jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Comments Automatically Labeled Spam?

1. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 6 years ago

I've found several comments from visitors to my hub that have been automatically labeled by the system as spam, so it seems.  But when I read some of the comments they are actually relevant and really not spam in my opinion.  And the thing is that I don't even know the comment is there unless I happen to just pull up a hub and see it there.  I have missed a lot of useful comments this way.  An email notification for suspected spam comments would be nice but I never get an alert.  I just discover most of them weeks later in the "spam slammer" guilty or not.  Has anyone else had this problem?

1. LiamBean profile image89
      LiamBeanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I do believe there needs to be a little more work done on the comments alert system.

I do know if I get comments from members. All I have to do is log in and the number and content of comments will be shown on the left.

If the commentator is NOT a member then I likely won't see the comment unless I go looking for it.

This was particularly bad when a non-member tacked roughly thirty comments on the roughly thirty of my hubs, advertising some service or other. I got no alerts on any of them and I had to go to every hub I'd written so I could delete them.

It was so bad that I briefly considered ending my writing here...for good.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've had probably a hundred or more non member comments especially on high traffic hubs - it always shows up on my main page.

1. LiamBean profile image89
          LiamBeanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Most comments appear when I log in, but not all. I'm not sure how commentators are falling off of the RADAR, but those that do are typically problematic.

Also, I do not approve comments from people who have obviously not read the hub or whose names are links to external sources.

1. WryLilt profile image89
            WryLiltposted 6 years agoin reply to this

As long as the comment is relevant and adding to the hub, I approve those with their names as links to external sources.

The comments box allows for a web address so I consider that fine.

However if they put a link in their address, unless highly relevant and with a quality comment, I deny it.

2. profile image0
        multimasteryposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wow!

2. profile image0
      ankigarg87posted 6 years agoin reply to this

This problems also comes to me. In hubpages some keywords in the comment box then it is treated as spam.

3. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have found one or two that are exactly as you describe. Valid, relevant comments that I accepted when I found them. Most marked spam are spam all the same.

4. brakel2 profile image84
      brakel2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have found comments on my hubs from visitors, and their name leads to a bad website. I deleted one, but it came back somehow, and I deleted it again. The comment was ok, but I thought it was spam due to the bad website. I have had visitors try to leave comments on my hub, and  they are not allowed to, they tell me. So, I guess things can get quirky. I'm just glad to be a member of hubpages.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Not had that problem. hmm

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I have heard this mentioned before, although I don't know if there's any solution.

I personally don't often check my hubs - there are just too many so I may have missed some comments if what you say is true.

4. rmr profile image89
    rmrposted 6 years ago

I've found quite a few comments that were automatically flagged. Some of them were comments that I had previously approved. I even had one hubber email me to ask why I had deleted their comment because, once they're flagged like that, they disappear until you moderate them.

5. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 6 years ago

Well sounds like this is really a technical issue that needs to be dealt with.  Thank you for commenting.  Anyone else? Please voice your comments issues/experience in this thread.  Thanks.

6. pylos26 profile image77
    pylos26posted 6 years ago

Spam is good...But it needs frying.

working