Help, how do I find which part of my hub contains duplicate content?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Ceres Schwarz profile image39
    Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years ago

I have a hub that I have yet to publish. I've been working on it and then this warning suddenly shows up "WARNING [?]NOTE: A substantial portion of the content on this hub appears on other pages". How do I get rid of this warning? And how can I find exactly which part of this hub has the duplicate content? I've read the learning center guide about this duplicate content thing but I'm still confused about this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The hub in question currently has 2254 words and is a review of a music album from an anime series (Hub title: Saiyuki Reload Ending Theme Song ID Single by flow-war (Anime Music Review)). I've added more words, edited stuff but that warning is still there and I'm not sure what to do anymore. This is really frustrating. 

I think this duplicate thing might be because the hub also speaks of the same anime series that I've talked about in my previous hubs. I do include a short summary about it but it's mostly about the music album itself and the tracks in that album so I'm really at a loss on what to do. Part of the learning center does say that even if I'm quoting from something, then that's okay as long as I have more original content, which I think this hub has.

Please advice me on what to do. Should I post the text of the hub in question here? I'm really confused and this is really very frustrating. I really wish this warning at least told me exactly what the problem was so I can change or remove the words or add to the content. As it is, I have no idea what to do, what to fix and how to fix it.

1. joanveronica profile image69
      joanveronicaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I really have to thank Ceres for starting this forum thread! I have received such a lot of useful ideas and information here, I am also facing duplicate content, but not on Hubpages, thankfully! So cheers for all these wonderful participants!

Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. Hope you are also able to fix your duplicate content problem. I'm still working on mine too.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Whatever part of your Hub most closely resembles text that is used elsewhere is the culprit. 

Did you quote anything from elsewhere, like lyrics?  That could be it.
    Are you talking about the same thing using mostly the same words as something you wrote someplace else?  That could be it.  Remember, an automated filter is what you are up against.

Here's where I think you are going wrong.  I pasted your opening paragraph of one of your Anime music review Hubs into Google and it pulled up a lot of your other Hubs that contain nearly the same wording.  The problem with doing things in a series is if you keep saying a lot of the same stuff over and over, which is often a sign you are stretching material too thin.

check it out,
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Saiyuki … =firefox-a

Thanks for the response. Do you know how this works exactly? I did quote some lyrics but that's only a small amount as compared to the rest of the text because I actually give some meaning to the lyrics. I didn't even really quote lyrics line-by-line. It has the same format as with the way I quote lyrics in my other hubs. But these are different lyrics because this is a different album.

Also, I did mention a summary of the series as a sort-of preface before getting started with explaining and talking about the music album but that summary is only a small amount as compared to the rest of the hub, which is about the music album itself.

I thought that was all right as, according to the learning center guide, we can quote some stuff and some parts may appear similar (in this case the summary) but it should be all right if we have even more additional content.

Do you think those hubs are too similar? Should I just remove the summaries? Or make it even shorter? I thought basic summaries to just say something as an introduction to the series would be all right.

But what about this hub that I've yet to publish? I've edited the summary part already and even cut some stuff out. I even added more content to the album part itself. But that warning is still there. What else should I do? Thanks for the help.

3. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 10 years ago

Try running it through plagium.com and see if it finds any similar content on the web.

Thanks for the response. I checked out plagium.com like you suggested. I copy-pasted my as-of-yet unpublished hub and ran the quick search. The results I got have nothing to do with my hub, either the Saiyuki series itself or the music album in question.

Here are some of the results it showed me: top gaming systems, journey to the center of the earth reviews and ratings, boring return journey television tropes and idioms, and grand fantasia game review.

So, doesn't this mean that my hub isn't duplicate? Some lines might be similar to these sites but since they're unrelated to my hub topic, then is that all right? What does this mean? Thanks for your help.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
        Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As @relache explained, it looks like the duplication is coming from your existing Hubs.

The strategy to address the issue is to publish new and original Hubs, and not try to recycle or paraphrase information you already have in other Hubs as this will result in the content being marked as duplicate.

In addition, scripture/lyric/quote content can be more problematic for Hubs that are not very long as they can end up being a large portion of the content.

If you revise your Hub and add a larger portion of original commentary or editorial content, then you should be able to reduce the level of duplication.

You may also want to consider using scripture/lyrics/quotes as a lower percentage of the total Hub content.

Hi and thanks for the response. What I did was publish a new hub about the summary of the series. I then removed all text about the summary in all my hubs and instead just added a link to the summary hub. That's also what I did for the hub that shows the duplicate content warning but that warning still refuses to leave.

How does the duplicate content warning work exactly? I mean, does it still detect content as duplicate even if I'm not displaying the text capsule? I tried to do a trial and error in order to find which text capsule the problem was by hiding text capsules.

But that duplicate content warning is still there. I ended up hiding all the text capsules and placing some random text (that has nothing to do with this hub or my other hubs) on a new text capsule (making only that random text capsule as visible) but that warning is still there. Why is that? What does this mean?

2. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

I tested plagium.com with one of my Squidoo pages and it came up with about ten results but when checking the pages I can't actually find the copied text, you do have any suggestions about finding it on the site?

thanks

1. alexadry profile image95
        alexadryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The text may be hidden somewhere, did you read the whole text? Plagium reveals the copied sentence, maybe you can try to Google that sentence? The results should show where the text is used exactly.  Looking at the cache may highlight the sentence at times. Plagium.com is only one of the many plagiarism checkers, some are better than others and yield more precise results. Try some other ones and see if you get better results. Other options are duplichecker.com, dustball.com and many more if you Google free plagiarism checker.

