Do It: Link Your Worst Hub!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 13 years ago

You are only as fast as your slowest component... errr whatever the quote is. Well, it's not entirely true... I STILL will profit off of my best performing hub even though I have those poor performing ones, but I decided to create this post as a way to well, make those poor performing ones better.

When I was in high school track, we had to run in a single file line and the last person in line had to run alongside the line and run to the front of it while everyone else kept pace. When she made it to the front, then the new last person in line had to do the same thing. It sucked. Let's try to do that with our hubs though!

I'm thinking maybe we could each post our absolute WORST performing hub and give each other tips on how to make them better! So, which of your hubs is the worst performing and we'll help each other. The rule is that you CANNOT post your hub without first commenting on how to improve another's hub!

Here's my beast of an utter failure: http://hubpages.com/hub/Make-Money-Web-Design

Now post yours so I can help you... Ooh! It's like cleaning someone else's house! Much more fun than cleaning my own house! Ooh, we should like have a hub exchange program where we have a user like clean up a hub! Ooh! Idea for another forum post!

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a great idea, but you should probably ask for it to be moved to the Extreem Hub Makeover section, you cannot really post self promotional links in the rest of the forum!

I have a few utter failures that I do mean to clean up one day, I preffer to just keep on ploughing through with more articles though!

2. Garrett Mickley profile image77
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think maybe italicize or bold some keywords in it. Maybe spread out some of your content into more paragraphs (not more text modules, just split up some sentences into paragraphs) so that it looks a little cleaner.

I don't know much, but those are things that I think might help you.

3. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Posting your links for critical review is permitted in Extreme Hub Makeover, not in Knowledge Exchange. I have moved this thread into that forum for you.

4. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As I know nothing about web design I can't really comment on the info much. The one thing that did stand out to me though was the comment section. It would seem 12 months ago 2 people were trying to get some talk going about this subject yet you never posted reply comments.

Now I'm fairly new,but have still noticed that the most popular hubs have many comments and it's the first few comments if done properly that will keep the buzz going. Remember Hubbers might not always be buyers,but a Hubber that is impressed with your Hub has the ability to share it with someone who may be a potential buyer.

That being said here we are 12 months later and I have no idea what you could do to remedy that on your Hub shared here. Perhaps just something to keep in mind for future efforts.

2. Ginger Meow profile image67
    Ginger Meowposted 13 years ago

I topic is interesting but probably wont work as you are not allowed to self promote your hubs even if they are your worst performing hubs. Because what's stopping someone from spamming here?

1. Ginger Meow profile image67
      Ginger Meowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

was supposed to read "This topic...."

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I didn't want to start a new thread for this...

What does it mean when Google search results puts a cute, little, light-blue-outline, 5-point star next to your hub title?

1. Garrett Mickley profile image77

All titles in Google should have that at the far right of it.  You click it and it's like favoring the site.

Helps your personalized search.  Are you using Google Chrome?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! smile I wonder how long they’ve had that going on… First time it has shown up on my IE 8.

And I figured out why… The little critters only show up when a user is signed in apparently. When I signed out, they went away.

Mystery solved in that I’m almost never signed in.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
          paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Re: blue star topic from earlier:

I had to laugh.

Google snuck their latest version of their browser onto my PC.

I know this because their little pop-up message told me so.

Sure enough, there were the little blue stars all over the place.

And a note saying this is how you bookmark your favorites.

So, do I now bookmark one or two of my hubs everyday, with the expectation that Google makes note of it SEO-wise? smile

As far as I know, it has to do with personal search, where Google finds things more relevant to what you like and ranks them higher.  However, I don't doubt that if a lot of people starred your hubs that Google would take notice.  It's worth a shot, what's it going to hurt?

2. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can click the star and the next time you search for that term the ones you click will pop up first on your list, and they will still be in their proper ranking place as well.

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

This “blue star” hub may be a candidate for worst hub, not sure yet.

5. Garrett Mickley profile image77
    Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years ago

Alright so I posted my help for you.  Here's mine:

http://hubpages.com/hub/I-Joined-HubPages-To-Make-Money

It has more comments than most of my other hubs and the score is relatively higher than many of my other hubs, but it's definitely not getting hits.

Tear it apart, anyone and everyone.  Feel free to point out misspellings, too.  I hate typos.

1. evvy_09 profile image60
      evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like it, but the first paragraph seems like it can be split in two.
      'I'm not good with people on a customer service basis, nor am I good with people in any kind of service industry"  should maybe be the start of a new paragraph since it changes the subject a little.
      I'm far from an expert on writing, found hubpages through a job search online that I did and joined to improve my rusty writing skills. But when I was reading your hub it seemed that there's more hubs you can make through the first one. One example is how you went from not even knowing about SEO  to working for a SEO company and what you learned from it. You can write a hub about that and link to it from the Hubpages money one.

That's a good idea, I think I'll do that.

2. sabrebIade profile image80
      sabrebIadeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually I think it looks pretty good.
      I have seen a lot higher ranked Hubs that looked a lot worst than this one.

3. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Make money on hubpages hubs usually only do well within HP in terms of traffic for a short while because there are so many of them and new ones being written all the time. It's nice to write helpful stuff for the community, but unless you research your keywords and target the content to the searcher it's unlikely to do that well in the long term.

Aside form that, I think the writing is fine and the layout good. It could use a bit more text, but that's just me being picky tongue

I figured I was writing in a hard niche.  I guess I didn't really think about optimizing too much with this one (unlike some other hubs of mine that get many hits a day).

