?

You are obviously one of those people who is in love with their own writing. I had a look at your hub called  "How I got my hub to be on Google's first page"

You don't seem to understand why your hub is ranked so highly, you probably think it's because of your brilliant and original writing.

If you do then your "WRONG"

Your hub is ranked so highly because it was written on hubpages.

Hubpages has a high page rank of around 7 therfore anyone who writes for them has a much better than average chance of getting their article on the first page of Google search results.

Google decides which website, blog, or hub page is ranked number one by the amount of one way BACKLINKS it has pointing to it, and not by how well a page on a website or hub is written.

You get one way back links by allowing others to use your content on their blog or webpage
        with a link back to your own website or blog.

The only people who will benefit from all of your original content in the long run is hubpages because they rely on people like you to keep them high in Google search results.

If you write for hubpages for pleasure, then carry on writing your original content, but if you have your own blog or website that you want to earn a living from then you must re-distribute your content.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
          Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Depend upon what you are here for - for a professional writer, article sites are a no go. You effectively give up the copyright and ownership for the article.

It is not 'Great' news when an article is stolen - it is theft.

So what do you want me to do, call the POLICE!

I've got news for you,  you gave up your rights and ownership to your work the moment you decided to publish it online. If you really believe that hubpages will protect you from copywrite theft then you are dreaming,

As for what I'm here for, well it's to share my life experiences online and teach and learn from other people who I think has something worth while to say.

I'm not here to cry and moan about trivial things like "MY ARTICLE BEEN STOLEN" and I'm not here to win friends by going to their hubs and saying how wonderful their articles are just so they might come back to mine and say the same.

Don't patronise me - that is not 'News' - it is falsehood.

Hubpages does not protect me from copyright theft - I protect myself, and I am fully aware of the relevant laws.

Nope - work online is still protected by copyright law. I write for a living, so theft of work is not trivial, and it is not moaning. Somebody stealing my work is also stealing my property and livelihood. You seem to be under the assumption that I am here to win 'friends' and 'nice comments.' In fact, I am here to attract customers and make a living.

You are a marketer - Fair enough. Some of us are not, and freelance for a living - that is a big difference.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

This is rubbish. Giving away the rights to my writing by doing this would devalue me and my writing.

And every word I wrote in my hub was true. Of course I am aware of hubpages authority. But if you think an article used in an article directory and then published here would compete with my original hub - be my guest. smile I just wrote that any did nothing else. Which means you are WRONG ! lol

Your advice to Dorsi to publish the entire article elsewhere and then publish it here is bad advice for many reasons. Not least of which is the fact that hubpages penalize this.

And as for submitting work to article directories and then competing with them....... smile I guess this depends on whether you are a writer or an internet marketer. Dorsi was upset that her work was stolen with no credit.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and one of those ways is to write interesting, original, unique content and allow links to grow organically.

I already had this argument when I wrote that hub. If you had bothered to read How I got my hub on google's first page and the comments you would know that the hub in question is 2008 Motorcycle Guide.

Once you have outranked that hub for all the search terms it succeeds with, feel free to post a link here and I will be duly impressed.

I am quite capable of protecting myself thank you. And you are talking about a completely different thing to Dorsi's original issue.

Not a big fan of reading anything I take it?

What search terms 2008 Motorcycle- Guide means nothing because you have used a search term that nobody is looking for,  unless they read it on hubpages it will never be found.

I am a fan of reading anything by anybody who has something worth while to say. I am not interested in blindly following people like yourself,  who think that just because you have a few fans on hubpages, that your word should be listened to and obeyed.

Like I said - read it and the comments. I have detailed what search terms and the levels of traffic it and the other hubs I wrote around it receive. Not really sure what you are trying to do here. Persuade everyone you are a genius internet marketer with no manners? lol

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful way of thinking Paul Profitt. I think I'll drive by your place, and if I like your car, I'll come in and take it.
      This will be great news for you, because it means that you have chosen a car that someone else likes!

Yes, if the article IS PUBLISHED WITH THE INTENTION OF DISTRIBUTION WITH A RESOURCE BOX.
      Here are the main points of Dorsi's message. You obviously didn't read them.
      THE CREEP WHO STOLE DORSI'S ARTICLE CLAIMED IT AS THEIR OWN. THERE WAS NO LINK BACK TO DORSI.

I've also had my work stolen. It's not nice.

