Is a woman ever within her rights to slap a man?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Is a woman ever within her rights to slap a man?

Assuming he said something insulting, derogatory, or she caught him lying about cheating.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9906725_f260.jpg

2. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

NO! There's a better way to get her point across to him besides, that's abuse and disrespect to him. How is she to make up for that? If he slaps her back, then what do you have? All problems and issues should be dealt with peaceably no matter what the situation is. People should see counseling before a situation becomes physical.

dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It's also human (instinct) for that person to want to (retaliate) by hitting back harder. Logically it makes no sense to hit anyone who is twice your size either! Slapping anyone has the potential to escalate into a major altercation.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I've only gotten slapped once, and I must admit I had it coming. It was back in college and without thinking, I used an extremely rude term for a certain part of the female anatomy (let's just say it rhymes with "runt") in front of a female friend. POW! I never even saw it coming, she struck like a cobra and then told me "Don't you EVER use that word in front of me again!" I was so stunned all I could do was mutter, "Ummm...yes, ma'am. Sorry."

FatFreddysCat, Don't you think it's a double standard though? If you had slapped her for using the word (prick). Everyone would say a man should NEVER hit a woman! This is said even if he is (hitting her back) after she hit him. No hitting period.

2. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about that one. Nobody is allowed to hit me because of a word I said.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I dunno, I think y'all are looking too deeply into it. When I look back on it now, it was actually kind of funny....and I was still friends with her afterwards...

4. dashingscorpio profile image79

FatFreddysCat, I get where you're coming from. In your particular case (you) felt like you (deserved it) and you were good friends. I was just pointing out there aren't any words (she) could have said that would've justified you to slapping (her).

4. cjhunsinger profile image61
    cjhunsingerposted 9 years ago

As women are now equal to men and too, serve in combat, would it be insulting to think that women are justified in hitting a man and not get hit in return? If a man hit me, I would most certainly hit back. Are women equal or are they equal, only when it is convenient.
    As, a man I cannot hit another man simply because he insulted me. Words do not justify battery. So the question is, are women exempt from the law and the answer is no.

1. Darrell Roberts profile image72
      Darrell Robertsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a great answer, right on the money.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79

cjhunsinger, You're right! Equality is what we strive for in the U.S. Having "double standards" prevents us from ever reaching that goal. No one has the right to hit you, kick you, or spit on you and expect you not to retaliate regardless of sex.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

It should never be within anyone's rights to physically abuse another person. If a man did something insulting, derogatory or unfaithful, then the woman should probably consider leaving him altogether. Slapping him, or throwing insults back at him, is the equivalent of revenge, and we all know how well that ends.

6. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 9 years ago

Physical force should only be used in self defense.

Adults should choose not to resolve their differences without violence. However if someone strikes you then you are within your rights to use self-defense! Some women would never hit a dog and yet they think it's okay to hit a man! Never initiate.

7. profile image0
    Ally Lewisposted 9 years ago

The solution to any problem is never violence or physical harm. We all get mad and would love to punch things, but we don't because that solves nothing - it makes things worse. If someone is being attacked, then they have the right to physically defend themselves, but neither sex should be harming anybody. Slapping someone is an impulse, one that should be resisted against in favor of discussion or removal from the problem until emotions are cooled. Controlling impulses and thinking rationally should be a method of problem-solving in every situation, not acting like a wild animal.

8. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Is she being physically attacked? If not she should keep her hands to herself. It bothers me greatly that many parents teach their boys "Don't hit a girl" yet don't teach their girls not to hit a boy. Simply, no one should be hitting anyone, but if they are they better have been hit first, In my opinion.However there are times when getting hit is not an excuse to hit back. If someone is much smaller than someone else I can't justify the larger of the two hitting the other back. Like when my boys get into it, when the younger of the two hits the oldest, I encourage him to not to hit back because of the large size difference. It doesn't mean it was okay for the smaller to hit, just that the larger should know their strength.

9. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 9 years ago

I know women who are black belts in karate. If fact, one egged me on, saying, "hit me with you best shot if you think I'm kidding." So I did and I found myself lying on my back on the floor in about two seconds.

Regardless, you don't have a "right" to hit anyone or slap anyone. There's especially is no right to hit or spank a child. That just teaches the child that it's okay to hit people.

10. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9950039_f260.jpg

I am going to say theoretically no; however, THERE are times when someone really gets on a woman's nerves or says/does something that is totally disrespectful, uncalled for, and especially crude/obscene, then it is human for a woman to physically react.  There are moments when certain people continue with their verbal haranguing although they were warned repeatedly to stop; however, they refused to do so and the woman's normal human reaction is to S-T-R-I-K-E as she has reached her boiling point.