As for more text, I've spent some time writing content for websites and a popular rule for that is write the content, then cut it in half. Of course, for Hubpages the rules are different than writing content for a business' website.
        Either way, I've always felt less is more.  The less time someone has to read to get all the info, the better. There's a common internet joke "tl;dr" which stands for "too long; didn't read" and I try and appeal to people who feel that way.

But thanks for your suggestion!

1. Susana S profile image92

Yeh, I understand what you mean. Surfers often don't read. But the more words you have the more content there is to crawl. When I started at Hubpages I aimed for what they were looking for in the Flagship hubs program which included directives to write 1500 words and to make the page the best on the web for that topic. It's worked out ok for me and you'll see other hubbers like sunforged, mark knowles and misha often have this amount of text as well. Just something to think about smile

Yeah I definitely understand the reasoning behind it.  SEO is not new to me, I've been working for and learning from an SEO firm for the last 2 years.  The problem is, it's like a car mechanic who drives a clunker - He spends all day working on other people's cars and by the end of the day he's tired of it and doesn't want to work on his own.  I'm kind of the same way.  Spend all day doing SEO for other people, at the end of the day I really don't want to go home and do more SEO.

Thanks for the advice! I definitely plan on knocking out one with a good 1500 words, some day!

1. Susana S profile image92

Yes, I know that feeling too! I've only managed 3 hubs in the last 3 months because I'm too busy with client work - it's a pain!

6. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

Ok here's mine
    http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Wisdom-We-Had-As-Children
    It's not quite my worst one but the one that is I did to encourage a good friend of mine so I'm not willing to put it.

My feelings don't get hurt easily so feel free to put anything at all you feel should be improved.

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think your hub is very well written and well laid out.  To get better traffic, I would do some keyword research and find out what people are searching for, then rewrite just enough to be found.   I am thinking it would be very helpful to those looking to make a career change or high school students looking to make their first career choices.

7. profile image0
    selrachposted 13 years ago

This is my worst hub with only about 40 viewings.
    I think the hub is okay but just not getting any traffic.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Alcoholic-the-m … -paper-bag

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think its a good hub. traffic doesnt mean everything.

I just wrote back to you in a comment and said I hadnt seen you in a bit. hope all is well?

1. profile image0
        selrachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Doing fine thanks. Slowly but surely having more good days than bad days

1. profile image0

cool.... good to know. take it easy, I gotta run. Thanks for writing back.  wink

8. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-First-Snowy-Day

This is my worst performing hub, currently.  I do realize that it is not a popular topic or an evergreen topic, and that there may not be much that can be done about it. 

Yesterday, it got it's first viewing in months.

1. WryLilt profile image90
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good hub, I see that it was published 11 months ago. Maybe you just missed out on aging it enough for the American winter.... Maybe it will take off this year with a bit more maturity behind it.

All I can say is move the last paragraph into the top space. Why? Because someone searching for info on snowy days would probably be more interested in the less personal information in the hub.

Also, add some more tags. LOTS of tags are good. And try to have more semi-specific ones. Each tag can create a backlink for your hub - so get some more.

Ideas: snow day, snowy day, first day of winter, winter snow, winter, snow, cold weather, weather, cold.... you could come up with dozens.

My worst performing hub?

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-and-why-to- … -complaint

Although it was written ages ago and haven't really been back to it - has no keyword research and think it's probably a highly competitive topic. smile

9. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 13 years ago

I know HubPages does a great job shuffling around hubscores so that your hubs get a score boost every once in a while giving them a chance to be seen. But the lowest scores don't benefit much from that. Most of my topics have little commercial value so do not score very high. I still would like to see HubPages create a special FEED like the one they already have -- but for all the low scoring hubs. Low scoring hubs are not necessarily bad hubs. There could  be many reasons for their low scores other than poor quality. I think this would be a good resource for HubPages over time (and maybe  inspire some hubbers to spruce  them up a bit, if necessary, to get them better scores.) If your worst scoring hubs are of good quality, I think it's a good idea to link them when possible.

You are aware that hubscore influences very little outside hubpages, right? It's more an indication of traffic etc.

Low quality hubs can get high scores if they get lots of traffic.

C'mon, I thought this was a good thread... someone say something! big_smile

1. profile image0

hey, whats up? I wasn't sayng anything as I have no useful input. so here ya go

"something"  big_smile

You could give me feedback on my hub. tongue LoL

1. profile image0

Ill try if you realy want me too. I know nothing about how stuff works tho..I can just tell you what I think about how it reads to a normal stay at home mom.

oh yeah, ha ha , I read that when it came out. I remember liking it alot as how and when to complain is a big "thing" for me. I didnt comment becuase I har teh whol "good hub" commetn is not needed by many, and at eht tiem I coudnt think of anytign better ot say. But it is a good hub!! Ill go rearead it now and see if I can come up with something better...

2. Pcunix profile image92
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you need more anger in there.  The advice is good, but I think you could spice it up with justifiable rage at companies that ignore complaints, put people with no power in place to handle them and so on.

My worst performer: http://hubpages.com/hub/Testing-the-value-of-SEO-firms

It's also the one that cost me the most money and time to create, so that's even more disappointing.  I spent just under $1,000 in real money and a solid week of time on this - not the writing, but what was behind it.

Thanks Doormattnomore big_smile

Thanks for the pointers Pcunix, I might just do that. I have a major complaints hub about Telstra I could probably throw some information and links in about.

And as per your hub? Do you have any high traffic hubs that are on similar topics? Just these last few weeks I put RSS feeds on my highest traffic hubs as well as obvious links - and those pages are greatly increasing in views.

Have you tried customer RSS feeds with tags?

Hmmm not sure what else. Maybe you could put some kind of dot point list in a colored box to the right? Like a sum it up for people thing? Have you had any google hits or just none at all?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)