Eric G.

1. Dorsi profile image86

No it's not nice at all. I've removed my comment from their blog and am going to contact the google team and file a complaint. This happens to be one of my hot hubs and it's going to get hotter as Cali gets closer to running out of money ( which is any day now unfortunately)
        This will affect the hub traffic and that pisses me off.

1. profile image0
          shinujohn2008posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dorsi i think you should contact the person who copied by commenting on that blog. This will pressure him to delete the post immediately.

If you go the DMCA way, it will take a long time to get a solution and this way the blog post may get high search engine rankings and your hub will drop down.

Even if the persons adsense account is disabled by google, he may not delete the blog post and he will abandon his blog and it will remain in that way and continue to get ranked in search results. (All of us know that Adsense is not a criteria to get ranked in Search Engines)

So it is better to get the post removed from that site immediately and this will give his page a 404 error page not found which will put his results down and your hub up.

1. Dorsi profile image86

Thanks- I think I may repost a comment there where they stole it- because right now my hub is #1 first page of google if you search " is california going bankrupt".

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree with this advice.  As someone else said, if you make a negative comment directly on someone's blog, you never know if they might get nasty (there are crazy people out there!).  I've twice filed a DMCA, once with Yahoo (about Answers) and once with Blogger and got fast results - it's not true that they just ban the person and leave the post up, it gets removed.

2. Paul Profitt profile image68

Theft is theft. Just because something appears on the web does not make it free for the taking. It has nothing at all to do with "getting real." You are actually the one who needs to grow up.

I am grown up, which is why I dont cry or moan (unlike yourself) about trivial things like HELP MY ARTICLE BEEN STOLEN!  "CALL THE POLICE"

Sorry, but I don't find theft a trivial thing.Let someone try and steal an article from one of the big online magazines and see how trivial it is. They may very well end up having to deal with the police.

2. Dorsi profile image86

Stealing someones work without asking is not trivial. Just because it's online doesn't mean it's free for the taking. Yes it's free for the reading but not free to be used by someone else pretending to be you. That is called being an imposter- and I did not feel good about someone else pretending to be me, and using what I wrote as their own personal words.

If you did some artwork, left it in the yard for people to view and enjoy on your property, then someone came along and decided to take it, move it down the street to their yard and display it, would you be alright with that?

3. LondonGirl profile image81
              LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You've changed your tune rather. You started off by saying it was a Good Thing, now you are saying it's a Bad Thing, but don't whinge.

I have not changed my tune. read the thread again and you will see that I  have nothing against people using my content with or without my permission. Everybody else is moaning about that people who use their content without permission are stealing.

That is because they ARE stealing. wink

5. Janet21 profile image79
    Janet21posted 15 years ago

Sorry to hear that. 

I have had that happen to posts on my birthday blog.  Not a good feeling.

6. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

OK Dorsi - is the site their own domain or is it an article shareing site or blogger. If its their own domain you can use this tool http://whois.domaintools.com/ to find out who owns it and then file a DMCIA complaint asking them to take it down - it apparently works.

With the copyright check tool thingy it will try to tell you who to contact on the site if it can find it - I find the article directory owners will respond to a simple request and a point out of your original url

If you want the SEO benefit of having a link back to your article - you need them to delete most of the article and link to you using an anchor with your keywords e.g. Californian bankruptcy  or similar - most a-holes won't do that in my experience

This is a pretty good article about how to pursue copyright issues - hope that you nail the thieving swine.

http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/04/10 … /#identify

7. Dorsi profile image86
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

So this is the blogger that stole my article. It looks like they have several other posts, probably taken from someone else too. So should I make a comment ( which they will probably delete) or file a complaint, or ??????

http:// newlifestylemagazine.blogspot.com/

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

file a dmcia - with blogspot (which is google) - they will probably get deleted
      oh and they are running Adsense - report them to Adsense too - different branch of google hopefully their adsense ID will get shut down too

I wouldn't threaten on their blog directly - they may get vindictive - just report them

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Very good advice.

I also agree with Mark on the other advice. It is very bad advice.

2. Dorsi profile image86

Ah Crud Lissie, I did just post it on their blog. I hope they don't get stupid. At least I have a paper trail now.

8. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Oh and they don't have a privacy policy page as required by Adsense TOS - might as well mention that to Adsense as well !

