Observations about making Series Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I'm currently doing a series of Hubs and I have come across quite a few things that we need to discuss.  My series is a countdown series so I don't yet know how relevant this info can be for say.. Bob Ewing's series in garden vegetables.   Countdown and recipes are very different but how are they the same and what can we learn from it?

My series is broken down in parts featuring 5 items at a time.

The Stats
    Part 1 has 300 hits (although it should be noted that each new hub has a link at the top which will take you to the beginning of the countdown)
    Part 2 has 96 hits
    Part 3 has 62 hits
    Part 4 - 102
    Part 5 - 129
    Part 6 - 115
    Part 7 - 145    (At this point I thought 'hey I'm picking up momentum')
    Part 8 - 68    (NOT)
    Part 9 - 45    (DEFINITELY NOT!)
    Part 10 - 145
    Part 11 - 63
    Part 12 - 93
    Part 13 - 27   (Crash & Burn?  Undiscovered?)
    Now these stats suck (1,000 hits for all this work) but it's my own fault.
    I plan on doing a publicity thing for the Funniest Movies Countdown AFTER it is COMPLETE!

Now, I am not here to promote this series like I normally/shamelessly would.
    I'm trying to open a discussion because I know many of you would like to work toward a series because there is money in it.   

LESSON ONE:  Don't be like me.
    I didn't bother to keep track of what time of day I was publishing them.
    I didn't bother to register for the hubpages Flagship status. 
    I didn't bother to keep track of what day of the week it was or the bearing on traffic.
    I didn't bother to post any of these hubs on socialposter.com or digg or any of the others.

LESSON TWO: Be like me a little.
    My countdown is going great and is getting better.  More hubbing = better hubbing.
    I would love to a few more series like this by YOU.

Couldn't you just see a series coming from Shirley on the Beatles albums or Mr. Torpey doing his Bing thing?   Or a series on roadtrip destinations or on the different states during the election.

I will be starting a new Series soon called The 100 Movies That Will Kick Your Ass!
    You can bet I'll be paying much better attention this time round.

MY QUESTION for this Forum is..

Is there a peak time of day OR day of the week in which to publish?
    Does Socialposter.com work for you?
    Any stats you can share on series hubs you've tried?

Do you think that my random hit differential has MORE TO DO with the first movie that is featured in the hub being visible to a potential reader on Hubbers or Hubs?
    In other words....if they can see that the first movie I'm doing is Napoleon Dynamite instead of say a rare movie they haven't heard of?   Are they just clicking cause they see Napoleon?

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

the time of day or day of the week can have bearing on how much initial traffic you get. Especially if posting a link to a social bookmarking site. But it depends on the content and who it's relevant to. And their geographical location.

So I don't bother trying to figure it out. When I've got a hub ready to publish it gets published.

2. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

The time of day does matter, interesting as it is, when I post I try to make sure at least 50 people are on these forums (gives a hint of who is online). I also found it best to post around Friday-Saturday times.(only on weekends without a holiday EXCEPT if the Hub has to do with that upcoming holiday) I think the problem with the random series hits is they only find one of your posts and don't look for the others. They may ignore your links to the others on that page. I was thinking if I started a serious I would make a note up top and above the comments saying something like "This is a series of X, there are X pages and you can find them here".

The thing about movie your asking is interesting I don't think it will matter, although if you top the movies from top to bottom make sure ones people seen a lot are easily search able. Because say if I liked the movie Napoleon Dynamite and I searched for images and details of it in lists for ranking etc. I can then link onto that and that will lead to the less known movies in your series.

3. DJ Funktual profile image76

Thanks for responding right away thranax.  I published the last one yesterday a Saturday and it just died.  So many people claim to be into it based on the comments I've received.  Oh well.
    Anyone else?

4. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

When did you publish part 13? Maybe it just hasn't started getting search engine traffic yet. Or are you really only interested in Hubber traffic? I don't really worry about the time of day I publish because for me Hubber traffic is a bonus not my goal. I want search engine traffic

One thing that I think would help for both internal and external traffic is additional tagging. I would recommending adding the names for each movie featured in a particular hub to your tags.  Also, how does your summary look? Are you letting Hubpages automatically create your summary or are you changing it yourself? If the former, you should change it yourself and mention some of the movies.

I think part of the problem is also the topic. You will just not get as much traffic on movie related topics for the most part, especially older movies. Just from my own hubbing, I see far more traffic for my tv show related hubs than my movie related hubs. So you really kinda need to help them out with good tagging and summaries to eek out as much traffic as possible. Backlinks to them from other sites would help too.

As for why hubbers would start off strong on reading your stuff and fade away, I'd say it is probably because of subject fatique. You may get a lot of traffic on the first few hubs in a series from Hubbers who have email notices turned on, but since they can see the name of your hub in their email, if they lose interest in movies, they may simply not be clicking through. That's the hazards of any series really. People are enthusiastic out of the gate and then interest fades just as you, the truly obsessed one, are getting pumped to write more. I think that is why it is more important to go after search traffic. New eyes!

5. DJ Funktual profile image76

Thank You SO MUCH embitca oh sexy one.

How does one create their own summary?

thanks for the advice on Movie Titles in the tag.  Keywords and tags are still mystery.

6. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

At the top of your hub in edit mode, there's a box for the title. Click on the "summary text" tab and then uncheck "Calculate Summary Automatically". Write your own summary.

7. DJ Funktual profile image76

Thanks again.   I've started the process of editing all my Hub summaries now.

8. DJ Funktual profile image76

yeah me too.  What about socialposter.  i never get shite from them in terms of traffic so I just stopped.   There's got to be a better way.

1. thranax profile image73
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well if you want a long list of bookmarking sites this was made by Darkside up there smile It is going to be helping me (currently isn't-don't have the time) But here you go:

158 Social Bookmarking sites, by Darkside

See Darkside, there I go using your Hub to learn something and suggesting it to someone else, and you thought i didn't like you smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)