jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Profanity Query

1. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

I don't know if this should be a question or not, but my last question got pulled becuase it apparently started a conversation.  So I'll try here.

What amount or level of profanity is allowed in a hub page?

Are some words OK, but not others?

There is a point to this, rather than just typing a lot of swearing - I have an idea for a little hub thang.

Thanks.

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

I'd guess that "damn" and "hell" might be ok, but the rest of them are probably a no-no.smile

3. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

I have applied the characters

( * )hole or ( @ )wipe

a few times. "Hell" Seems perfectly acceptable to me, I think I got the "damn" point across

but than again, some people just can't play pictionary

4. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 6 years ago

Just a thought: HubPages works well for informational and educational articles. If you want to publish something that is opinion driven then you should consider starting your own blog.

And it won't matter how much profanity or obscenities you write. Unless you live in a country which prohibits such things.

Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps the question came across wrong.  I don't want to start a free for all bad language kind of thing.  I just genuinely wondered what the rules were so that I didn't step over them, and didn't waste time writing a hub in which the whole point is about obscenity checkers with a potential punchline of a single F word obscentiy.

Probably wasting my time. And yours.

5. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Only the HP team knows for sure how much is too much. But if I were you, I'd prepare to get jiggy with a whole bunch of # @ and ! thingees. smile

6. Reality Bytes profile image91
    Reality Bytesposted 6 years ago

I think PG-13 would be about appropriate?

PG 13 - that's sounds OK.  If it's anything like the 13 year olds I know pretty much covers it.  Or is this Disney style?

I'll do the hub and see what happens - but the punchline will need to be "cr*p" I guess.

7. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 6 years ago

From http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

It's recommended that you get clarification from the admin team before you publish anything if you wish to avoid having something unpublished or incurring a ban.

Thank you very much.  It's why I posed the question.  I certainly don't want to get banned, nor do I want to push the profanity boat out as it were.  I will read the rules soon, and I am genuinely grateful to you.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

I discovered the solution to my problems - a shareware profanity checker.  Now there's no possibility of a careless mistake.

working