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lissie, that's already covered here http://www.blogger.com/privacy

9. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 15 years ago

Sorry this had to happen but I have read about it happening. Following this thread has been informative for me and has provided good resources. Absolutely file a complaint and, at the same time, contact the blog owner and ask them to provide credit.

10. Lupo profile image61
    Lupoposted 15 years ago

Hi Dorsi.

I think this post is a great resource for handling someone stealing your content.

http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/04/10 … r-content/

Dave

1. Dorsi profile image86

Thanks David for the wonderful link. Here is what I wrote to the blogger as a comment:

This is to advise you that you are using copyrighted and protected material on your website/blog. Your illegal use of this article is originally from my website/blog http://hubpages.com/hub/Is-California-Going-Bankrupt . This is original content and I am the author and copyright holder. Use of copyright protected material without permission is illegal under copyright laws.

Please take one or more of the following actions immediately:

* Re-write the post to include excerpts with a link to the original content.
      * Credit the material specifically to me, as author, and my website [be specific].
      * Provide compensation for use of my copyright protected material of $500.00 USD paid via [payment method].
      * Remove the plagiarized material immediately.

I expect a response within 5 days to this issue. Thank you for your immediate action on this matter.

-Dorsi Diaz

11. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Even the one time someone copied my work and linked back to me I was not happy about it.  Personally I would have liked the person to ask, and I would have said no of course.

12. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image71
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years ago

Everything on that blog is stolen.

Stolen

Original

Stolen

Original

Etc...

1. Dorsi profile image86

OHHHH!!! What a blatant ripoff!! I haven't been this mad in awhile!!

1. WHoArtNow profile image81
        WHoArtNowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah that's really annoying.

It happened to me on a few things last week. What's really annoying about it was they didn't just rip off 3 of my articles (world for word, image for image) they also stole some of my artwork and was trying to sell it.

I'm more mad about the artwork as he was trying to make a living off our artwork.

Issued a DMCA take down notice, they claimed that as they were based in Nigeria (scammers anyone?) that they didn't recognise the DMCA's authority. So I contacted their server (UK company who do recognise DMCA) and had them close the site.

It's amazing how fast a hosting company will close a small time site when they here the magic words "law suit"

Sadly, it will always happen, as long as their are people who want to make money for doing hardly any work. You have to be vigilant and use sites like Copyscape.

2. TKIMWRSVC profile image61
      TKIMWRSVCposted 15 years agoin reply to this

All the stuff marked stolen is gone. Which is good

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image71
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If anybody else has any trouble just let me know and I'll get right on it.

13. Lifebydesign profile image64
    Lifebydesignposted 15 years ago

Hey Dorsi, I really have no practical advice except my commiserations! That really sucks. I hope you get this sorted, and thanks for posting - lost of good advice here which will be helpful if I'm ever in that situation.

14. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I can't give you any helpful advice, just wanted to sympathise, it must be dead annoying!

Throw the book at them, with all the other comments' helpful advice on how to do so.

15. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I'm sorry that happened to you. It seems like anything that gets up there in the ratings gets stolen after awhile. I've had good experiences complaining at sites like Squidoo and others that care, but sometimes it's hard to even figure out how to contact anyone. It's especially annoying because it means anything that gets a lot of hits has a "shelf life" that's limited by theft. You'd like a hub to kind of last once it starts performing.

16. rmshdc profile image57
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

points discussed here are very useful in one way or the other.  Though I feel bad that someone is taking your writting without giving you the credit.

BTW, if I create a hub ona subject then, I post the same content in my own website, - will this amount to DUPLICATE HUB by hubpages?  Will there be any penality in points or ranking!

17. BDazzler profile image79
    BDazzlerposted 15 years ago

I've testified as an expert witness in a software copyright violation case.  In my case, my client really was innocent.  When I was hired I told my agent that if the guy was guilty, I'd say that, too, and that was fine.

It was obvious to anybody in my field, the software wasn't only "not copied" but not even close to the same. It should have been a frivoulus case. But, my clients opponents had deep pockets and hired someone else who had more letters after their name, to say "it was possible" ...  There was definintely a presumption of guilt. Quite frustrating for my truly innocent client.  The judge had to balance two conflicting expert opinions.

The point of the story is this ... a judge should have NO problem seeing the copyright vioiation of  your work "plain english" work.  If you get a good lawyer, name the blog author, the guy's web host, his ISP, his mother and his dog as co-defendents, you will likely get satsifcation.

