Future of Adsense and Us

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Thriller profile image60
    Thrillerposted 13 years ago

What will happen if most people install AdBlock add on on their browsers? Already over 120,000 people have installed it on Chrome and far more on Firefox. This means the most effective means of earning is blocked for us and we will have to make do with just affiliate marketing. Makes sense?

1. LindaJM profile image83
      LindaJMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google makes an AdBlock that eliminates AdSense? I don't use the addon so I wasn't aware of that.

2. profile image53
      Patronusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that is very interesting

3. sarovai profile image74
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is the proportion? Just work out.

4. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am going to pop my top lol hmm

5. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google didn't make it, but third parties have built and maintained addons/plugins for a while that blocks scripts and certain sites from loading content to the pages that you visit.

It's been a concern for a while.

The funny thing is, there are people that make their money from Adsense that use the plugins themselves.  Ironic.

6. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the good news is that the majority of people who use adblockers are at least relatively tech savvy, and that segment of the internet doesn't click on advertisements much anyway.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Google is going to lose more money then us little folk could ever dream of if this does happen.

3. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I don't know about blocking ads, but when I starting writing on hubpages I wondered how many people block cookies on their computers, and if so how can one expect to make any Amazon sales? This thought pattern came from the fact that my partner is an IT consultant and so a bit of a techno geek - he blocks everything. He thought that everyone did this, as everyone he works with does it. Yet after enquiring on hubpages i discovered that most people don't actually bother. And I do make Amazon sales, on another profile that I have.

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Google makes most of their money from their ad network

1. Polly C profile image90
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I saw that on a programme earlier on this year - it is their way of keeping google free to users.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is their main business structure. I tried using them to advertise an ebook, man it was easy to lose more money then I could make selling the thing! Got outa that pretty quick, but I got a good clear idea of how they make their money lol

5. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Calm down chicken little. The people who install such plug-ins are certainly aware of ads, but aren't likely to click on them anyway.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point! Not to mention google will have to figure out a way round these if they actually do make an impact as the big G wont want to lose its main revenue source

2. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point. After seeing your post i am extremely happy.

6. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Lots of people use ad blocking scripts on their software. FireFox has noscript plugin that I use myself.

They have been using ad blockers for years. However most of those who use it, as darkside said, are the types that never click ads anyways.

However it is true that more ad blocking and cookie blocking scripts are being used on browsers these days. That's just life.

7. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I think google will survive OK.
    Our adwords campaign is costing up to 4k a week when we run it! I know lots of people putting in over 2k a week with adwords.
    Sales results are very good, but even if they are not, google is unaffected. smile
    You couldn't jump over what they make in just a few minutes!

8. Thriller profile image60
    Thrillerposted 13 years ago

Well Google could disallow the extension and maybe even Firefox in the future if the ad blockers tribe continues to rise as is presently. I look forward to that smile

1. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really ? do you know that if google does that then they have to face court-case for such action ?

Take firefox down for this ? LOL. F-Hilarious.

I like ad-block plus. It keeps many malicious ad-scripts away from browser that includes auto-play adsense/CPM video ads, annoying meebo toolbar, wiblya toolbar and other pop-up and exit pop-up ads.

9. wirewoman profile image62
    wirewomanposted 13 years ago

One of the things about working on the web is that you've got to expect constant change......like with the adblockers.

This is one of the best arguments I know for diversifying what you do web-wise. It's just not prudent to rely on one source of income. For example, I know of more than one person who has had their Adsense account suddenly banned by Google. Overnight lose of major income in some cases.

1. daybreak profile image80
      daybreakposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is an issue but in terms of the total audience, 120,000 is a very tiny percentage.

2. Thriller profile image60
      Thrillerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you wirewoman. To put all the eggs in Adsense basket is plain foolish. If for any reason your account gets suspended that's the end of it. My friend's account got suspended for a very silly reason and that too because Google changed its policy long after his blog was online.

That's why setting up an independent site with a mix of adsense and other ad networks is a wise option

10. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Moreover, the blocking often interferes with other things you want to see, so many quickly abandon it as being simply too annoying to bother with.

11. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

12. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Not ironic. It prevents accidental clicks from your IP, which makes your position more safe. Many publishers use it for other different reasons.

13. brettb profile image60
    brettbposted 13 years ago

For us folk with programming knowledge Google could just give us a web service for fetching our Ads. Then they couldn't be blocked. I've already used their Recaptcha ASP.NET component and it took 5 minutes to glue it onto my site.

14. almurray profile image69
    almurrayposted 13 years ago

It's the peoples choice. If they decide they do not want ads who are we to force feed them.

Hopefully by using a variety of income sources it will counteract any problems in the future.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)