It happened to me one time, I kept telling the person to stop with the insistent haranguing and the idiot continued and I punched, not slapped the person and it STOPPED immediately and NEVER happened again!  Yes, as humans we should be evolved enough to settle things without reacting physically.  However, this is the real world and there are occasions where physical reactions are ALL what some people DO comprehend.  Of course, a woman is always in her right to use physical means as a method of self-defense in physical attacks and/or in life threatening situations.

One reason I ask this is because I saw the whole video of Ray Rice knocking out Janay Palmer. Before getting in the elevator (she backhanded) him in the face. He pushed her head, then she charged and he knocked her out. What if she never hit him?

11. Link10103 profile image61
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

I better have royally f'ed up for any woman to ever slap me. If I am at the point where I am throwing insults at her face, then she has already done something to actually get me angry, since there is no other situation I can imagine myself being in where I would be cursing someone out.

If at that point she decides to slap me I have 0 qualms slapping her back just as hard if not harder.

In short, If there is no reasoning behind the slap, prepare to get slapped back. Otherwise, I would assume there is a good enough reason.

If a woman feels the (urge) to slap a man then (she) should walk away! I would never advise any woman to go around slapping men. She can (control her actions) but not the consequences of her actions. It's not wise or safe to initiate violence.

2. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone can control themselves to that degree, which paves the way for consequences. It would be up to the receiver of violence to ensure it doesn't happen again, either through appropriate retaliation or some other better method.

3. dashingscorpio profile image79

Link10103, I think not everyone (chooses) to control themselves. The same woman that would slap you probably would not slap a bear. Bullies generally target those who they believe won't retaliate. If someone hits you they should expect retaliation

4. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. It appears that logic is unheard of on the other question of this topic.

12. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 9 years ago

Interesting question, although I really don't think a woman can physically hurt a man, if she stays above the belt, but so not to make it a double standard I'd say no. She should keep her hands to herself, as should the man.

13. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 9 years ago

A woman is never within her rights to slap a man for saying something. It is not okay. If it was okay for a woman to hit a man for saying something then it would be okay for the man to hit back. Sometimes people just react. However men and women are supposed to try to control themselves.

Men tend to be stronger than women. However they still have feelings and they still react without thinking sometimes. It is not fair to expect them to just take it all the time. If a woman slaps a man she should at least admit that it was wrong and try not to do it again.

14. bensen32 profile image78
    bensen32posted 9 years ago

Though it might not be "PC" to say it, I will anyways.
    If a woman hits a man she opens herself to be hit back. Do I think it is right to hit a woman, no. Do I think it is right for a woman to hit a man, no.
    It is no more right for a woman to hit and man, than a man to hit a woman.
    The same question could be asked the other way. Would it be okay for a man to hit a woman? Assuming she said something insulting, derogatory, or he caught her lying about cheating.
    I assume the answer by most would be NO!

"It is no more right for a woman to hit and man, than a man to hit a woman." - Very well said and true!
      Having "double standards" is what keeps society from having gender equality. Instead of (initiating violence) a woman or man should walk away.

15. loamejan profile image62
    loamejanposted 9 years ago

I think it depends on how huge the mistake was. But if it is tolerable then woman don't have the right to hurt people. But if the woman was extremely hurt, humiliated or she caught her boyfriend cheating, I think she has the right to do it. I think an act of self defense because her heart was threatened.

loamejan, Are you also saying a man is "justified" for slapping a woman if he caught her (cheating) or she (humiliated him) as well? Who determines whether or not a mistake is "tolerable"? If Woman has an urge to slap a man (she) should walk away!

2. loamejan profile image62
      loamejanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your honest opinion @dashingscorpio.
      But I think it is so common that a women tends to physical reaction. But again we can not hold their emotions and reactions.

16. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 9 years ago

Violence will bring more violence.  Mature people should not hit another person unless it is self defense. 

Even if the person is a lying cheat, I think it better to cool off and then decide if you want to work it out or walk away from the relationship.

Very true! If I had a daughter I would advise her to never strike a man unless it was in self-defense. Men are human beings too! No one should be initiating violence regardless of their gender!

17. emilyzeinert profile image60
    emilyzeinertposted 9 years ago

She is no more entitled than a male is to use the same force under the same circumstances.

1. limpet profile image59
      limpetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Before the advent of the Women's Liberation movement a woman slapping a man was the norm particularly if he got 'fresh' with her. You'd often see it on T.V. shows just to let the viewing audience known she was not helpless.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79

Ian it was also during a time a sitcom with large bus driver would often (threaten to punch his wife) and it generated laughs! "One of these days Alice, to the moon!" - Jackie Gleason's character in "The Honeymooners". That wouldn't fly today!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)