(Then, as a negotiation tactic, offer to drop the mother and the dog, for a big settlement.)

If you really want to get mean, get the feds involved and charge them with violation of digital mellinal copyright act.

Great advice, BDazzler.

What a stupid case - as long as the defendant can prove that they put 'unique input and effort' into the project, there is no violation.

Work is automatically copyright protected as soon as it is published but, if it is very important, consider registering it with the appropriate national body. That way, if you do end up going down the legal route, you are entitled to claim for damages and costs. This can be a large sum of money, and most such cases are settled long before they reach the courtroom!

1. BDazzler profile image79
        BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, in this case, the Plantiff's actual goal was to bankrupt my client.  I was more upset by the supposed "expert" on the other side of the aisle who really had whored himself out.   I guess I kind of expected it from lawyers, but this guy was a university professor.

I hope that you punched him in the back of the head afterwards. wink

Well, future me, you should know wink

lol

I forgot to warn you, Past Me.

You will become a little traumatised after the 'Duck Incident' and suffer bouts of memory loss.   wink

Write everything down on Post-It notes, like the guy out of the film 'Memento.' In fact, tattooing your name across your forehead may be wise. smile

18. Dorsi profile image86
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

HAHA!! The blog has been removed!! That was fast!!! Yes, justice has been served!!!!
    I put a comment on there that she was using my copyright protected article and that it needed to be removed immediately, and I just checked and the whole blog is GONE!!! Yes!!!!

Good for you! Still ... Federal court could have been fun, too. big_smile

2. profile image0
      multimasteryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Justice has been served!  Good 4 U!

19. TKIMWRSVC profile image61
    TKIMWRSVCposted 15 years ago

Look like that red-spot blog borrowed their home security article too I think
    Not 100% convinced, but pretty likely I think based on a google search

20. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 15 years ago

Just going through all of this for a second time, only this time it is on my "Losing Your Virginity" Hub. It has been published again on Flixya word for word, picture for picture. I have left a comment on the article itself on Flixya warning the publisher to unpublish it, and why, plus also complaining to the site, and letting hubpages know why my hub is not "Duplicate Content", (as this is how I found out about it after I saw the red text on the "My Account" page under that hub title).

It is worth mentioning that to find where the copied hub has been used, copy a reasonably large section of the text that is fairly unique, paste it into a Yahoo or Google search engine box, and you should find your hub, (plus wherever else the text has been used) comes up in the results list. Now you will know what site to complain to about your copied content.

Very annoying as not only were no credit or backlinks given to me, but this person also had already had one positive comment back from a person who had read the article thinking it was written by this person. I took the liberty of contacting the person who had commented, thanked them for the positive feedback, and explained the article was a complete copy of my work, and that to read more of my word they could go to my profile page..... and gave the link.

21. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 15 years ago

My Original Hub http://hubpages.com/hub/Losing-Your-Virginity

The Copied Hub http://www.flixya.com/post/wuyou178/120 … Virginity!

This really makes me totally mad!! It is as if they have stolen my life, as it is about MY life, NOT theirs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Don't get mad, get even - report them to flixya.com.  Oh, and edit your comment so they don't get the benefit of a live link!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I had already reported them to Flixya before I posted this, and I deliberately left the actual link so people could see it was a total copy of mine, plus, if they wished, they could leave a comment on the article that was the copy pointing out to her how dispicable it was to copy other people's work. Thanks Marisa for the advice though smile smile smile

2. Cris A profile image60
      Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I checked it out Cindy and true enough there it was, and I saw your comment, too! Too bad there's no flagging option!

22. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

That's the same place that one of my hubs was copied to, Cindy.  I reported it to the site and it was removed less than 24 hours later.  They acted on it immediately, no problems at all.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Shirley, that is comforting to know smile

1. Shirley Anderson profile image72
        Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I suspect that flixya gets quite a few of these types of complaints.

You'd think that a thief would at least use different pictures and links.  Guess they're lazy thieves.

23. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I'm not going to feed this troll any more.

24. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

So I guess if someone took all your articles, posted them to 100 places online without giving you credit and took any links out so it wouldn't benefit you in the least, you would be fine with that?

I would not have a problem with that because I distribute my articles to many other article directories which means that they are all already ranked highly in Google search results with all of my links intact.

