jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What are those numbers in the comments section?

1. Dolores Monet profile image99
    Dolores Monetposted 7 years ago

In the comments section, just below the box for accept or deny, I see 2 letters and a bunch of numbers. What is that? (I've been here for almost two years and never noticed them before. Dolores is quite unobservant)

2. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 7 years ago

you mean the ip numbers?  the internet address of the poster?

3. Dolores Monet profile image99

Should the ip address appear like that in comments? I should not see anyone's op address. Of course that means that they can see mine. Could not a stinker use that address to cause mayhem?

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can only see ip addresses on your own hubs. 

Yes, other hubbers can see your address in comments you left on their hubs.

4. SteveoMc profile image75
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

Where have I been all this time?   I have looked at thousands of comments, never noticed the ip before, even asked someone how they knew the ip address.   LOL  What a dummy I am.   Learn something every day here.

5. Dolores Monet profile image99

But is that a good idea? It doesn't sound safe! Dolores is confused!

6. Aficionada profile image90
    Aficionadaposted 7 years ago

It's a form of protection against spammers and trolls and people who post under several different accounts.  Or people who have been banned and then opened another account (using the same computer).  It is one way that you can see whether it is the same person in another guise. 

As wilderness said, only the Hubber whose account it is can see the IP address, not the other commenters or readers.

7. Dolores Monet profile image99

Well, thank you Aficionada, for the explanation. If you have a stalker or a pest, you can write down their ip and keep an eye out for troublemakers. However - suppose there is an evil hubber with nefarious intent. They can comment on folks in hopes of a return comment, then they'll have lots of ip addresses to use for their diabolical purposes.

working