Broken links report

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. tonymac04 profile image72
    tonymac04posted 13 years ago

The broken links report showing a broken link in one of my Hubs but when I go to the Hub in edit mode I cannot find any such link. This has happened a few times now. I would post a link to the affected Hubs but don't want to infringe TOS!

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

The report is more like a service to you. If you find that it is incorrect, you can ignore the warning without any TOS implications.

tonymac04posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks - just wondered if there are any negative effects of broken links?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Broken links are bad for your readers' experience. If there are too many, a hub could become substandard.

I think I may have misunderstood you about TOS. If you want help to get your links checked out, you can post links to your hubs in the Extreme Hub Makeover forum without problems.

2. tonymac04 profile image72

I think I have worked out what it might be - the broken links are in the RSS feeds which are from a local news agency. I guess something happens to the links when the agency changes its feed. A possibility?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never would have thought of that, to be honest. But sure, RSS feeds are links.

The more I look at Hubs with the little triangle next to them the more I believe this to be the case. I go to the Hub in edit mode and find nothing highlighted in yellow. So I'm guessing the link has meanwhile changed and the HubPages logic is working on a link which is no longer there.
          It's making things a bit time-consuming going without real reason to all those Hubs but it is also providing me with an opportunity (or excuse!) to do other little tweaks while I'm there.
          Also I got a bit worried about the sudden profusion of little black triangles when before they had been rather rare.
          Something has changed at HubPages but I'm not clear as to what.

3. larryfreeman profile image79
    larryfreemanposted 13 years ago

Hi TonyMac04,

Thanks very much for reporting this issue.

There is a known problem with checking the links of RSS feeds.

I've added it to my queue to fix.

I'll post on this thread when there is an update.

-Larry

4. tonymac04 profile image72
    tonymac04posted 13 years ago

Thanks Larry  - as always, your attention is apprecitated!

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I've had several broken links lately and have had no problem fixing them. They were all tied to the RSS Feed, which means that the links to other Hubber's hubs is what was broken.

What I found was that when I went to the Hub in question in edit mode there were no links highlighted in yellow. Then when I clicked on "Done editing" and went back to my Hub statistics page the little black triangle was gone. So there was clearly a problem with links that had been broken and then the links were changed. It was happening most in RSS capsules where the RSS feed was from a local news agency.
      Larry Freeman has indicated that there is a problem in the RSS feed links.
      I'm sure the problem will be fixed.

6. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I have had a lot of this problem recently and usually the links are to Facebook from my hubs but I have no idea why! They work OK!

1. larryfreeman profile image79
      larryfreemanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bard of Ely,

Thanks for reporting your experience with the broken link report  and Facebook.  I investigated and found an issue which will be fixed with the next update to the web site.

-Larry

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)