jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Short URL tracker question....

1. WryLilt profile image94
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

This is probably a silly question but...

Can you insert your trackers into short URLS? Since the short URLs usually change into the original address, would this make the cookie obsolete?

Thanks for any replies!

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 7 years ago

One main purpose of short URLs is to hide (mask) affiliate links. So if you could insert the tracker, then convert to short URL afterwards, that should work.

1. sofs profile image85
      sofsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lost you there ... can you explain how this is done?

3. sunforged profile image76
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

If you are talking specifically of the hubpage created short url

Then that is a good question, but is most likely a no

Short URLS's in general (shortened URL's , URL redirects) are most often used specifically for such a reason.

I owuld imagine the hUbpage short url is already a redirect , so you cannot edit it anyway and still maintain proper location orientation

1. sofs profile image85
      sofsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is what I thought that the short URL cannot be modified though I have tried,  I did not understand what   @ WE was saying  WE can you  explain  this please? Or are you talking about something different?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have seen various services that offer to shorten affiliate links. I have no first-hand experience and do not know whether that could be done for HubPages links with URL trackers.

1. sunforged profile image76
          sunforgedposted 7 years agoin reply to this

they can shorten any link - its just a redirect

but i think the OP was referring only to the newish HP short links that are displayed on each of your hubs

2. WryLilt profile image94
      WryLiltposted 7 years ago

Yes, I was referring to the ones displayed in hub metrics and tweets.

Something like hubpages.com/t365c4

Could I make it appear as hubpages.com/_mytracker/t365c4

1. sunforged profile image76
        sunforgedposted 7 years agoin reply to this

no, have you tried? it shouldnt be a valid link

edit - tested - and works (at least the link remains valid) just set up anew unique tracker and see if it recognizes clickthroughs

I mean it would be cool if it did - but then again - Im not sure why you would want to use a shorturl outside of twitter for any reason other than hiding an aff or tracking link

sticking it into an already shortened url defeats the normal purpose

Why would you want to do that?

1. WryLilt profile image94
          WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The main reason is because I have a few hubs with long keyword laden titles and I thought if I could just add the tracker into a shortened URL it would make life a lot easier.

Thanks for the feedback, will experiment with a tracker also and see how it goes. smile

working