jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)

FIXED: Valid URLs show broken (retest to fix)

1. profile image0
    DMartelonlineposted 5 years ago

Over the last few days I have had a few hubs show up with "broken links"> when I go to those links however they work just fine. Today, my Twitter profile link showed up as broken and it works fine. I tried removing it and adding it back in and it comes up broken again.

Any ideas? Thanks wink

1. Dale Hyde profile image89
      Dale Hydeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

These errors take place when the server that the site sits on is running slow due to high traffic or maintenance. They will do as you experienced, correct themselves many times. I have them show up occasionally myself.

The biggest broken link issue I have been experiencing is in hubs where I link to other member's hubs. They suddenly unpublish the hub, get booted off of HP, or something along those lines leaving no hub to link to... I then simply go in, click "edit" on the hub and find the broken link highlighted and unlink it. This has been happening more and more, so as a result, I have been linking less and less to other member's hubs.

1. cascoly profile image60
        cascolyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i've experienced that same problem of badlinks due to other hubs disappearing - and you're right, the easy solution is not to link to other hubs! unfortunate  - there should be a way HP can disable links within hubpages without the reader getting an error

2. Matthew Meyer profile image74
      Matthew Meyerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@DMartelonline

Sometimes this can also be the result of links being visible to you, but not to everyone else.  An example would be a specific Twitter URL that requires some sort of login in order to access.

In such a case, you may have a cookie and have logged in at some point, while our system that inspects links does not have the ability to login to twitter.

Do you have a specific link and or a Hub containing such a link?

1. profile image0
        DMartelonlineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No I actually removed the link - it was to my direct Twitter feed and was showing up as broken. This wasn't the only one though so I've just learned to double check them. Thanks for responding.

3. The Dirt Farmer profile image98
      The Dirt Farmerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm having this problem again too. I go to the hubs and nothing's highlighted yellow because all the links are okay (I have checked them). Hopefully it will resolve itself soon.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image92
    Anti-Valentineposted 5 years ago

I have one hub with a link that acts up every now and again like this too.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image74

Thanks to everyone for reporting this.
      We have sent this to our engineering team to be addressed.

1. Sally's Trove profile image85
        Sally's Troveposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Two of my hubs are showing broken link notices, while no links are broken. The links have been in the hubs for a very long time and they do not point to accounts that have to be logged in to by me. I received the most recent broken link notice just this morning. The other notice occurred perhaps 5 weeks ago and still remains; I just chose to ignore it, until now.

Just to let you know the problem is still occurring.

3. Bard of Ely profile image86
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

I am having this problem with HubPages saying that videos are not working when they are.

4. ocbill profile image67
    ocbillposted 5 years ago

I used to get those a lot and they weren't broken. I guess they fixed it on some servers.

5. Sally's Trove profile image85
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

Bump.

This isn't fixed.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image92
      Anti-Valentineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree -- it isn't. But I don't think you're allowed to bump threads, apparently. I saw someone get chewed out for doing that not too long ago. Namely, Cagsil.

6. profile image0

I found one finally that is really working and is showing up as a broken link. My hub "California Dog Bite Laws" links to this page: http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stus … htm#s31602 which is working fine (it's in the links section) and it is showing up as broken when I select edit. I am not going to remove it this time since I have been able to validate that it works whether I'm logged in or not. Thanks Doreen

So, this is still an issue.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image74

@DMartelonline Sorry for any frustration caused and thank you for bringing the information to our attention.

I looked at the Hub and it was showing the link as broken.
      I clicked the warning icon and then did a retest for the link.
      The link is now showing as valid.

I think this was caused by a temporary network connectivity issue a bit back, but it looks like we are now validating the links, albeit only when you manually check the button to retest a link.

Here is where one can retest the links:
      http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/broken-links

Thank you so much for the "self-test" feature. It worked great. I tested both links, found that they are "good", and now I don't have any broken link notices in my hub list. Excellent tool!

2. WannaB Writer profile image96
        WannaB Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. that helped. This has been driving me crazy, since I knew those links weren't broken.

7. profile image0

Thank you Matthew for following up on this. The notification has in fact vanished and all of my links seem to be working fine.

I do have to admit that I love the feature of being warned when links are broken, after all, pages do change over time.

Thanks again for the work on this. Doreen

working