Question of the day.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

I got this from on of Mark's blogs but I don't know if this is one of his. http://www.iamanatheist.com/blog/2q/com … mment-1858

Anyways, the question of the day is, would you slap a baby to save a kitten?

1. profile image53
      sunny5555posted 13 years agoin reply to this

no, I could never do that, there are other things people can do so the baby and the kitten do not get hurt.

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For sake of introspect, you cannot choose something else. 

Would you slap a baby to save a kitten?

2. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I've spanked a babe who was dressed up as a kitten...

but that was just role playing by two consenting adults in Vegas

1. profile image53

No I would never do that ,but both would be saved

1. profile image0

Can you explain how "both would be saved?"  If you don't slap the baby the kitten dies.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

perhaps he meant he's turn them into baptist and save them Lol

2. David 470 profile image80
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

LMAO

3. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

nope. I would not.

4. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

OK, just read it. I stand by my first answer, I would not slap a baby, for a kitten.

and I really really love Q2. I have tried over and over to explain the concept of that to others, and its like hitting my head against a wall. Next time such a conversation ensues, I will point them in the direction of that blog, as it is presented much more clearly then I ever could present it.

1. profile image53

kittens are not weak animals, and you are talking about a baby, you really think kittens would not get away or the baby would simply let go.

5. LindaJM profile image80
    LindaJMposted 13 years ago

I guess I don't understand why the kitten would die if you didn't slap the baby. I'm sure there are other options.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I understand correctly, its a theoretical question to test your own values and morals and the consistency of them. Did you follow the link?

2. profile image0

The purpose of the question is to help you think evaluate yourself and whether or not your beliefs are a contradiction.

So, while I know it seems like an absurd question.  Pretend for a moment that it is a real scenario. 

I don't know what it is other than you have a choice, you cannot choose something else, you have to pick yes or no.

You can examine how you would go about it, rationalize the cost and come to a conclusion based on what you tell yourself, you do value.

For instance, you might say you value all life, all life is worthy of saving.  If you believe this moral obligation (one you chose for yourself) does letting the kitten die because you don't want to slap the baby, contradict your stand on, all life is worthy of saving?

1. profile image53

Yes all life is worth saving, to slap a child on the hand does not mean one has to braek it, bruise it or even hurt it.

1. profile image0

Thank you, that was what I was looking for.  Not the answer itself but I wanted to know how you would rationalize or justify slapping a baby to save a kitten. 

Now, let's take it a step further.  (will be back later because I have to go work)

How would you feel if someone you didn't know, slapped your baby to save a kitten?

1. profile image53

I would feel that maybe they need to go pray, maybe they need some kind of help. I would never think oh thank you for slapping a child that is not there own.

1. profile image0

But you would do it to someone else.

2. profile image0
            DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmmm tough one. I would, of course, instantly be furious. BUT I would need to calm down and find out why they did this. If my baby was unharmed, I would still be angry most likely, but also try my best to understand the other person. Luckily, no one has ever slapped my babies. Unfortunately, I don't see things as black and white so I have a little trouble with this line of reasoning. I kinda have a feeling of where this might end up...

1. Druid Dude profile image60
              Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Slap is a little too relative a term.

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
            schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

depends where they slapped my baby. on the hand is ok if it's not too hard

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Would you slap a baby to save a kitten?

Then, it's carried out- Would you slap someone else's child to save a kitten?

Then, what would I do about someone slapping my child to save a kitten?

Question #1) To protect life and little consequence to the child, then the answer is Yes.

Question #2) To protect life and again, little consequence to the child, then the answer is Yes.

Question #3) Ask the person why they did it? Answer: To protect life of the kitten. Then little consequence to the child and saved life of kitten- so Yes.

Question #3)(taken to extreme- hurt child enough to possibly threaten child's existence to save kitten? - not on your life)

1. Druid Dude profile image60

GOOD MAN CAG! Still too relative. Slap, on the hand? Y. slap on the behind, Y. slap on the face? N. slap across the head? N. Just to be clear here. PALM or BACKHAND, 1st  Y, 2nd N

7. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 13 years ago

Okay...the answer....give the baby a pre-emptive swat just because he/she is thinking of killing the kitten.  Problem solved....no slapping, no kitten killing.

1. profile image0

ROTF! Let me just go ahead and take care of that right now, get the  "I slapped a baby" voucher and exchange for future kitten threats.

lol

2. Druid Dude profile image60

Glad you know what kids are thinking.

8. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

I say the kitten would not be saved...

9. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Agree Kitten is toast, so slap nothing and chow on Pumpkin Pie!
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4027480_f248.jpg

10. Susan Ng profile image82
    Susan Ngposted 13 years ago

Yes, I would slap a baby if it was the only way to save a kitten's life. Then depending on how old the child is, I would explain to him/her the consequences of what he/she was about to do to the kitten. I would also appreciate it others did the same thing to my children (or nephews and nieces since I don't have any children) in the situation because I believe that consistency is important in child discipline. If I didn't allow something and others allowed it, it would create a subconscious confusion within the child. That being said, I would also slap another person's baby to save a kitten's life.

But I would definitely not kill a baby to save a kitten's life. yikes

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)