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
          SpaceShantyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some of the pages were on ehow.com.  Some of the links just took me to pages which had very little text.  I guess I will need to look harder!  Thanks for the advice.

4. shielamaeparreno profile image63
    shielamaeparrenoposted 10 years ago

I've had one hub with that problem..I tried edited it three times but the warning just won't go away..got tired and just deleted it. I posted it somewhere else to be of use somehow. But don't give up Ceres! I'll follow this thread..

Thanks. I'm still working on the hub. I don't want to delete it if I can still fix it. That warning is very frustrating. It would be better if it told you exactly where the problem was so you know exactly what to fix and what to change or edit.

5. misslong123 profile image83
    misslong123posted 10 years ago

Ugh. I had this problem too. I was so annoyed, because I would edit the text and completely change the pictures, and still get that error message every time I re-submitted it to Hubpages. I don't know how I finally got it right, but I did. I think if you look at your similar Hubs, write down the key sentences/words on paper, then go to the errored Hub and search for those key sentences/words, if they are there, reword them. Try rewording the Hub with synonyms. Anyway, that's what worked for me, so I hope that helps! Michele

Thanks. That warning is really very frustrating. I think something's wrong with it. I started to remove text from the hub but that warning never left. I ended up removing all the text (transferring it somewhere else in the meantime) and then just pasting some random text (which has nothing to do with any of my hubs) in the hub but that warning was still there.

I don't get what that means anymore. How could the warning still be there when I already removed all the text and replaced it with something random? I still want to try and fix it but that warning really isn't very helpful. Wish it would tell me which part the problem was so I can fix it.

6. tabrezrocks profile image46
    tabrezrocksposted 10 years ago

Very easy just go copy scape and verify your content there

7. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Jeez, these forum activities suck. Sorry, side comment.

Copy/paste any of your hub text into google. With quotes. You will know.

Thanks. The problem is I ended up inadvertently duplicating my own content from my other hubs. It's because I'm reviewing the many music albums from the same series. I would put the summary of the series in each of those hubs before getting to the music album review part.

To fix that, I created a summary hub of the series then removed all summary references in all my other hubs and just put a link to the summary hub in those hubs.

But 2 of my hubs is still showing the duplicate content warning and I think something's wrong with that warning. To try and find out where the problem was in the hub, I started to hide text capsules. But the warning didn't disappear. So I ended up hiding all the text capsules and yet the warning was still there.

I then removed the text from those text capsules and pasted them elsewhere. I ended up removing all the text and pasting some random text in the hub but that warning was still there. It seems that no matter what I do, the warning is still there and doesn't disappear. I don't get it. Wish that warning would at least tell me where the problem is so I can fix it or edit it or something.

8. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

So sorry you have been experiencing this problem  It's happened to me before and it's so darn frustrating.  You've received alot of help here and it sounds like you're doing everything right.  Kudos to you for bringing your anxieties to the forum smile

Thanks. And, yes, this is really very frustrating. Wish that duplicate content warning would tell me exactly where the problem was so I could fix it or edit it or remove it.

9. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years ago

I had a similar problem when reviewing several books by the same author a year or so back. Part of the articles included a short bio of the author. As the author's life does not change no matter who he is or how many times it is typed out, I got a duplicate content warning on the second and third hubs (even when I reworded them and tried to solve the problem myself). Eventually I emailed 'team@hubpages.com' and explained that I couldn't really change the brief bio and more because this person was still the same person, with the same life history. They accepted this and removed the duplicate content warning.

This sounds exactly like what my problem is. I'm reviewing music albums from the same series and I would include a short summary of the series in each of those hubs before moving on to the music album. I also tried to reword the summary and say things differently but I guess there's only so many times you can reword a summary.

What I did now was to create a summary hub of the series so, instead of having to repeat the summary every time in each of my hubs, I just added a link to the summary hub in those hubs. And I then deleted all references to the summary in those hubs.

However, for 2 of my hubs, I'm still getting the duplicate content warning and I think something's wrong with the warning itself.

To try and fix the hub, I decided to go with trial and error by hiding the text capsules one by one to see if anything would change. I ended up hiding all the text capsules but the warning was still there. So I started to delete the text from the text capsules and paste it elsewhere for now.

I also put some random text on the hub itself. But I'm still getting that duplicate warning even with the hub only containing some random text now. Do you know what that means? I don't understand why I'm still getting that warning if I already removed all the text and just pasted some random content in the hub for now. I have no idea how that duplicate content warning works and how to make it disappear. I wish it would just tell me where the problem was exactly so I could fix it.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I suggest your best course of action is to email 'team@hubpages.com' and ask them why this is still showing as duplicate content. I can only guess that it might be that you didn't run the 'check for violations' tool after you made changes (found at the bottom of your statistics page), and didn't give it time to run automatically as it does otherwise (this really is a guess as in the past I seem to recall making a few changes often removed the duplicate content warning immediately, but things might have changed).

Thanks. I did email HubPages. I'm not sure what happened exactly but the duplicate content warning finally did disappear and I was able to rewrite and fix my hub. I have just submitted one of them already since I'm still fixing the other. Hope it's going to be okay now. Thanks for the help.

10. AmbitiousMarketer profile image60
    AmbitiousMarketerposted 10 years ago

You can use a tool like copyscape.com to check which parts of your content are duplicated. Or just paste a certain part you might think is duplicate into google.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)