There is a good chance that their are many people who are already using my work without giving any credit to me,  that is the chance you take when you decide to put your content online.

Wrong again - I am pretty sure that if I copied the content from Microsoft's website and used it on my own, that I would have some serious legal heat coming my way. If you choose to use article sites, no problem, but do not assume that everybody is online for the same reason as you. Throwing around accusations of 'moaning' and giving out inappropriate advice really does not help your cause.

For the rest of us, copyright infringements are serious. One of my clients pays me to write articles. Why should somebody be able to steal the content from his site and use it without paying? It is theft, pure and simple.

There is no chance taken by publishing online - if somebody steals content, the laws protect the copyright holder, and thousands of successful prosecutions back this up. The fact that the work is available on the internet is irrelevant - by your reasoning, organisations representing music artists should not bother attempting to close down file sharing sites.

Intellectual property is no different from physical property in the eyes of the law.

2. profile image0
        SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Apparently, you don't follow your own advice. Only one of your current hubs is duplicate. If you followed your own advice, then they would all be duplicated many times over.

If you can't give good advice, it is best to let it go. I am thinking of copying your hubs and post them on the net as my own work with no links to you whastsoever. What do you think of that?

lol

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

Paul, I understand where you're coming from.  I write some articles to promote my websites, and I'm delighted to have them copied all over the internet provided my promotional and affiliate links are intact - even if I don't get the byline. 

But in Dorsi's case, she had no affiliate or promotional links in her article. The only way she makes money on that article is if people come and read her Hub and click on ads.  If the blogger had simply published the first paragraph and provided a link to Dorsi's Hub, she would've thanked them - but when the whole lot is published with NO links, she gets no benefit and it could adversely impact her Google ranking, so it's in her interest to have it taken down. 

Most of the writers you're arguing with here are in the same boat, and most of my Hubs are in that category, too.  HubPages gives us a tool to identify when someone has copied our Hubs so we can do something about it, which is great.  When you write on the internet, it doesn't take long to figure out how vulnerable your work is, but that doesn't mean you should give up on trying to protect it.

25. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

And adding stupid comments to my hub accusing me of deleting any negative ones is just farcical. If you knew me at all you would know I rarely do that unless the comments are so inane as to not be worth answering. In fact - do a google search for Mark Knowles is a douchebag,and see what you find. I OWN that term lol

I suggest you reread the ebook that taught you how to successfully market yourself online big_smile

And here all along I only thought it was only the theists who were out to get you big_smile

lol Apparently not. The stupid thing is - he has obviously not read it - or the comments, nor is he aware of the HUGE argument that erupted when I published it and the hub that was written by another hubber telling everyone what a wanker I am. smile

lol We don't hear the term "wanker" here a lot.  The first time I heard it, was from an intern at the company I was where working.  Evidently while he was on a trip to Europe he and his friends would continuously annoy their English companion just to hear her say "Bloody Wanker".

26. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

It's a very useful word. Like a wunch of bankers....

27. Cris A profile image60
    Cris Aposted 15 years ago

I knew i had it coming by posting a beautiful hub LOL but flattery is not my game. I tried flagging the blog but blogspot's reporting system is long-winded to say the least - they require the complaint in paper and snail mailed or faxed to them. Needless to say the copycat disenabled his/her comment box! The copied material now even comes first in google search! What do I do now?

http://hubpages.com/hub/the-mona-lisa-e … f-all-time

http://cooltrixy.blogspot.com/2009/02/m … c-and.html

1. Teresa McGurk profile image61
      Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that is really maddening.  Incidentally, if you had "shared" your Hub on to Blog spot, would this have made such theft impossible?  I ask because if you had blogged it to them (or whatever the correct jargon is) and had an earlier date/time posted, would that have prevented ASHISH (that's the name on the entry) from doing so?

That sucks - Blogspot should take more responsibility. Mail and faxes cost you money, so their stipulations are unacceptable. They are hosting stolen material, so they should be dancing to your tune - they hope that people do not bother.

I would bypass that and contact them by e-mail - if they are being evasive, send them a cease-and-desist e-mail telling them that unless the blog is taken down within 48 hours, you will be filing a DMCA violation with the search engines and directories. They will crap themselves - Google is draconian when it comes to DMCA violation, however large the website. Don't back down - you are in the right!

