I am confident I write well enough, but the traffic isn't there ...

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Brupie profile image65
    Brupieposted 13 years ago

I joined hub pages six months ago, but didn't publish my first hub until about 6 weeks ago.  I worked hard on them, am sure they are better written than many, but the traffic isn't there.  Suggestions?

1. Ruben Rivera profile image61
      Ruben Riveraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you do keyword research, do you promote your hubs?

I have also read and I have also experienced that for example if you have ten hubs probably one or two will bring you the traffic given of course keyword research has been done and SEO as well, so basically the more you write the more chances to get taffic.

Good luck

2. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Ruben. Until you learn more about how to get traffic and what works - basically throw mud at a wall and see what sticks.

I originally joined in January & it took me about five months to earn $5. I didn't get much traffic but I wrote sporadically too. However now I write about 5 hubs a week on average and it's rare that my hubs don't get a google view (or 5) in the first 24 hours of publication.

However hubs (and anything online) don't get traffic overnight. Usually it takes between 6-9 months to start seeing serious traffic to a hub. My advice would be what Ruben said - WRITE WRITE WRITE. What you are writing today WILL bring you traffic (and usually money with it) if you keep at it.

The only suggestion I have is work more on your titles - they are good, but you need to try and address what people are typing into search engines. For instance I doubt anyone is typing "the dorm gourmet" into a search engine; on the other hand I'm sure there are a reasonable amount of searches for Mongolian beef or even terms like 'Beef recipes' or 'dinner for two.'

If you still aren't getting good traffic writing on a range of general (but not TOO general) topics with good quality content after 100 hubs, I'd definitely be surprised.

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

I would add at least one picture to my second text capsule.  This way your avatar does not show up on each hub.

Split up your text, you will get adds in the middle of your article.

Other then that, it just takes time for that sweet search engine traffic.  smile

You can place links in this category for your hubs.  I will put one up for you.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-an-Inv … of-the-Day

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

So basically it is six weeks.

Too short a period of time.  Also, what does low traffic mean to you?  Ten visitors a day? A hundred?  A thousand?  Not knowing what you expect, I don't know if you are being realistic.

4. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Stems from keyword problems. The right keywords will get you more views.

5. cre8tive profile image82
    cre8tiveposted 13 years ago

Hi Brupie

I'm certainly no expert but for what it's worth ...

I've read your 'Ingredients' hub which I really enjoyed - but - I don't think I'd have ever found it just from searching on the internet. As others have said keyword reseach is key as is age of your hubs - when pcunix says 6 weeks is too short he's 100% right - it is too short a time for anything beyond an initial 'beginners luck' surge.

A couple of things struck me - it looks like you're using a couple of capsules at most. With your first capsule I would consider splitting the para at 'Throwing out' and making that section just long enough to create the advertising block to the right.

Then start the points in a new capsule - and i'd even consider splitting this into various capsules with at least one photo or amazon capsule ~ for example you mention rice cookers - use a picture to highlight what you mean.

Anyway, as I said, I'm no expert but I did enjoy your article so I'm going to stop now and wish you well for the future ~ and please ingore the spelling mistakes that probably pepper this ~ can't seem to type tonight without having to redo it 100 times.

6. LondonGirl profile image80
    LondonGirlposted 13 years ago

What sort of traffic do you get? What are you aiming for?

7. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Six weeks isn't long as far as picking up traffic goes.  I don't necessarily think you ought to be concerned.  Just keep writing, maybe do a little posting here in the forums and/or read and comment on some people's Hubs (so more people start to know you're here).  Promoting your Hubs may help your outside traffic pick up a little faster.

8. Brupie profile image65
    Brupieposted 13 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for so much feedback and so quickly!  To answer the question about traffic, I had been getting about four visits a day total when I had seven hubs, some of which had been out there for several weeks.

I started breaking up my hubs more recently, apparently that is the thing to do.  Thanks again.

9. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

It's too bad that you didn't make Hubs when you first started.  The HubNuggets contest really has given my traffic a boost, but you are only eligible for that if you have been on HubPages for less than 60 days.

Once I had some Hubs that got scores above 80, I started to see a lot more traffic from the search engines.  Of course, for me "more" is only about 40 visits a day but my traffic IS way up from a month ago, LOL!

1. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hub Nuggets didn't do poop for the Hub I won one with,it still comes down to whether or not it's a subject people want to find information on. Hubbers rarely click on  ads either. I actually deleted the Hub i won with even though it was on page 1 of google for my main keyword too.

What I realized was the targeted keyword didn't do much for me because of the lack of being able to set up snazzy affiliate ads on Hub Pages. It would have been better suited to be a portal to a website selling related products,but since I didn't want to pursue that niche I just trashed it.

10. LondonGirl profile image80
    LondonGirlposted 13 years ago

I joined nearly 3 years ago. I published a hub yesterday, but other than that, my last hub (I have about 50 in total) was published in July 2009.

And yet mine, after gaining traction, do continue to pull in the readers. I've had, for example, about 17,000 views in the last 30 days.

It does take time. It also takes a certian amount of SEO - are people searching for what you are writing? Can you alter the titles, to make them search engine friendly?

11. profile image0
    Dalyinxposted 13 years ago

On Hubpages, traffic typically comes from two sources: Hubpages itself and search engines.  I'll go over ways to increase both types of traffic.

In order to get traffic from Hubpages, you need two primary things.  The first is followers.  These are most useful for when you first publish a Hub, as people get email notifications when you put one up.  In addition to followers, you'll want to increase your Hubscore in order to rank higher on the 'best' section for the category in which your hub is indexed.

Having relevant tags and a high hubscore will also let your hub show up on the related hubs box, which is located on the right side of most hubs.  This is a fantastic way of getting traffic if you write quality articles.  One suggestion I have is to break your text up into multiple capsules.  This seems to increase hubscore and will also aid in SEO, which I'll explain below.

When looking at your hubs, I see that you haven't made much of an effort to optimize them for SEO.  One of the first things I noticed is that you didn't use a custom summary.  It is recommended that you do this in order to make your hub rank for the keywords you selected.  In addition to this, breaking your hubs up into capsules or utilizing H1 and H2 tags will help your hubs rank for keywords contained in the tags.

Once you've done the on-page SEO, you should do some social bookmarking in order to build links to your hub.  You'll only need to build a few links to rank for less competitive keywords.  You can get them by forum posting, submitting to social networking sites, or blog commenting.  The type of links you generally want are the dofollow sort.  Google it.

Having a high hubscore will make Hubpages favor your hub in their internal linking structure, leading to more internal links pointing to your particular article.  This will also help it increase its rank in Google.

Overall, I'd say just keep putting out good content and break up your text into more capsules.  It can take a few months until you really start noticing the effects of SEO, depending on the competition of the keyword and rate of backlink development.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)