That should solve the problem smile

This lady has a great article - it has all of the templates you need for the various letters and legalese.

http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/04/10 … /#identify

Hope that it works - let us know how you get on wink

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
          Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Blogspot (Blogger) won't crap themselves if they get a DMCA violation
          They are OWNED by Google.

However, its really disappointing that they don't appear to have a more efficient copyright infringement system in place.
          But I suppose that there's no revenue to be made by policing infringements.

Eric G.

Yup - I realised that later on in the evening. Quite literally, Blogspot is all Greek to me, so it takes me a while to read through things! I eventually found out how to change the language settings. smile

2. SiddSingh profile image61
      SiddSinghposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cris,

Have you tried flagging the blog?

1. Cris A profile image60

Hey Sidd

I did. But the whole process finishes with the sending of the complaint letter mailed or faxed. So it was a no go! :C

I don't believe Dorsi went through that much to get rid of that blog. The thiefs and cheats are hoping that you won't bother to fight them so they get away with it. I definitely would send that complaint letter if it were me.

I went to the site again and joined a blogger group and posted my complaint in one of their topics - hopefully it'll get noticed and acted upon. Good thing I have a google account ie gmail.

2. profile image0
          Am I dead, yet?posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Chris, I seen this blog by 'Cool Trix' as well.  Complete copy of your original work.  I flagged the account.  According to the 'flag button' Google will look into how many times the button was clicked.  It seems that you will have to submit a complaint in writing.  Which is a pain, but worth it.

Again, depending on how agressive you want to be in protecting your property, a complaint in writing on your attorney's letter head would be most effective.

AIDY - thanks for flagging that blog. I just hope Google acts on it. Yes, it is a pain that I'm compelled to vent it out in a poem! LOL Thanks big_smile

BDazzler - I see that's the only recourse I have left. Thanks.

1. gbrgn profile image61
                gbrgnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If there is Adsense ads on the site, report the policy problem to Adsense here, and make them lose their account -

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py

Then report to blogger about the copyright issue here -

http://help.blogger.com/?page=troublesh … mit=Submit

Have fun!

28. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

Folks - this idiot on Blogspot has copied material en-masse from Hubpages. I am going to contact a few of the hubbers involved. mad

Teresa,
      No I don't have an account with them so I woudn't know. It really sucks bigtime doesn't it? sad

Sufidreamer
      Thanks. And you are right, I did some sleuthing myself and found some familiar looking blogs that i think exist here in HP. Now I'm off to determining who to contact in blogspot as their help/support menus do not feature contact information.

Looks like you have to go directly to Google, so the letter/fax may be the only way sad

I sent Hubpages an e-mail - don't know if they can help, but worth a try.

29. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 15 years ago

The very moment that we write a work, in a sense, it is copywritten.  Copyrights for literature, music and art have weakend tremendously because of easy access.  We can copy and paste or download in seconds.  This is a massive and still growing problem for people who WORK at writing.  I have been a songwriter for years.  My work was never copied and stolen, though I did have many songs gutted.  Gutted is when someone steals the heart of your work and re-writes the work under their name.
          Anyone who copies a work should ask for permission to do so.  It should be stated on the copy that permission was granted.  It is unethical for anyone to use a writers works without permission and, or compensation.
         Most writers are very ethical people but there are scumbags who will gut the works of other writers for money and recognition.  To be blunt, very few people understand the ehtics of using written works.   It is wonderful if someone wants to use your work, if they get permission from you and if you get the credit for that work.
         The general public doesn't understand the WORK and OWNERSHIP of writing.  Most think is is there freely to use as they wish.  People need to be more edcucated and informed about the process and legal rights of writers.  We as writers need to promote ethical use of our material and demand from those who use our works, fair compensation along with recognition.
    We have to write and fight!

Hey Tom, can I add one more line?

Thanks. I couldn't have said it any better big_smile

30. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

I flagged the Cool Trix article, as well.  Maybe if enough people do so, it will get their attention.  It might be worth your while though to go to the extra trouble of making a DCMA complaint.

31. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Reported her to AdSense.

Edit:

I don't see any ads, maybe she already lost her account.

32. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

somebody copied my Hub sad n I got flagged. Least I have a idea what to do bout it...geezzz sad here's the site too if you is interested...is my Barbecue Syndrome Hub.

http://current.com/items/89990486_barbecue-sickness.htm 

what really gets me...his site comes up first sad but it does link back to me ... I don't get it tongue lol

33. dwilliamson profile image61
    dwilliamsonposted 15 years ago

I have been posting and posting and posting hubs on here for the last eight days now. I love HubPages. Not only do I write on HubPages but I also have another website that I write on. On the site I have over 700 children's stories that I wrote. I was reading this post about how people are stealing content from other authors when I just for the fun of it checked on copyscape and I found that people are actually copying my work and using it as their own. I am going to be doing a lot of homework from here on in and get these imposter sites shut down. Why I didn't think to look at this before I will never know but I am so glad I have found this post now.

34. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

My sympathies, Dorsi! this keeps happening to my work and it gets copied and pasted in forums and on sites and with no link or credit to my name. One of mine on the Essia cancer cure I have just discovered has just been stolen again. This time it is in a pagan forum and the thief has posted it as her work! I have had 50% success in getting my stolen work deleted in the past. I join the sites and post my complaint as part of the forum or blog but some don't care and leave the hub there still. I have tried writing threatening with reporting to Google but this has been ignored too.

It really annoys me that this makes extra work for us trying to deal with these thefts of our work.

Have you followed through and reported them to Google?

35. dwilliamson profile image61

I just realized that my work is probably copied all over the internet that I didn't know about. Some of it has been as far back as 2005. Does anyone think that there is any point in going after the ones that are that old. I bet I have lost tons of money from Google Adsense just because I trusted that nobody would copy my work. My eyes sure are open now though. Is there any other way except copyscape to find the culprits. Copyscape requires a credit card and I don't have one.

36. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

No, I haven't because that creates additional work for me of having to go to the post office to do so meaning I need to spend about an hour of time and take two buses to do this plus pay for the postage or fax. This is what I mean - why should I have to do all that because of someone else taking my work? It is work on top of work and paying for it too!

37. dwilliamson profile image61

This just infuriates me to no end. I've been searching on copyscape, using my 5 free searches per day and so far I'm sickened by the amount of my content that has been copied without my permission. One post even had 16 comments on how nice the story was, etc. Those were comments that I should have been receiving.

38. dwilliamson profile image61

Okay, now I am ticked right off. I have been emailing the sites that I am finding my stories on and this one person emailed me back and said.

"We just took the story down. Someone submitted the story as their own to another one of our sites and since it had to do with Christmas we used it on our site. Since the story is not a high quality one, rather that try to determine exactly who does own the story, we just removed it."

So, this is what I said in return, "I AM THE AUTHOR OF THIS STORY AND I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR SAYING MY STORY IS NOT A HIGH QUALITY ONE. I'M GLAD YOU REMOVED IT BECAUSE I DON'T WANT MY WORK TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR WEBSITE ANYWAY. PLEASE REMOVE IT FROM THE OTHER SITE THAT IT IS ON AS WELL."

You know, they have the nerve to post my story without my permission first of all and then they have the nerve to say my story is of low quality.

I have gotten nothing but good feedback on any of the 700 stories that I have posted on my website for people to read for free and I have gotten good feedback on all of my hubs that I have posted here. If anyone would like the link to my story I will provide it to them so they can tell me if they think it is good quality or not. The nerve of some people.

39. dwilliamson profile image61

So, this morning I check my email and this is what she wrote back, pretty harsh I would say.

"For being a *writer* your reading comprehension and mastery of the English language is not very good.  Read your email below.  You say you *APPRECIATE*  me saying your story is not a high quality one.  You should have said “I *don’t* appreciate you saying my story is not of high caliber.    Now read my email.  I said it was submitted to another site but we used it on this one.  I did *not* say we used it on the other site, but rather it was *submitted*.  There is a difference between something being submitted and something being used.  I believe once you are able to grasp the English language and understand *net etiquette* your increased knowledge will be reflected in your stories and the quality of them will rise.  Until then, if no one has told you, *caps lock* is considered to be poor net etiquette and is considered *screaming*.  Someone who *screams* in emails and behaves as immaturely as you do should certainly not be writing children’s stories.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  It is obvious you are not mature enough to handle someone not enjoying your stories and if you are going to be a writer, then you are going to have to learn to take criticism.  Grow up."

This was my relpy, "When I said I appreciate your comment I was being sarcastic. I don't need you to tell me HOW to write. Also, I used CAPS because I was screaming at you. I was pretty upset."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)